Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a follow up on this thread. Since I'm resting tomorrow, for a New Years day half marathon, 2020 is over for me. My final numbers are:
Swim- 545 miles, 274 hours 55 minutes
Bike- 14,072 miles, 750 hours 20 minutes
Run- 1,218 miles, 187 hours 55 minutes

Total miles- 15,835, Total time- 1,213 hours. Active days- 361

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super Impressive!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
Just a follow up on this thread. Since I'm resting tomorrow, for a New Years day half marathon, 2020 is over for me. My final numbers are:
Swim- 545 miles, 274 hours 55 minutes
Bike- 14,072 miles, 750 hours 20 minutes
Run- 1,218 miles, 187 hours 55 minutes

Total miles- 15,835, Total time- 1,213 hours. Active days- 361

4 hours per day on AVERAGE for essentially the whole year! 28 hrs/wk! The heck does one of your days look like?

I didn't even break 500...but I ran the same number of hours as you did LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Trimike77!

Lightheir, I'm old and retired, so every day is Saturday. I'm a morning person so I get up early. Pretty much from the time I get up, until lunch time, is my workout time. After that, I forget about it, and live my normal life. I train by feel, so never push into the deep fatigue zone. I have a loose personal rule of "never do today, what I cannot do again tomorrow". A lot of ST'ers would call it base miles, or junk miles, but I call it enjoyable training, that keeps me doing what I love to do. I LOVE to swim, and put in a lot of 2 1/2- 3 hour pool workouts. So my days are basically bike and swim on M/W/F, and bike and run T/T/S. Sunday is often a long bike day. It's my 3rd year of training this way, and with covid eliminating a lot of other distractions, 2020 was my biggest volume year ever. All things considered, I feel better than I ever have. Injury wise, I'm healthier than I've EVER been. When I was working, and training 10-15 "quality" hpw, I was always hurt, fatigued, sore, and borderline burned out.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do your results compare.to those prior 10 to 15 he hard younger weeks? Curious
Quote Reply
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
How do your results compare.to those prior 10 to 15 he hard younger weeks? Curious

I'm slowing down. A lot. But I also feel like it's age related. I started falling apart at 56, totally blew up at 57, and by 58, I was soul searching, reassessing my definition of fitness and why I work out, and revamping my approach to it all. I'm 60 now, and have lost about 10 minutes on my olympic tri time of 3 years ago, and also 10 minutes off my half marathon time. I ran one marathon at 59, and was 30 minutes slower than I was at 56. BUT... I'm still winning my age group at all the local stuff, and having just aged up, that should be even easier. The quality of life is priceless, and I wouldn't trade how I feel now, for the speed I've lost. I'm not a fast guy, but do ok. I ran 2019 IMAZ in 12:32 for and indication of my fitness. I'm doing IMTulsa next May, so it will be an interesting race to compare data.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Dec 30, 20 18:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
lightheir wrote:

I'm slowing down. A lot. But I also feel like it's age related. I started falling apart at 56, totally blew up at 57, and by 58, I was soul searching, reassessing my definition of fitness and why I work out, and revamping my approach to it all. I'm 60 now, and have lost about 10 minutes on my olympic tri time of 3 years ago, and also 10 minutes off my half marathon time. I ran one marathon at 59, and was 30 minutes slower than I was at 56. BUT... I'm still winning my age group at all the local stuff, and having just aged up, that should be even easier. The quality of life is priceless, and I wouldn't trade how I feel now, for the speed I've lost.

I'd say that if winning your AG locally is getting easier each year, that you're probably getting 'relatively' faster for age, although it could somewhat be checked against WAVA tables.

I'm not your AG yet, but most of the folks I know who have aged up past you have similar stories of how everything was great - until it wasn't - and the dropoff came more abruptly than they expected.

My arthritic ankles will ensure that there is no way I will run another marathon again despite wanting to =(
Quote Reply
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I see a few people on the ST log already passed 1000 hrs. Randy Christofferson, pretty well hits that mark every year for the last decade. It looks like our man Herbert is on track and what's even more impressive is that it is on a very run heavy program. It looks like 4-5 others will hit 1000.

I may have done 1000 the year I was in grad school in 1993-94 (all I did was train more than a pro and fit in classes and labs around the training plan LOL), but I am not sure. Back then I used to also train with some national XC ski and biathln team guys and their benchmark was 1000 hrs per year was needed to race on the world cup. Keep in mind a lot of their training was weight bearing...XC skiing, running, trail bounding with poles, roller skiing.

Anyone not on the log on track this year? Probably some Ultraman types get that every year as do many pro triathletes and cyclists.

Due to the pandemic I may hit my biggest volume in 15 years. No biz travel is a big added to volume. Second is no racing so no tapering. Finally I don't spend time commuting and I can finish a workout and be in meetings in my workout gear so the latter alone adds 20 min of training per day of not having to change clothing and showering. 20 min x 365 days is over 100 hrs of additional training right there! But won't get near 1000

I doubt it. Highest training load was in university, probably averaged 17-18 hours per week during university swim season, a bit less than that swimming for the club over the summer, but with a couple of 2-4 week breaks in there between seasons.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just finished my final workouts and I’m at 907 hours for the year. Did a minimum of 30 min a day and max of around 5 hours. Definitely my biggest training year - being at home for several months in the spring certainly helped.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it looks like I will end up in 3rd place in the Big Kahuna with over 24,000 points, and that is surely a volume high for me. But without races I just piled on volume since it did not hurt races, there was little need to taper.

I also recently joined the 100/100 as I was curious about my standing there and with 88 runs I am well in the top 10 and with over 500 miles of running in that time have also one of the highest total mileages.

I already said though that I will take it easier in 2021. I see more races happening, plus I don't want to get injured.
Quote Reply
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
So it looks like I will end up in 3rd place in the Big Kahuna with over 24,000 points, and that is surely a volume high for me. But without races I just piled on volume since it did not hurt races, there was little need to taper.

I also recently joined the 100/100 as I was curious about my standing there and with 88 runs I am well in the top 10 and with over 500 miles of running in that time have also one of the highest total mileages.

I already said though that I will take it easier in 2021. I see more races happening, plus I don't want to get injured.

Unless ericmulk throws down a 40,000 yard swim I should end up right behind you in fourth place with 23,383 points. That ended up being a 1043 hours this year, by far my biggest. I agree that it's not too difficult to put in over 1000 hours a year if you take away life's distractions like the pandemic did this year. Let's hope we are tapering and recovering for races next year!
Last edited by: TJ56: Dec 31, 20 9:58
Quote Reply

Prev Next