Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you could buy any triathlon bike today which and why? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Chemist wrote:
With no regards to budget....if my focus was Ironman racing, I'd go with a PX (lots of data on how fast it is, lots of storage and easy to pack and travel from what I hear), if it was 70.3 or shorter or needing a UTI approved time trial bike, I would pick the P5d. That said, they are all pretty expensive, so a used P5 or a Speed Concept is what I would go for if I was buying a bike and didn't want to break the bank.

I don't put a ton of stock in race results, but thought it was interesting to see the bike brands ridden by the podium finishers at Challenge Daytona PTO Championship

Men:
1. Giant
2. Quintana Roo
3. Ribble

Women
1. Trek
2. Cervelo
3. Canyon

What, in particular, did you find interesting about these results?

I think the biggest take-away I get is that it's not about the bike, but how good a runner you are afterwards.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy any triathlon bike today which and why? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the fly adjustable front end. Both the stack like on the P5X and reach similar to that. Millimeter markings so I can play with it with precision.

Saddle adjustment that can be tweaked a lot, again with markings and ease of returning to how it was, without fear that something will bend break or strip. Most aero seatpost collars I've encountered are at risk of stripping or breaking in some way.

Fast aero frame, sure sure sure, but fit is everything. I want to play with it. Been fitted umpteen times by umpteen different people and is never quite right.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy any triathlon bike today which and why? [TStender] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice gear. I like the look of the front hydration
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy any triathlon bike today which and why? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We really need a new crowd funded aero shootout to settle this armchair judging of what’s fastest.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy any triathlon bike today which and why? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honest question, if you are a AG athlete, why does a UCI Legal bike even matter?

I've got a P3X, love it and UCI legality was never even a thought for me.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy any triathlon bike today which and why? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not all armchairs. Some people are testing it's just not public. Here is a 2-month-old post from Xavier on the WW forum, calling out some of the current bikes (keep in mind the Shiv is the TT version, not tri):

"If you mean TT bikes then most of them are actually pretty good. Certainly a lot more has gone into some of them than you might expect, for example the Colnago K One that all the media think is terrible, is fine for aero. Out of the newer disc brake models the Cervelo P5 and Specialized Shiv, as well as the slightly older BMC TM01 are all very fast. They all have their little intricacies: the P5 is quite heavy and the stock extensions aren't great, the Shiv you can't hide eTap blip boxes very easily, Bolide TT (which is incredibly fast) uses 20mm extensions so you have to go aftermarket to be helpful, new Lapierre Aerostorm has an integrated option for extensions but it's bonded round poles rather than shaped poles, BEX's Bianchi uses Vision integrated extensions that everyone wants to hold higher than Vision intended, Factor Slick is quite heavy, Trek Speedconcept you can't use a lot of rear wheels, the list goes on.
The Cannondale Superslice is fast - one of our team riders has just got hold of one and I think we're going to try and get it in the tunnel at some point but it never made the headlines because Cannondale weren't that interested in selling them to the general public.

Personally I ride a rim brake Shiv at the moment. If I were to upgrade to a disc brake TT bike I'd probably get the BMC as it's not too heavy, the front end is plenty adjustable and I like the seatpost design, or failing that the Shiv TT disc if I wasn't using eTap. The Shiv TT disc is really light which I quite like."
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy any triathlon bike today which and why? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Chemist wrote:
With no regards to budget....if my focus was Ironman racing, I'd go with a PX (lots of data on how fast it is, lots of storage and easy to pack and travel from what I hear), if it was 70.3 or shorter or needing a UTI approved time trial bike, I would pick the P5d. That said, they are all pretty expensive, so a used P5 or a Speed Concept is what I would go for if I was buying a bike and didn't want to break the bank.

I don't put a ton of stock in race results, but thought it was interesting to see the bike brands ridden by the podium finishers at Challenge Daytona PTO Championship

Men:
1. Giant
2. Quintana Roo
3. Ribble

Women
1. Trek
2. Cervelo
3. Canyon

What, in particular, did you find interesting about these results?

I think the biggest take-away I get is that it's not about the bike, but how good a runner you are afterwards.

Ok, but I think you are also missing a major event that happens between the completion of T1 and the start of the run that involves exertion of physical exercise by humans.

It’s only “all about the run” if your swim and bike times allow you to be within a certain distance of the front of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy any triathlon bike today which and why? [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
Honest question, if you are a AG athlete, why does a UCI Legal bike even matter?

I've got a P3X, love it and UCI legality was never even a thought for me.

