Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1x crankset help...
Quote | Reply
Looking for a little help from those who are smarter than me...

Picked up a gently used Specialized Transition simply because it's the bike I started tri on 10+ years ago. Turning it into a "fun" bike, and would like to run it 1x. This particular model is standard bb, non bb30, and currently has an FSA SLK Light crankset on it. I'd like a solid "aero" 1x ring set up simply for the fact that it looks cool...to me. Any recommendations? Anything out there that doesn't break the bank? Again, this is purely for fun...no power meter, no computer, always running a disc and deep wheel (even though in real life, I'd never run this deep of a front wheel), etc.

Cheers,
-j
Last edited by: jhornebx: Dec 2, 20 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: 1x crankset help... [jhornebx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean, originally I just went with a Sram X-Sync and then used aluminum foil tape to make it aero. Been nutty about equipment, was never sure if the tape was as aero or maybe even more aero (sail effect as tape is slightly flexible). I guess TJ Tollakson liked it so much he ended up doing the same thing on his bike. Granted, he was the one that taught me about foil tape in the first place. Great stuff. Everyone need it in their bag. Makes for great disc wheel valve hole cover that is not falling off or not sticking in high humidity. Also makes a great material to cover any screw holes on the bike. The stuff really sticks well but still peels off easy too.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 1x crankset help... [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hadn't thought about that. Thanks Thomas - took your advice on the Bivi massage gun 6+ months ago...best $80 investment I've made in a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to suggest you find a nice used pair of SRAM cranks, and go direct mount. Like this.

Otherwise the AeroCoach rings are nice if you want to stick to existing 5-arm (or 4-arm) bolt patterns.

Both of these might come close to "breaking the bank" though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What standard bottom bracket does it have?
Quote Reply
Re: 1x crankset help... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rad. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 1x crankset help... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fsa mega exo bc 1.37 x 24t
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jhornebx wrote:
Anything out there that doesn't break the bank?
-j

Not sure what BCD you have, but here's an option for 130BCD and another for 110BCD. Both are narrow wide chainrings. FWIW, I have a 4-bolt Stone narrow wide chainring and like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your frame has an English bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alden designs has a real nice carbon crank cover. The give you two, one to test fit and one for final fit. I put it on my older DA cranks and it looks great. 1x chainrings nowadays are available in any size/mount pattern.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x crankset help... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks jimatbeyond
Quote Reply
Re: 1x crankset help... [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll check them out J7

...thanks everyone!
Quote Reply