Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Coach?
Quote | Reply
Thank you all in advance!
I know this topic has been discussed several times and I have read through many of those threads and I have learned a lot. I am hoping for some more personal advice.

I am fairly new to triathlon (about 2 years into it one of which has been 2020 ;)). My background is running. I just signed up to do IM California in 2021 and think I would like to find a coach. I have been mostly training with TR plans and maintaining my running based on my background experience. I was swimming 2-3 days per week also while the pools were open. I was originally thinking of self-coaching, but after reading several of the posts on here and my own personal history of benefiting from a running coach, I think that’s the way for me to go. I need some advice about how to find a good coach that I can also justify the cost to my wife. I am still open to the idea of buying a training plan too, if anyone has any advice in that direction. The tower 26 swim program resonates with me and I have been considering their coaching too, but I am finding it very hard to do any comparison shopping. I have also considered doing TR for the bike, Tower 26 for the swim, and independent coaching (Jack Daniels and experience as the basis), but I do think a plan and probably a coach will better serve me.

Thanks again so much in advance!!

Background: 49 year old male. I did a "backyard" 70.3 - lake swim( distance probably 200 yards short), zwift bike, and outside run on my own. My times were 29:21, 2:27:40, 1:30:14. Running PR’s- 5K 17:58, 10K 37:29, 10 mile 1:01:59, HM 1:24:00, FM 2:59:08. My bike FTP on zwift is 303 (3.8W/kg). My swim is weak and training has been unstructured. I am a busy professional with a family that makes time for training. I love the science of training and read a lot and listen to podcasts, but also realize the limitations of this knowledge and applying it to self-coaching (I think).
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Coach? [endurer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your situation is one where a coach can be a great help. As busy as you are, being able to just simply focus on the workouts that are called out for you is very time efficient. The last time I was searching for a new coach, I found 5-6 potential coaches from ST. Then I scheduled phone interviews with each of them to discuss lots of topics relating to coaching. Ultimately I settled on JonnyO. I'm no longer with him, as my life has moved on, but he was/is a great coach/person and charged what I thought was a very fair price. Search around here on ST, you'll get a lot of recommendations. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Coach? [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ktri! That’s what I’m hoping for. Any contact for JonnyO?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.jonnyocoaching.ca

His website is a little dated, but give him a call. Even if you don't end up working with him, you'll appreciate the conversation.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Coach? [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd third that about Jonny 0. I'm a tri-coach myself but realize the value of fresh eyes and new perspectives and Jonny 0 delivers the goods. A human touch and wisdom beyond his years (and ears).

And as good as he is on-line, he is even better in person. Those open water sessions in Skaha with the crew were epic!

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Coach? [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually worked with him remotely for over 2 years. I thought I knew him. Then I did the Ultra520kCanada 2019. I traveled a great distance to get to Penticton, there, I finally got to meet Jonny in person. What a character! What a great guy! What a funny man! I loved that race, but meeting Jonny in his own environment was something I will never forget. All amazing and great memories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll 4th this suggestion. He was my coach for 4 years and was beyond amazing. I went from ag with unlimited time to train to new parent “racing” in the pro field and he adapted based on all those factors. He’s on FB too if you cannot get in contacts with him through the website. But unless he was at a race for one of his athletes he would always respond within an hour if I sent him a message. I do wished I lived in Canada to get the full in person experience!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yogi Triathlete | Triathlon Coaching, Yoga & Plant-Based Nutrition

I cannot recommend Coach BJ enough.
  • Located in California (Carlsbad)
  • Uses TrainerRoad and also makes custom workouts in TR for his athletes
  • Has done and uses training from TOWER 26
  • Workouts are updated daily based on your feedback and results from the previous day (pretty awesome)
  • This is his full time job. 100% focus on his work as a triathlon coach.

I think he checks all of your boxes. He has helped me out tremendously over the years. He trains your mind (meditation, yoga) and body (triathlon and strength). He has also done 15x Ironman races and is a Boston Qualifier...so he walks to walk. BJ has a certification in nutrition (He is vegan, but they do not require that you become vegan).The price is really reasonable compared to many other coaches.