I totally agree. I've done a handful of USAC sanctioned TT's locally since 2018. 2018 I did clip ons on a road bike. I wouldn't be "that guy" showing up on a P5X or Ventum in the P/1/2 category, but you'll never see them turn somebody away due to the the "bike" being an issue in the lower categories. Or I've never heard of it, and I've seen folks in the 4/5 category show up on a P5X before.

I own a UCI version of the Giant Trinity Pro. I bought the front triathlon hydration for training rides. It works really well. IMO it's a more practical solution than the Shiv with the BTS wing and long tubing, and other "in the frame" style ones simply due to cleaning ease. Simply lift it off and wash it in the sink and put it back on. It's off or on in a minute or two if you're not racing with it in a TT instead of a tri where you'd use it.

Only drawback IMO is that I do notice it adds a bit of "deep wheel" yaw effect to the front end when you run that thing on there.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy any triathlon bike today which and why? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My $0.02 is that cockpit adjustability should also rank super highly. How the bike does in the tunnel is small compared with how your body sits on the bike, and you just will never get in a good position if it takes 30mins to adjust the cockpit every time. The new Cervelo's are pretty good (I have only a little experience with them though). The Canyon kind of sucks -- I would ebay the front end and go TriRig. The Trek is obviously very old now but is pretty good and a great used option (betting they finally update it this coming year). That or a used P5 with TriRig front end might be the best price/performance option. Personally if I were in the market today I would go P5d for new, or used Trek or P5/Tririg. You can also get great deals on used rim brake race wheels.

Edit: when I posted the above I didn't know about the new Canyon front end, which looks decent but I'd have to see it in person to be sure.
Last edited by: lanierb: May 14, 21 14:20
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy any triathlon bike today which and why? [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the main issue i have with my speed concept (aside from the brakes being crap which is in part due to the position rather than the tech) is that its just such a rough ride compared to my venge. the frame aerodynamics are probably not that much different but the riding experience is so much worse that i just don't ride it enough.

are any of the newer TT/tri bikes more compliant? i understand beam bikes are supposed to be better for this and have heard some positive comments abut how the newish shiv rides, can anyone give like for like comparisons?
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy any triathlon bike today which and why? [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
My $0.02 is that cockpit adjustability should also rank super highly. How the bike does in the tunnel is small compared with how your body sits on the bike, and you just will never get in a good position if it takes 30mins to adjust the cockpit every time. The new Cervelo's are pretty good (I have only a little experience with them though). The Canyon kind of sucks -- I would ebay the front end and go TriRig. The Trek is obviously very old now but is pretty good and a great used option (betting they finally update it this coming year). That or a used P5 with TriRig front end might be the best price/performance option. Personally if I were in the market today I would go P5d for new, or used Trek or P5/Tririg. You can also get great deals on used rim brake race wheels.

Thoughts on Canyon front end? IMO, it angles, lengthens, risers/lowers, has multiple cups available. Really, the first 'superbar' to come as OEM. And as adjustable as the Wattshop bar, which is $1.5k aftermarket (and loads better than the TriRig). I think I'd take the Canyon as my next bike, pretty easily too.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy any triathlon bike today which and why? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
lanierb wrote:

Thoughts on Canyon front end? IMO, it angles, lengthens, risers/lowers, has multiple cups available. Really, the first 'superbar' to come as OEM. And as adjustable as the Wattshop bar, which is $1.5k aftermarket (and loads better than the TriRig). I think I'd take the Canyon as my next bike, pretty easily too.
Hmm looking at the web site I've apparently never worked with the new version so I take it back! I've literally worked on current (2021) World Tour Pro Canyon bikes and they are the old style and a PITA. The new ones look like they have potential but I'd have to work on them to know for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
lanierb wrote:

Hmm looking at the web site I've apparently never worked with the new version so I take it back! I've literally worked on current (2021) World Tour Pro Canyon bikes and they are the old style and a PITA. The new ones look like they have potential but I'd have to work on them to know for sure.

Also: wrist piece angles and can be replaced with different hand pieces. I’m in. Maybe in the below build:

- 1x Wattshop cratus crank (52t please!) https://www.shopforwatts.co.uk/products/cratus-crank
- Wahoo aero powermeter pedals
- sram red
- Revolver TroikaMax front and Assym Disc rear
- Miles V8 TT saddle (as seen on Sam’s and Rudy’s bikes)

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: May 14, 21 14:57
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy any triathlon bike today which and why? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
As of right now I think my first choice would be the new argon18 e119 disc coming out in the new year.

Big Unit put up a video on his Argon. Super sleek, sick looking whip!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKxxLMHrELQ

YO! YO! YO!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next