Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Forget Kona - We need a rotating annual championship [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right but what PTO is doing is taking out the AG component in respect to the direction of the pro racing series that they are CURRENTLY developing and marketing. They are basically adding onto the current ITU / SL pro franchises that are broadcast. They are marketing essentially a Middle distance triathlon sport to the masses.

So they are putting together a middle distance broadcast product that showcases the pro races. It may not work, it may not get any tv/online viewership and thus with no viewership numbers you won't get more investments from companies. And that's fine. Triathlon is a pretty boring sport from an "tv viewership". PTO races are still far too long to "hold interest", but what you have to say is- they are putting together a product and putting it in front of people. You have to acknowledge that, and so if your asking how PTO gets an unified product....that would be how. Through the success of what they are currently doing. But again it may not work. I dont even watch the entire Kona broadcast. I watch the swim and about the 1st 90 mins of the bike (basically see where the bike groups are and the splits they have to overcome), and then i tune back in last 20mi of the bike. I find Kona run entirely boring. There's hardly ever anything exciting going on. It's what 3-5 passes for the lead at most?? So they have a HUGE entertainment hurdle, but that's also why I think they are putting together what a 3hr race package. It's somewhat more doable than an 8-10hr race.

(SL actually does have AG races at each venue...that's essentialy what PTO is looking to do).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 24, 21 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: Forget Kona - We need a rotating annual championship [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
This is classic ST thread of "solution looking for a problem"

With your logic kids would still play with wooden toys. Rigid, inflexible, stubborn,, and unevolving thinking is not a good look.

Please.

First of all. maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing if more kids played with wooden toys. Please see: the countless, countless studies done on the benefits of imaginative play.

Regarding moving a IM world champ around - the argument that has been going on here for quite some time is that, generally, people feel like more people should be able to partake in a championship. Or get to race on the Kona course.

A problem for them. But not a problem for Ironman or for the people who qualify.

So, they come up with solutions looking to solve their problem.

There's nothing riding, inflexible or stubborn at all. This is how the world works. Some things you can obtain (by work, ingenuity, training, money...or a combination). Some things you can't.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Forget Kona - We need a rotating annual championship [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

As the poster of that, I used to compete at a high level in junior golf travelling about. Got my rear end kicked by Webb Simpson once. To us, there were three EQUAL prestigious tournaments each year. Masters, US Open, The Open (UK). We viewed the PGA championship as more "meh". Either way, as a kid, you'd dream of winning any of those three. Those were the three events where you'd pretend with your buds you were putting for the win on the 72nd hole.

burnthesheep wrote:
I grew up playing and competing all the Pinehurst courses. Our high school districted to play those schools for a year or two. So it was always a "religious" event when the Open came to town.

Oh come on!! We all know and even you yourself above said "the Open" doesn't ever take place at Pinehurst or anywhere in the US!!

Haha, I should stick the tried and true naming convention with "THE" Open kind of being like "THE Ohio State University" for the British tournament. The "the" matters.

But, consider the "The Open" for the Claret Jug moves courses also. The only course staying the same is the invite Masters.

But, given I viewed them as equally prestigious.........you've got two rotating shots at greatness!!!! Not just one. Almost like a NA and a Europe version.
Quote Reply
Re: Forget Kona - We need a rotating annual championship [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what happens if/when Kona kicks IM out? I always hear of 2 race events where the "locals" hate the race.....LP and Kona. L'ville had some weird race day hate going on with tacks on the courses, but I've read over the years that the locals hate those 2 races in particular. Maybe they won't get kicked out, but it will be interesting to see the reaction from the masses if they actually did have to leave Kona.

Go to Maui or the original location (I dont know the back story to the original race location as to why they moved it to the new Kona spot) or x new location?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Forget Kona - We need a rotating annual championship [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
So what happens if/when Kona kicks IM out? I always hear of 2 race events where the "locals" hate the race.....LP and Kona. L'ville had some weird race day hate going on with tacks on the courses, but I've read over the years that the locals hate those 2 races in particular. Maybe they won't get kicked out, but it will be interesting to see the reaction from the masses if they actually did have to leave Kona.

Go to Maui or the original location (I dont know the back story to the original race location as to why they moved it to the new Kona spot) or x new location?

Honestly - I don't know about any of that. And that's a different thing to what I was referring to (people creating solutions where there is no problem for IM, just a problem for them).

What you raise would actually be a problem for IM. In which they would need to find a solution.

