Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2021 Races
Quote | Reply
Hey ya'll. Happy holidays.

Any thoughts on whether we'll be seeing a 2021 race season? (Serious 1st world problems.) I'm in the U.S.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Races [Porfirio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paging GMAN.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
End of 2nd quarter maybe, end of third quarter a little more than maybe. 2nd quarter 2022 probably.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Races [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:
End of 2nd quarter maybe, end of third quarter a little more than maybe. 2nd quarter 2022 probably.

Thanks. The "maybe's" is what I'm thinking. Crap, w/out the money-down commitment, I'm getting fat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Texas on April 24 seems first on list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on where you live. Races vary greatly by nation, and in the US, by state. For example, FL, GA, SC, TX, and a few others appear to be embracing races that work with local authorities to implement responsible protocols. I have not been following everywhere as much. So, look at where you want to race and then what they did in late 2020. That is your leading indicator of how those areas might approach 2021.

States like NY, MD, MI, IL, CA, MA etc. seem less likely to embrace any kind of races.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Dec 1, 20 8:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometime around June is when I would expect more races to be held than not

If vaccine is rolled out to general public in April and you factor in that you need 2 shots a few weeks apart and it takes time to get enough people to be vaccinated then June/July is around where I would expect a flip to happen. These races will still have covid protocols in affect similar to what we have seen in the races that have been held so far and those protocols will start to go away sometime in the fall when we approach herd immunity
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Races [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
IM Texas on April 24 seems first on list.

Texas 70.3 in Galveston is before that, April 11, 2021.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surf City Marathon, which has been a Super Bowl Sunday tradition each February in Huntington Beach, Calif., just shoved its date back to Sept. 11 on the 2021 calendar.

And the nonprofit group that puts on the Solvang Century, a very popular March ride in the Santa Ynez Valley wine country, said its proposed 2021 rollover date from 2020 cannot happen. So they have indefinitely suspended the ride with no prospective 2021 date No refunds possible either, because their local merchants are not returning deposits made for the 2020 or 2021 editions of the ride. And they don’t want to put on a virtual ride.

But, good news, if you want to buy a commemorative jersey for what they are calling the “phantom ride” those are $45 including shipping.

I’m cool with both those decisions, nobody who’s putting on rides and races has ever had to deal with a pandemic before. I just want them to survive to the post-pandemic era.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
China has no cases, so as long as they don't have a travel ban in place I presume you could race there.

I would expect restricted numbers and Covid controls (such as mandatory vaccination) for NA and EUR races until Q3.

ETA: I have no scientific or political knowledge of the situation. Just contributing meaningless opinion.

Last edited by: M----n: Dec 1, 20 12:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Limited races in 1 quarter 2021. More in 2nd QTR. Full blown on in 3rd QTR and beyond.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Porfirio wrote:
Tri.Tony wrote:

Thanks. The "maybe's" is what I'm thinking. Crap, w/out the money-down commitment, I'm getting fat.

I just crapped out 6lbs. Gosh darn 2020, bro. I'm still 10lbs off my target.

Races will happen in 2021.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Races [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many sites for races in California have not posted any updates on 2021 events. Given the Covid uncertainty, my sense is the races won't happen, as they don't want to make plans now, only to risk having to change/cancel in the future. By the time there is more certainty, it will be too late for 2021.

Probably impacts the smaller races/promoters more.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Races [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
China has not reported cases to the rest of the world , so as long as they don't have a travel ban in place I presume you could race there.

I would expect restricted numbers and Covid controls (such as mandatory vaccination) for NA and EUR races until Q3.

ETA: I have no scientific or political knowledge of the situation. Just contributing meaningless opinion.

FIFY.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Races [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
China has no cases, so as long as they don't have a travel ban in place I presume you could race there.

China has no cases because they have a travel ban.

"There is no plague at X. Let's go to X." A mistake made by people for thousands of years. We really never learn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plan on racing.

Signed up for 2 local races last night.

Feel good about Galveston Happing along with Buffalo being a go.

Hope Kona is a go, finally booked a place to stay.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All good down here in Oz as there are plenty of events of all kinds going on all over the country.My first couple are in Feb.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 Races [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Paging GMAN.....

The only crystal balling I will do for 2021 right now is to say there’s likely zero chance Oceanside happens. Gov. Newsom isn’t going to allow any large gatherings in CA until a vaccine is widely distributed. Not to mention military bases are being very strict with who gets in/out so odds that Pendleton allows non-essential civilians on property are pretty much zero.

The next two or three months are going to be brutal from a COVID perspective. All those April and May races are going to be huge question marks as we start to recover from the increasingly worse mess we are in.

I have two races in May and I have already decided I’m not doing anything until I’m vaccinated. 50 year old white males in excellent physical health probably aren’t high on the vaccine priority list. I’ve shifted focus to the next set of races in July and August.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply