Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Going sub 18 in a 5k at 55 [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am about 82 kg (180 pounds) at 1.88m height (6’2”) and typically I am the heaviest runner at the front of the race.

But yes weighing 15 or even just 10 pounds more makes a big run difference
Quote Reply
Re: Going sub 18 in a 5k at 55 [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's get a date set for the mid December 5K and make that sub 18 happen!! Lot's of fast guys to run with on that event!
Quote Reply
Re: Going sub 18 in a 5k at 55 [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be December 21 - time yet to be decided
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Back in my 20s I ran 17:40 and similar but I think I am not that far off now that I am 55. Yesterday I narrowly missed going sub 18 by hitting exactly 18:00 according to Strava and Zwift, but it wasn’t that I ran out of gas, I simply started too slow and did not push up fast enough.

2 weeks ago I raced a Zwift 5k with fellow STer Luke Ehgoetz and although I started even slower I ended up with an 18:01.

I felt great after both of these races and after that previous one I ran 27 miles two days after. It seemed each time when I raced I was able to push hard at the end but the time kept slipping away.

Basically I started at 5:57 pace and then up clicked each km by one click. Then after 3k, I up clicked at 3.5k, 3.75k, abc then starting at 4k every .1k. And I was not struggling.

So start maybe a bit faster and then right away up click every .5 until 3.5 any then faster and faster

I take a little bit different tactic (and Im racing a little faster, but 5 years younger)...I start out redline, try to keep it as long as I can, and then just push it out as far as I can go. Usually upon review of my exercise file, I see little drop in speed (sometimes even a negative split), but an increase in HR all the way to the end.

Not sure if this helps, and an N=1.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
I think it is impressive to run sub 18 @ 55. I run with a very competent runner in his late 50s who has struggled to break it for years now.

I am almost 40 and had to work very hard this year to run a solo 16:48 (happy, but hard to brag when some of the fastest triathletes in my age group still run low 16s). Compared to my 20s, it seems as if the "fast twitch" really begins to disappear in our mid 30s.

In regard to pacing/warming up, the following has worked for me: Good 3-5 k progressive warm up with lots of strides to make sure you get activated. Dynamic stretching activation exercises in between strides. Quick 3-5 min cooldown just before the start.

I like to tart the first 200-400 m a tad faster than goal pace, just to get the engine going. Kind of like the first 50 m on a 400 m swim. Then settle in at around race pace after that, if training went well, it would feel as if you could go a bit faster, but save it for the last ~1.5 k when it gets real. If you paced it well, you might be able to speed up a bit towards the end of the race but would have to get really deep in the red zone. I find that if I wear a hear rate monitor it is a great way to check maximum heart rate. Good luck and feel free to update the post with your results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way back when I was 50-51, I ran once an 18:12 on an out and back - 180 deg turn race. Got third place, my best placing ever at that time. Never hit near that again, but had a few sub-19s. Now, at 65, with all sorts of back issues and now a bum hip, I'm lucky to go 23 minutes and its painful. Going in to get my hip checked on the 15th. I don't expect good news.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Going sub 18 in a 5k at 55 [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am very sure that my expectations in 10 years will vary quite a bit
Quote Reply
Re: Going sub 18 in a 5k at 55 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here’s some inspiration for you: http://japanrunningnews.blogspot.com/...s-10000-m-world.html

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply

Prev Next