They also have a podcast if you want to check that out. Podcast | Yogi Triathlete | Yoga, Triathlon and Plant Power

My wife and I have both used YogiTriathlete for coaching and have loved the experience. I've been with BJ for 3ish years.

Edit: Let me know if you want me to get you in touch. You can use facebook, instagram, their website.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Dec 2, 20 17:55
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Coach? [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks LifeTri and jreilley! I will plan to reach out to JonnyO and also Coach BJ. I am also very into that mindfulness and nutrition. I’ve been plant based (vegan) since 2014 and have a daily meditation practice so maybe a good match! Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endurer wrote:
Thanks LifeTri and jreilley! I will plan to reach out to JonnyO and also Coach BJ. I am also very into that mindfulness and nutrition. I’ve been plant based (vegan) since 2014 and have a daily meditation practice so maybe a good match! Thanks again!

if that is the case, it is the perfect match.

send me a private message and we can talk on the phone about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how recent is that 5k PR? solid time for 49!

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much a month are you willing so spend on a coach? Price matters when trying to explain this to your wife...........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If price is an issue then Mike Plumb is your answer http://tripower.org/, it doesn't get much cheaper. I've been with him for several months now and my 5k time has dropped almost a minute. My bike FTP is up almost 10%. Although he does not advertise as an extremely hands-on, constant contact coach, he has usually answered my emailed questions within an hour, often within minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Coach? [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. All of those PR's were from late 2017 through 2018 (at age 47) when I had a good running coach except for the HM which I did in September this year with a fast friend pacing me (never "raced" a HM when I was coached so it was low-lying fruit).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just slid into your DM's

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I Highly suggest Steve Johnson with Darkhorse Triathlon. He gets results out of everyone! Take a look at his website:

https://www.darkhorsetriathlon.com/

Good luck with your search!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Coach? [FtStri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks FtStri. I did not see anything from you in my DM's. Thanks to you and all for your help and advice. I will talk with some of these folks- some also reached out off-forum- and see whom fits the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi All, Reviving this post. I'm looking for someone in the Northeast, preferably in DC area (though will take recommendations throughout NE USA). I have worked with a coach in-person before and found it extremely beneficial; however, the competitiveness of the club was lower than I would have liked and I didn't ultimately get the push from training and competing with others at or around my fitness level that I would have liked.

Any suggestions for a coach? Initially it would be a virtual relationship, hopefully with in-person sessions once safe to do so.

For reference: 30 y/o male, 6'1", 175 lbs; 4:49 IM 70.3 at 28:41 | 2:24:00 | 1:49:00. Particular assistance on run needed.

Thanks,
Charlie

CG
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Coach? [CeeGee90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CeeGee90 wrote:
Hi All, Reviving this post. I'm looking for someone in the Northeast, preferably in DC area (though will take recommendations throughout NE USA). I have worked with a coach in-person before and found it extremely beneficial; however, the competitiveness of the club was lower than I would have liked and I didn't ultimately get the push from training and competing with others at or around my fitness level that I would have liked.

Any suggestions for a coach? Initially it would be a virtual relationship, hopefully with in-person sessions once safe to do so.

For reference: 30 y/o male, 6'1", 175 lbs; 4:49 IM 70.3 at 28:41 | 2:24:00 | 1:49:00. Particular assistance on run needed.

Thanks,
Charlie

Check out QT2 Systems - I have nothing but great things to say! Drop me a DM if you want to chat more about my experience with them...and they are based in the northeast.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Coach? [CeeGee90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CeeGee90 wrote:

Thanks,
Charlie

If you're open to a remote relationship:

I was self-coached for six years until last year. I started working with Scott at BSC Multisport (He's located in Indiana, and I'm in Colorado). I was hesitant at first, but I can say this: I crushed a 13.1 PR with a 1:23:00 only after four months of his help.

2020 was wonky, but I ended up winning 2 local triathlons. I am starting my second season with him and have very high expectations. Worth a look, IMO.

Feel free to DM if you have any questions.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Dec 16, 20 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Coach? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even as a coach myself, I often hire one, particularly for "bike-stakes" races, which I usually do every other year. A fresh set of eyes and another honest perspective can prevent self-delusion and squandering some awesomeness. Plus, I tried to get some free empathy on ST... talk about delusion =)

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply