Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is your Work from Home Setup? [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
ike wrote:
One other point no one has mentioned: office security. I will guess that this will become a bigger issue in the future, as working from home becomes a long-term practice rather than an initial response to an emergency. Lawyers are supposed to have locks on their home office doors, though many/most probably don’t. And my employer required us to connect directly to the cable modem — no WiFi. Lots of other things to consider.

As a home working transactional lawyer here is my new business plan - you have to give me 30%:

Secure home shredding. Iron mountain trucks to your door. I currently have about 50 reams worth of paper in my basement that I can’t throw in the municipal trash. I'm guessing there are thousands of people like me all over the country right now.

I have a grocery bag full. I will probably run to the office and dump it in our shredding bins.

And Ike - thanks for that CO Bar info. Probably something to check on all jurisdictions.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What is your Work from Home Setup? [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Quote:
Lawyers are supposed to have locks on their home office doors, though many/most probably don’t.

Says who?

We use VPN to access our network. No requirement to not use WiFi.

The instruction on having a lockable door came from my state bar (CO), in a bar-sponsored CLE course I took a few years ago. I doubt it is widely followed, though I could imagine a client making a big stink if your houseguest got some confidential info.

Not sure why my former firm barred us from using WiFi. I thought using the VPN solved that problem, but I am no tech expert.

Do you have a reference for the locked doors? We can't find anything and a senior partner is asking. Thanks.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: What is your Work from Home Setup? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I reviewed the outline of materials from that CLE conference, but they did not contain that level of detail. I think the presenter was James Coyle, the then-head of atty regulation, but I am fairly sure he has since retired. Sorry I don't have anything more helpful than my memory.

I ran a basic Google search and noted a few things.

1. PA Bar Formal Op. 2020-300 (4/10/20) at 6 talks about security in a way that would be hard to achieve without locked drawers (assuming files are all in there) or locked doors (if you have files in open shelves or unlocked drawers). That's my interpretation, but it does follow what the opinion says.

2. W. Dunn, The Bar Plan: The Ethics of Working from Home, has comments about safety of files that would be hard to comply with unless the physical files are locked in some fashion. Again, my own interpretation.

3. NY State Bar Assn, 6/12/20 talks about the need to keep materials safe from "family members" which also would lead to the same conclusion.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your Work from Home Setup? [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
I reviewed the outline of materials from that CLE conference, but they did not contain that level of detail. I think the presenter was James Coyle, the then-head of atty regulation, but I am fairly sure he has since retired. Sorry I don't have anything more helpful than my memory.

I ran a basic Google search and noted a few things.

1. PA Bar Formal Op. 2020-300 (4/10/20) at 6 talks about security in a way that would be hard to achieve without locked drawers (assuming files are all in there) or locked doors (if you have files in open shelves or unlocked drawers). That's my interpretation, but it does follow what the opinion says.

2. W. Dunn, The Bar Plan: The Ethics of Working from Home, has comments about safety of files that would be hard to comply with unless the physical files are locked in some fashion. Again, my own interpretation.

3. NY State Bar Assn, 6/12/20 talks about the need to keep materials safe from "family members" which also would lead to the same conclusion.

Thanks

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: What is your Work from Home Setup? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been at least part-time WFH for over 8 years. For a long time, I could just work from a laptop, but now it feels like torture. I was considering a standing desk 3 years ago, so I constructed a make-shift one using a 2-drawer metal filing cabinet, a wire shelf that was the same height, and an old homemade coffee table (24" x 54"). It turned out that was the perfect height and configuration, so here's what I did to finalize everything:
  • Ordered another matching file cabinet, kept the coffee table as the platform.
  • The office chair sits in between the filing cabinets under the table, it's great for the occasional foot rest and for one of the dogs to jump on and beg for some head scratches. Don't know if a human has sat in it in years
  • Printer / Scanner is on the wire rack to the right of the "desk", with my laptop sitting on top of that (resting on a cooling tray - highly recommend if your fan runs often)
  • Laptop is connected to docking station, which seems to have waaay too many things plugged in. I have a 12"x20" board on the right side of the coffee table where I mounted the docking station, power strip, and USB hub.
  • 2 x 24" monitors, each about 24" from my eyes, mounted on a dual arm mount
  • Wireless keyboard and mouse
  • Bose noise cancelling headphones are connected to laptop (not bluetooth), also got a pair of Wireless Anker Soundcore (NC), which sound really good considering they were pretty cheap
  • I recently acquired a lume cube for video stuff, which is mounted on one monitor, with that and a floor lamp, I have proper lighting for video
  • I actually only use my iPad for video stuff (I built a crude stand out of some short 2x4's, took 5 minutes), so I don't have a webcam hooked up (the one on the laptop is basically pointed at my behind)

I have bidirectional switches for each monitor because the trainer bike is only 15 feet away with a wall mounted TV, a keyboard and mouse, so I can occasionally clean out email, etc. while spinning at 90 rpm (take that shit to the other forum).

I was willing to spend $2K on just a standing desk if needed, overall I spent < $900 because I only needed a 2-drawer filing cabinet to complete the desk. I never get to sit while working, except for phone calls when I want to give my legs a short break, and that is sufficient.

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply

Prev Next