Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: PTO Championship Media || What do you want to see? [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry - I don’t see that when I go the the app. The first time I launched the app it asked me to either login or sign up. After I logged in everything was as it should be complete with a “live” button and a countdown.

Perhaps try the “forgot password” function or contact customer support?
Quote Reply
Re: PTO Championship Media || What do you want to see? [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They will have access to this and we are feeding the live Graphics company with this so not sure how much of it they will use. Kona is another beast entirely with a Lot more ground to cover....
Quote Reply
Re: PTO Championship Media || What do you want to see? [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kickr wrote:
Sorry - I don’t see that when I go the the app. The first time I launched the app it asked me to either login or sign up. After I logged in everything was as it should be complete with a “live” button and a countdown.

Perhaps try the “forgot password” function or contact customer support?

I was writing an email to support and then it all of a sudden started working. Also downloaded the Sportstats tracker so I am ready to rip!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a question for Talbot if he has time.

I know both yourself and Lionel are UFC fans, as am I. Has there been a conscious decision in the promotion of the event to follow some elements of the UFC's promotional strategy I.e the Embedded/Unbreakble content in race week, having athletes pose in race gear with their national flag, focus on the athletes that "move the needle"? Overall the production to this point has been absolutely flawless, to the point that I worry that casuals will tune in and actually be underwhelmed with the actual race. Let's hope the race day production can make things interesting for them over the 3+ hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The broadcasting of this so far is a big mystery that I am starting to get worried about. WTC, Facebook live. Previous Challenge races on YouTube. So far, I'm not impressed with what I see and not convinced I'm even going to be able to watch this.

A few things I think that they will have in their favor to make a great broadcast of this:

- It's self contained in the Daytona Speedway.

- They are using onsite cameras (I think I heard 20 in total), to cover the action.

- They are using the combined production resources of the onsite that NASCAR has plus NBC

- My sense is Talbot is having a say in the direction/production - at least I hope they are listening to him. He has an eye for this! I worked with him recently for the Lionel Sanders One Hour Record Show, doing the Commentary, and he and Greg McFadden were the masterminds behind making that appealing and interesting to watch.
- The tweaked distance format while still a half/mid distance race, should make for some fascinating racing.

It's finally great to see a race/event in triathlon put Sports Presentation as a primary thing of importance and not an afterthought! I've worked at World Cup & Championship Level events in Cycling and Track & Field, and THIS is what they do - to make it all look great, more interesting and more appealing. It's what they do in most other Professional Sports - if Triathlon wants to be taken seriously, you have to have great Sports Presentation! I've been pitching people in triathlon for years about this - finally great to see it happening this weekend!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Dec 5, 20 10:12
Quote Reply
Re: PTO Championship Media || What do you want to see? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Steve yes not only are they letting us have a say but listening to all of us. Example we told NASCAR you don’t just follow the leaders you follow the chase pack as well. So nascar got another truck camera system. They truly believe in listening and working together.

Here is an example of a pre race Analysis video that we got from someone on here that we recommended doing.

So the pto asked bob myself and berry to talk through the races. This experience has been incredible. The PTO staff is next level and what our sport needs.

Hope you guys enjoy this video. We could not find another 3rd person so I stepped in. HA 🤣

Quote Reply
Re: PTO Championship Media || What do you want to see? [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of the PTO staff is from UFC these guys are the best of the best. They have come in to listen and help. Not take over.

It’s been an incredible experience all round. The production on race day will be something the sport has never seen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy shit. Really wanted to be psyched up for the broadcast, but wasn't feeling it... this video took care of that.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: PTO Championship Media || What do you want to see? [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We could not find another 3rd person so I stepped in. HA 🤣

Well .. I would have been happy to step in, but then we would have had Canada, and the Canadians taking things over! :-)

Quote Reply
Re: PTO Championship Media || What do you want to see? [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of the PTO staff is from UFC these guys are the best of the best. They have come in to listen and help. Not take over.

Great to hear.

I recall back in the early 1990's when CBC Sports in Canada first covered Triathlon on TV - they actually pulled a bunch of triathletes in the room, and we had a sit down talk about how it would be best to cover the then relatively new sport of triathlon - and they actually listened very closely to what we said.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
Thanks Steve yes not only are they letting us have a say but listening to all of us. Example we told NASCAR you don’t just follow the leaders you follow the chase pack as well. So nascar got another truck camera system. They truly believe in listening and working together.

Here is an example of a pre race Analysis video that we got from someone on here that we recommended doing.

So the pto asked bob myself and berry to talk through the races. This experience has been incredible. The PTO staff is next level and what our sport needs.

Hope you guys enjoy this video. We could not find another 3rd person so I stepped in. HA 🤣

This was literally the best Tri prerace I’ve ever seen. Great banter, and I loved the behind the scenes stories and setting context and history of athletes.

I am THRILLED that you guys are listening and being listened to. I now can’t wait to see this race. Also am yelling excited that you guys won’t just be following the leader and will show battles further down in the pack.

Are you using a drone to help give an overview of the swim?
Last edited by: Kickr: Dec 5, 20 11:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work Talbot, you guys are doing alot of good stuff! Is it race time yet!!!
Quote Reply
Re: PTO Championship Media || What do you want to see? [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't help but think inviting a few NASCAR racers to participate in a relay team and tell each one's story on how they prepared. It would potentially appeal to the NASCAR crowd? Maybe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nailed it Talbot! The Unbreakable finale gives me goosebumps every time I watch it (yes, I’ve watched it multiple times) and the pre-game segment was solid.

Chapeau!
Quote Reply
Re: PTO Championship Media || What do you want to see? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found a link to the FAQs in the app. Some stuff in here about iOS and android support, plus native support in other apps. Good news for me they support chromecast and fire stick (also roku).

https://protriathletes.org/faqs-tv-app/

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear the feedback received about more than the leaders and getting another truck camera!

My biggest gripe on the Kona broadcast is focusing on one rider at a time. You know there’s several athletes not far behind, but us viewers don’t see any of it. The perspective is lost. Some of that may be the logistics, moto cameras available at Kona, but watching the races tomorrow, I’m excited to see the ‘dynamics, tactics, movement, etc, in real time. (guys/gals making passes, etc). For example, the aerial shot of Sebi going like a rocket ship (even though it wasn’t a ‘live pass’.

Quote Reply
Re: PTO Championship Media || What do you want to see? [mitchrapp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow this coverage is off the hook!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s bonkers good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was there a bike count done like in Kona, with parts. clothes, shoes, etc break down.

Also, alot of the bikes had custom cockpits, really curious to learn more about what they are and what they pros are using to ride aero/comfortably.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbot,

pass on to your media folks this...

the pre race stuff was really good. i really enjoyed the key athlete profiles / videos.

race day coverage... phenomenal is about as close as i can say. the little bit of media pre women’s and men’s race was about as good as you can get... quick interviews with a few athletes and a video on the history of tri to boot? stellar. i really enjoyed it.

race day coverage. i can’t even say how good it was compared to what we have had, even compared to IM branded coverage. the commentary was meh at best (they really need better queue cards for each athlete), but the on course cameras were just so dang good. it’s impossible to know the outcome of a tri of this caliber so it’s pretty critical to have a lot of facts about EVERYONE so when an essential unknown podiums we all have an idea of his background.

the women’s race was fantastic. i was so engaged. the men’s? i was screaming at the tv and i am NOT that guy even a little bit.

this races engagement and coverage was Kona-esque... but amplified because i got to watch a women’s and men’s race completely separate which i loved.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just replying on this topic with more hope that the guy involved reads it. First of all, recover soon. I thought it was a joke to read that you crashed but I guess it's just 2020.

Coverage was great, most likely thanks to the venue and Nascar helping out. But if you're ever involved with race coverage for a point-to-point race I suggest to look at the gold standard. That is not Olympics as some have suggested. Well actually maybe it is because for some Olympic races I know my gold standard was involved behind the screens. Gold standard is simply the race coverage of the Ronde van Vlaanderen. Every year they deliver.

There will be fewer time splits, that's obvious. But there's a lot of guys on motors with GPS information that can relay time differences. It just needs people to interpret who is near what motorbike. Also for pro's I think it should be possible to attach a small GPS device anyway. Why rely on time splits when you could simpy know where everyone is all the time.

They use a mix of fixed camera's on well planned spots, camera's on motorbikes, from a helicopter and from drones. When stuff gets a bit boring they have a lot of pre-race interviews. PTO had 5-6 of these short clips and 1 longer one, plus the history video. RVV has interviews with at least 20 riders that they can show at any point on top of the feed. It takes a lot less editing and you instantly have a bunch of talking points. For the relatively unknown people at the front like Goodwin and Davis that could have been interesting and definitely a bonus for them as well. If you say you invited the top-40 of the world, why not let all of them do a 3 minute talk.

RVV has camera's on board with the team cars. That's not an option here, but I'm sure there could be coaches or friends somewhere in the race venue that can be interviewed.

A small thing is knowing when someone abandons. We saw some people walking but it's a guess to know if they later carried on (like Ditlev) or if and when they DNF'ed. In bike races that info is quickly shown on screen. In the sportstats tracker that wasn't obvious either, but maybe I just missed it.

I think the biggest difference between a subpar coverage like Kona and the RVV team is that they have a lot of people involved that know the fine points of the sport and what to focus on. They listen to the people out on the course to go to where the action is. When the commentators wonder about a flat tire, where someone is, what time gaps are, other people hear this, find out and it gets told/shown very quickly.

Just look at the yearly RVV recap videos on Youtube, they are titled like this #RondeTreasures ... Behind The Scenes
Quote Reply

Prev Next