Two different things.
Quote Reply
Re: Forget Kona - We need a rotating annual championship [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure, I just brought it up cus I've read about it every year seemingly that those 2 race locations for sure seem to have some major local hate towards the race. But then again they are so engrained into the cities that it's probaly just an accepted 2 week annoyance of trihards overtaking their city.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Forget Kona - We need a rotating annual championship [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
This topic comes up every year. I doubt a repeat discussion on Slowtwitch will change the Ironman corporation to move it from Kona.

Missed a part

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
This is classic ST thread of "solution looking for a problem"

Regarding moving a IM world champ around - the argument that has been going on here for quite some time is that, generally, people feel like more people should be able to partake in a championship. Or get to race on the Kona course.

A problem for them. But not a problem for Ironman or for the people who qualify.

So, they come up with solutions looking to solve their problem.

You are assuming that all the people commenting here have this 'problem' and arent just commenting on how they think the IM world championships can be improved as a whole. Looking at the state of Ironman finances, exploring all options of improvement should be done, not just sticking with 'tradition' for traditions sake.

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Re: Forget Kona - We need a rotating annual championship [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I am just happy to have done the race there in Kona a number of times starting in the 80's, 90's and up to the early 2000's, it was always something special going there. I loved going to Kona for that race knowing that you either got there by qualifying or you never raced that course. Yes you can move it to some other location but it would be just another race at a location anyone before could have raced.

Yes I did the old Keauhou Kona half ironman and many of the early Honu races but again they were races everyone could do if they entered but not quite the same as Ironman. I guess many people in the sport today disagree and would like it to move it, that's their choice but to some of us who have raced Kona it's a special place for sure. Even my 18 Ironman Canada races couldn't compare and I loved that race and I stopped racing Ironman back in 2008 after 28 races. Cheers LA Rob
Quote Reply
Re: Forget Kona - We need a rotating annual championship [TLT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am at the pointy end and don’t think I did more than 14 hours max in my ‘big’ build for my last one - I don’t think that’s a lot

So not true , can’t speak for anyone else of course

cheers

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Forget Kona - We need a rotating annual championship [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
I am at the pointy end and don’t think I did more than 14 hours max in my ‘big’ build for my last one - I don’t think that’s a lot

So not true , can’t speak for anyone else of course

cheers

Steve

re my genetics comment, i meant the pointy end of the pro field, not AG... but if you are at the pointy end of the pro on 14 hours then kudos!

I imagine you have years of experience and train consistently year round, which isnt what your average AG is/does.

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Re: Forget Kona - We need a rotating annual championship [hercules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have managed to race in Kona 3 times and have found the race to be 3 worst races of my nearly 20 IMs from course and conditions (ok, the swim is pretty fab). I love Hawaii (lived there as a boy) and have visit nearly a dozen times in the last 15 years, but would jump up and down to see the IM World Championship move around. Kona will always be a special race that will get tons of attention in the sport, but does not need to be their WC. The sport may actually be more popular by moving the WC around while keeping Kona, Kona.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Forget Kona - We need a rotating annual championship [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
Because people like to compare different generations and "who's the best" and you can only do that with the same conditions.

Other sports manage this just fine.

Ask yourself who the GOAT of cycling is. Any answer other than Merkx is a wrong one, and yet his TDF and Giro wins were on a different parcours year after year and he was able to in both in the 1 day cobbles, and on courses suited to climbers. Both the volume and the breadth of his victories tells us how good he was.

By contrast, all Kona tells us is that Lange can run well in the heat. Would he do just as well on another type of course against everyone else in peak condition? We'll never know unless the top athletes compete year after year under different conditions and parcours.

Put it this way, if the cycling world champs were held every year, we'd get a different view of who we thought was the greatest:
-Fleche/mur de huy: Valverde
-Roubaix: Roger de Vlammick

Nah, Lemond is the GOAT. Eddie is just another doper.
Quote Reply
Re: Forget Kona - We need a rotating annual championship [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would much rather qualify and take my family to Kona, the to a round circle if Florida..

Of course I am not close to qualifying so doesn't matter what I think

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Forget Kona - We need a rotating annual championship [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is Lemons the goat of cycling?

Ignoring the vitamin b injections that cured his low rbc count.....Did he mark allen the classics and grand tours the way eddy merycx did? Did he win giro tdf and vuelta in a row like Froome? Did he win 5 tdf and the hour record like indurain?;...
Quote Reply
Re: Forget Kona - We need a rotating annual championship [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

The original location was Oahu. Your chances of holding a race that involves major road closures for a 112-mile bike on Oahu or Maui is zero. But if you want to do an IM on those islands, you can - just sign up for Epic5.

Ian
Quote Reply

Prev Next