Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Nothing screams innocent [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
gofigure wrote:

"If you hold the senate" does not necessarily equate to having a lock on how each senator then votes.

Agreed, but I fear we are getting dangerously close to that.

Hopefully the axiom of "dangerously close" only counting in horseshoes, hand grenades and atom bombs holds true.
Quote Reply
Re: Nothing screams innocent [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
No, it does not show messed up our politics is and Constitution needs updating. This is singularly laid at the feet of one president.

So... I'm going to use an extreme (and... sort of fun, in a very fatalistic sense) thought experiment that immediately struck me as an example that highlighted some of the problems with the pardon power. What if the president said, "I'm pardoning every single person from my political party for any crimes they might commit while I'm in office..." I'm not sure exactly what would happen next, but... off the top of my head, I can think of at least 4 ways that society would breakdown within months (or sooner).

I think there are a number of institutions and rules that rely on people fundamentally behaving in good faith and following established norms, and—if the last 4 years has taught me anything—it's that I would be pretty foolish to count on the US electorate to select someone who was willing to act in good faith and respect norms. At this point, my tendency is to assume that any power that can't be given guardrails to prevent it from being abused in a way that causes massive societal harm is too great a power to be allocated to any individual.
Quote Reply
Re: Nothing screams innocent [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
gofigure wrote:
Guff wrote:
This highlights how messed up US politics are is and how much much the US Constitution is in need of an update. If Trump pardons himself and his kin, this effectively eliminates accountability for their action. It sends a message that a President does not need to answer to the people, the courts, or anyone because he can always 'pardon' his crimes away.

No, it does not show messed up our politics is and Constitution needs updating. This is singularly laid at the feet of one president. How he got elected is a legitimate avenue on how messed up we were and are politically. There have been pardons of concern in the past and there will be more after Trump. When done correctly however, they are a positive force and contribute to a better society.

Sorry to nit pick.

It shows some of the flaws in the Constitution and why there would need updating. Yes, it is one person but as has been said many times, if an intelligent person was doing and trying to do what Trump has done it would be scary. Not changing these flaws in the Constitution allows for the potential of it happening, even worse, with a competent person.

How does this sound? Were we in fact burdened with a "competent " Trump, then the perceived dangers to our democracy would have been felt far more acutely by both sides, and action to relieve of us from the actual danger would have been taken. Because all saw his bumbling BS to be just that, some said this too shall pass with good riddances offered with hopes of little and recoverable damage.

We have until 21 Jan to keep our fingers crossed that he doesn't gain competence.
Quote Reply
Re: Nothing screams innocent [trois_pample] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trois_pample wrote:
gofigure wrote:
No, it does not show messed up our politics is and Constitution needs updating. This is singularly laid at the feet of one president.

So... I'm going to use an extreme (and... sort of fun, in a very fatalistic sense) thought experiment that immediately struck me as an example that highlighted some of the problems with the pardon power. What if the president said, "I'm pardoning every single person from my political party for any crimes they might commit while I'm in office..." I'm not sure exactly what would happen next, but... off the top of my head, I can think of at least 4 ways that society would breakdown within months (or sooner).

I think there are a number of institutions and rules that rely on people fundamentally behaving in good faith and following established norms, and—if the last 4 years has taught me anything—it's that I would be pretty foolish to count on the US electorate to select someone who was willing to act in good faith and respect norms. At this point, my tendency is to assume that any power that can't be given guardrails to prevent it from being abused in a way that causes massive societal harm is too great a power to be allocated to any individual.

In your fatalistic scenario above would any sitting senator and congress person not see that as an impeachable offense and remove him from office?

Yes, it may be foolish to think the electorate would not again elect one fools tool as president. But would the electorate also elect 435 and 100 like-fools too?

Constitution (established norm) holds tight guys. Our sky may have lowered but it will not fall because of good faith in decent people.
Quote Reply
Re: Nothing screams innocent [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:

In your fatalistic scenario above would any sitting senator and congress person not see that as an impeachable offense and remove him from office?

So... based on the responses I saw in January, I'm not even being a little sarcastic when I say that a massive number of them would try to either a) distract from those impeachment proceedings or b) maybe find procedural ways to ignore them or c)... Do something else that's pretty morally gross...

But if we're strapping on our shitty-action-novelist hats to guess at how this would play out... Murder of a government official is a federal crime (https://www.shouselaw.com/...-7-ways-it-can-be/#1), which a certain political party will be uniformly pardoned for in this scenario! So... all I'm saying is... If the members of the LR want to write the worst, half-baked, ill-informed action novel in history, this premise might be how we'll give Dan Brown a run for his money.

(Apologies to anyone who enjoys Dan Brown... mostly, I'm sorry that you've never had the chance to read a good book, but I'm still genuinely contrite.)
Last edited by: trois_pample: Dec 4, 20 9:33
Quote Reply
Re: Nothing screams innocent [trois_pample] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can not equate your original fatalistic scenario to the Jan impeachment. January event aside, would not your scenario muster up enough backbone in the senate to impeach? If your answer is no, then I agree with some here about the amount of kimshee our country is in.
Quote Reply

Prev Next