Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

13.1 WR Today in Valencia - 57:32 -
Quote | Reply
Kibiwott Kandie of Kenya broke the men’s half marathon record by 29 seconds on Sunday at the Valencia Half Marathon with a time of 57:32. Three other men also ran under the previous world best mark.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: 13.1 WR Today in Valencia - 57:32 - [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4:23 per mi!e pace...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang. I was paying attention to the PTO championship and missed this.

5K road, 5K track, 10k track, 1 hour record, and now the half marathon. Lots of distance running records went down this year. I wonder if it being an Olympic year with no Olympics to compete at had any effect

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: 13.1 WR Today in Valencia - 57:32 - [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is insane. There are a lot of funny times this year.
Quote Reply
Re: 13.1 WR Today in Valencia - 57:32 - [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

5K road, 5K track, 10k track, 1 hour record, and now the half marathon. Lots of distance running records went down this year. I wonder if it being an Olympic year with no Olympics to compete at had any effect

Or almost no drug testing.
Quote Reply
Re: 13.1 WR Today in Valencia - 57:32 - [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

There it is...

These guys have blood thicker than molasses. He set the WR at 13.1 in a pace faster than he's ever run a 5k/10k. No out of competition testing has allowed basically every record to be shattered. Plus the extra bouncy shoes don't hurt
Quote Reply
Re: 13.1 WR Today in Valencia - 57:32 - [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
trail wrote:

There it is...

These guys have blood thicker than molasses. He set the WR at 13.1 in a pace faster than he's ever run a 5k/10k. No out of competition testing has allowed basically every record to be shattered. Plus the extra bouncy shoes don't hurt

yes valencia winners have been busted before. Also this is WR with asterisk - *carbon/foam spring shoe era*

running races need to stop noting times and focus on position place winners just like triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: 13.1 WR Today in Valencia - 57:32 - [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Chemist wrote:

Yeah, it’s sad to reduce our evaluation of performances to records=drugs, but with the records this year, with very little in-competition testing, I’m going with records=drugs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's not even wearing Vaporflys.Clearly doping.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
trail wrote:

There it is...

I hate to admit, but I'm thinking the same thing seeing a lot of this stuff recently.

I didn't look it up, but if true......damn......faster 1/2 than a 5k or 10k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to see the side cameras to understand how fast they are going. It's mind boggling. 16 second 100 meters. Like a dead out sprint.

They went through 15K only 0:04 off the 15K world record. Can I assume a 10 mile world record was thus set during this half marathon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
He set the WR at 13.1 in a pace faster than he's ever run a 5k/10k.

He's run multiple sub 59 half marathons before this. Whether he's doped or not I have no clue, but to imply that he's a doped up one-hit wonder who has never run anything fast before is simply false.
Quote Reply
Re: 13.1 WR Today in Valencia - 57:32 - [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's obviously a very talented runner. Not saying anything otherwise. But to drop from 58:38 to 57:32 is absolutely insane.

Most people running a 1:20 HM would be thrilled to shave over a minute off their PR. Doing this while already under an hour is mind boggling

Also 4 athletes going sub-58 including is beyond fishy. In any event, how often do you see a world records broken by 4 people?
Last edited by: indianacyclist: Dec 7, 20 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I don't know. He was wearing the new Adidas super shoe. Maybe it's better than the Nike supershoes. Maybe he's got 60 percent hematocrit going on thanks to Covid and no testing. Who knows. Maybe a race sending pacesetters out at 2:35 kms to start gets them going where they need to be. Fwiw, 57:32 is still worse pace adjusted than marathon WR of 2:01:39.

You said he had never run a 5K at the pace he set the half marathon WR at, implying he's a nobody who set a crazy WR out of nowhere, and given he was already in the top 3 half marathoners ever I thought that was misleading. That's all. I have no idea whether the fast performances of late are simply like the bodysuit era of swimming (ie, the shoes) or whether we are seeing new doping.
Quote Reply
Re: 13.1 WR Today in Valencia - 57:32 - [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
He's not even wearing Vaporflys.Clearly doping.

Almost all shoe companies copied vaporfly technology.

I think the last honest natural running focused shoe companies are altra and topo. OC and Solomon also maybe not on the carbon-foam trend either
Quote Reply