Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stryd for zwift?
Quote | Reply
I know it's been discussed before but how has stryd been going for all you zwift run folks? Any regrets or problems?
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd for zwift? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no issues at all, but I connect via the companion app.

also use the stryd workout app on garmin 935 at the same time.

one thing to note is that it also works with the rouvy beta running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stryd works fine, it just shows a slower pace since you are running on a treadmill as is the treadmills nature

The power is the defining part, its power to pace is very reliable on a treadmill

Strava
Last edited by: rsjrv99: Dec 2, 20 19:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use one and it works well. I always connect it to my phone (Zwift) first, before setting my watch to treadmill (Garmin 935). Read somewhere that this was the best way to do it.

Pace displayed on Zwift is always marginally slower than the treadmill, as others have said.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd for zwift? [Jwb_LDN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, thx for the info.

How hard is it to move from shoe to shoe?

And subjectively, how accurate have you felt its power estimates are with regards to hill (like 1% hill effort faster pace vs slower pace but 8% hill climb)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Cool, thx for the info.

How hard is it to move from shoe to shoe?

And subjectively, how accurate have you felt its power estimates are with regards to hill (like 1% hill effort faster pace vs slower pace but 8% hill climb)

Its just a simple clip on the shoelaces, i put it on and take it off routinely in a few seconds

I have not analyzed my data enough to answer your other question though i will say it has almost no variation on a treadmill at constant speed. I would assume this holds true for outdoor gradients, but thered be no way of knowing accuracy since theres no standard for comparison. I do not see why itd be inaccurate however

I have my power data for running on strava if you are curious

Strava
Last edited by: rsjrv99: Dec 3, 20 7:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just been trying this out over the past few days myself. Connecting with Zwift is good, yet despite a treadmill recalibration (the old tape method) Stryd is off 500m per 5km. Like I'm busting my hump to get the same pace times that I do outside on easy days with the dog who stops to pee and sniff along the way. I'll delve deeper into this on the weekend (I have multiple footpods to compare with), but as far as Zwift itself is concerned, it seems to work great.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd for zwift? [shaggyrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shaggyrider wrote:
Just been trying this out over the past few days myself. Connecting with Zwift is good, yet despite a treadmill recalibration (the old tape method) Stryd is off 500m per 5km. Like I'm busting my hump to get the same pace times that I do outside on easy days with the dog who stops to pee and sniff along the way. I'll delve deeper into this on the weekend (I have multiple footpods to compare with), but as far as Zwift itself is concerned, it seems to work great.

A treadmill will never be accurate to real pace due to the nature of the treadmill. The belt slows down on foot contact, then speeds up during air time. Based on lubrication, friction, motor power and wide variety of other things, theres no real way to normalize this to get accurate speed.

Here is Stryd's article explaining this
Mysterious Treadmill Pace? (stryd.com)

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd for zwift? [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
shaggyrider wrote:

A treadmill will never be accurate to real pace due to the nature of the treadmill. The belt slows down on foot contact, then speeds up during air time. Based on lubrication, friction, motor power and wide variety of other things, theres no real way to normalize this to get accurate speed.

Here is Stryd's article explaining this
Mysterious Treadmill Pace? (stryd.com)

True enough. I've studied their article and will spend more time with it this weekend. The trouble I'm having is with any kind of comparability and repeatability between running inside and outside. I'll destroy myself on the treadmill using Stryd to even get close to a 4:30/km pace whereas outside it's my totally doable marathon pace. Radically different heart rates and confirmed by the treadmill's display as well which, I should mention, is about 10 years old now and very well used.

I haven't had much opportunity to use Stryd for long runs outside as those are typically technical trail and perceived effort aside, apples and oranges. Still, I figure I have some work to do configuring everything correctly so we'll see.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shaggyrider wrote:

True enough. I've studied their article and will spend more time with it this weekend. The trouble I'm having is with any kind of comparability and repeatability between running inside and outside. I'll destroy myself on the treadmill using Stryd to even get close to a 4:30/km pace whereas outside it's my totally doable marathon pace. Radically different heart rates and confirmed by the treadmill's display as well which, I should mention, is about 10 years old now and very well used.

I haven't had much opportunity to use Stryd for long runs outside as those are typically technical trail and perceived effort aside, apples and oranges. Still, I figure I have some work to do configuring everything correctly so we'll see.

Well, its still just a treadmill man. Its gonna be a bit different from reality,..think of it less like running and more like a run training machine. The data is going to be different

Strava
Last edited by: rsjrv99: Dec 3, 20 18:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you check the stryd vs a track? Mine needed a bit of calibration.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd for zwift? [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, yeah, I tell myself that all the time. It’s just one of those things...

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd for zwift? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Did you check the stryd vs a track? Mine needed a bit of calibration.

Not yet. TBH that’s the real reason why I got it, for run analysis, power, etc. Looking to give it a go this weekend.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Works well and the BT connection is strong. The big problem is that the pace it shows is SIGNIFICANTLY slower than the treadmill speed (~40sec/mi for me at tempo pace) (this is consistent across a range of mills I've tried, so not likely to be a calibration issue). Having your Zwift running/Strava posting show lower speeds is just discouraging and pretty much makes any racing pointless (you'd be giving up 4min in a 10k to someone who is using a BT treadmill or a Runn sensor). I love my Stryd for outdoor running; for indoors not so much.

I've read Stryd's explanation (linked in some of the previous posts). Personally, it feels like they are starting with the assumption that the Stryd is correct and then looking for explanations as to why the speed is off. IME the Stryd not only reads slower than the mill, my Stryd pace on the mill is slower at the same PE and HR than it is outside. Typically mills have been seen as a bit faster than outdoors at the same HR/PE due to the lack of wind resistance; that why many runners set the incline to 1-2% to try to get them to match up.

I'm guessing Stryd may eventually have a treadmill mode, but right now they are just insisting that there is not an issue.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd for zwift? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The stryd I used to use was significantly slower than the treadmills I sometimes used, once I calibrated it on the track it sometimes lined up and even if pace didn't match, RPE did. I think the stryd probably needs a touch of calibration.

This was just running on the treadmill though, I never used zwift.
Last edited by: imswimmer328: Dec 4, 20 10:02
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd for zwift? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im not sure why people would think the pace on a treadmill would match outdoor running. Stryd is accurate, treadmills are not, theyre run trainers. Treadmill biomechanics are even a bit different

Doing 220w on zwift is like 23mph for example, im not ever doing that outside loo

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is the best foot pod / connector to Zwift
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love it. Just like a power meter on the bike I don’t really look at anything but power and maybe HR. My treadmill reads .3-.5 mph slower than the stryd so I know that going in and know how to adjust speed but if I am running tempo I am checking power since to me that is the whole idea behind the Stryd.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd for zwift? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a horizon 7.4 TM and its pretty close to my stryd pace. at first it was off about 30 to 40 sec per mile and then I realized that the stryd auto calibrated and it was something like 94 instead of 100. fixed that and no more issues.
also, how you connect the pod also matters. I ran into accuracy issues with that as well.
https://support.stryd.com/...-with-Garmin-watches

FWIW, if I use the stryd app on my phone the pace is off, but on my watch its it's fine. haven't figured that one out
Quote Reply