Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Feedback on titanium skewers ? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

It sure is interesting to see the wide range of success and failure with titanium skewers.

There is no reason a Ti skewer would be less reliable than a steel one with all else being the same.

You've gone from all else being the same to not being the same. A Ti skewer needs to be overbuilt relative to steel in order to compensate for the lower stiffness. Hopefully people are using solid hubs and forks with them and nothing ultralight. Definitely go for the reputable suppliers.

Edit: a 5*140 mm rod (typical for a front skewer) in Ti is going to be under 10g lighter than the same in steel. That's not much of a saving. There's more to be saved in reducing the weight of the rest of the hardware by more machining or using plastic and Aluminum where possible, (as well as reducing rod diameter, and using hollow spindles that some manufacturers do). Makes it more difficult, but not impossible, to achieve adequate clamping force. Either way, pay for the well- engineered skewers and know that weight savings is probably more due to design than rod material.
Last edited by: carlosflanders: Dec 5, 20 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: Feedback on titanium skewers ? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello DarkSpeedWorks and All,

https://view-speed.com/store

Sold several hundred skewers ... very few complaints ... very aero ... aircraft grade 5 Ti solid shaft

Axial failure test by Element Testing 3,681 pounds .... at skewer thread. S4 and S3 skewers had very similar numbers.

Element Materials Technology
Huntington Beach, CA

MIL STD 1312-8A/NASM 1312-8 (1)

You could hang a small car from one View-Speed Skewer ...

Used World Championships for track racing.

Patented D742777 and D742297

View-Speed Inc.

Skewer Installation Instructions

1. Remove your old skewer.
2. Insert your new View-Speed Inc. skewer.
3. Loctite has been applied to the skewer threads … ready to install.
4. Tighten skewer then loosen skewer so you know it will come off easily if you flat … retighten to 4 or 5 NM … good for several on and off cycles without more Loctite.
5. The keyed part of the nut faces in the open slot of the fork slot or dropout dropout opening.
6. Insure your bicycle wheel is aligned properly and tighten skewer with a 5mm hex key and torque wrench to not exceed 6 NM. Usually 4 or 5 NM is adequate.
7. Check that the skewer threads are fully engaged in the nut so the skewer is either showing 1 thread or the end of the skewer bolt is flush with the outer surface of the nut after cutting off excess skewer.
8. Check that your wheel is secure. (It should not have any play) The S4 skewer requires ¼ inch (6.35mm) or greater fork or dropout thickness. The S3 skewer fits most forks. You may cut off the excess threaded portion of the skewer flush with the nut keeping in mind that the skewer many not fit another bicycle with a different fork.
9. Before a race be sure to loosen your skewer and re-secure it to be sure you can operate it easily and quickly.
10. If you have questions please visit our website www.view-speed.com for more information.

View-Speed Inc. Guarantee and Warranty

100% Satisfaction Guarantee

View-Speed Inc. offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee on anything you buy from our website.
If you are not satisfied with one of our products at the time you receive it, or if one of our products does not perform to your satisfaction within 25 days of the purchase date, return it for a replacement, or a refund.
Anything you buy from one of our authorized retailers is guaranteed through the retailer. All exchanges and refunds must be done through the retailer where purchased. The retailer may have a different guarantee policy than the View-Speed website guarantee policy.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Feedback on titanium skewers ? [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:

You've gone from all else being the same to not being the same. A Ti skewer needs to be overbuilt relative to steel in order to compensate for the lower stiffness. Hopefully people are using solid hubs and forks with them and nothing ultralight. Definitely go for the reputable suppliers.

I mean all else equal in construction. Increased cam leverage to adjust for material flexibility is not a material/construction change. No need to overbuild at all, anywhere.

If a Ti skewer isn't working, it's because it is a bad skewer, not because it's made of Ti.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
dangle wrote:
I have had two different ones shift in a horizontal dropout QR bike. Steel only on that bike. Fantastic on vertical dropouts and an easy way to save grams for not too much money.

Interesting, good to know as well.

This would be for an older rim-brake P3 with very short horizontal dropouts, but it has those tiny adjuster screws. So, tough call ...

Anybody use ti skewers to good (or bad) effect on a P3 of 2012 vintage?

I used Zipp Ti skewers & American Classic Ti skewers on my 2010 P3 w/Zipp wheels w/out any issues. But I liked the feel of using steel better (not sure if the metal in the dropouts makes a different 1 vs the other or not)...but to me I just went with it & still use the steel ones. I have no data on that aside from "feel" while riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had Ti skewers for a while, can't say I could tell the difference between those or steel once on the bike. Probably not something I'd buy (mine were given to me) or recommend as an upgrade, just don't see much value.
Quote Reply

Prev Next