Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr
Quote | Reply
Sorry if I missed it but nothing on this exhibition fight from last night?

Full disclosure it was the first fight I’ve ordered in years but even so we felt like we hit a decent ROI. Entertaining fights leading up (except for the fight where they decided to toss an ex NBA player in against a “YouTube star”..but in retrospect that was entertaining in the “oh shit..one of these guys is absolutely going to get knocked out for sure way”).

No dogs in the fight (though it is hard not to cheer for Tyson). Jones tried did his thing and so did Tyson.

The end result - a draw. I’m thinking this was a deal breaker for Jones without it in the contract but still a little too much “exhibition” where it was fairly clear to me that Tyson would have “won” based on rounds.

Also, if this is your thing, Tyson’s post fight interview is pretty much what you would expect as if late. Lots of talk around his pigeons, smoking weed, and living people. It’s still a trio for me hearing Tyson talk about how he is attempting to tackle life this time around. Tough guy to root against which is interesting considering we are talking Mike Tyson.

The entertainment between fights was all rap artists and pretty well done all things considered though I will say the weed aspect was off the charts. A buddy and I were showing our 9 year old sons their first boxing event so knew it would be a little colorful but it was a little over the top. Snoop Dog was waving around a smoldering log while reminding us that he still don’t leave till 6 in the morning. Especially tough to avoid the topic after Whiz Kalifa and some other dude also let us know that weed is the shit as well.

It’s interesting to see what is being attempted right now with this “League of Champions” stuff. Appears to be Tyson’s own thing as a more WWE type environment (not over the top) with the greats fighting with interesting preliminary fights. At one point he mentions putting together an event around tennis and I thought that sounded really interesting. I know it’s Mike Tyson and he has said a lot of interesting things over the years but I hope they pull it off.

Anyhow pretty entertaining unplanned way to spend a Saturday night and introduce a few little guys to boxing.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed it. It's interesting watching two guys who don't have elite physical conditioning (because they're in their 50s), but with elite level knowledge and skill.

Having said that, I thought RJJ's "jab and run away" tactic was a bit strange.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I enjoyed it. It's interesting watching two guys who don't have elite physical conditioning (because they're in their 50s), but with elite level knowledge and skill.

It's funny you mentioned RJJ's tactics. Because this was somewhat on a whim I did not have much time to think about what might happen (outside of my thought that there was no way this was not an absolute circus...glad I was wrong on that one) so I had forgotten about just how calculated and absolutely brutal it is to watch.

That elite level knowledge coupled with having to really pick their shots is what I was hoping for. I won't say it fully met those hopes but it was also not a disappointment.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
BarryP wrote:

It's funny you mentioned RJJ's tactics. Because this was somewhat on a whim I did not have much time to think about what might happen (outside of my thought that there was no way this was not an absolute circus...glad I was wrong on that one) so I had forgotten about just how calculated and absolutely brutal it is to watch.

That elite level knowledge coupled with having to really pick their shots is what I was hoping for. I won't say it fully met those hopes but it was also not a disappointment.

So I often watch this stuff for free right after the fight is over. I went searching on youtube and found what I thought was the fight. It said Tyson vs Jones and the two guys looks like Tyson and Jones, and they sucked! They basically stood there, looked at each other, and barely threw any punches. I was actually confused, because my first thought was, "well, I guess that's what happens when you get old." Then I realized, I know martial artists their age who look way better.

I turned it off and thought, "glad I didn't waste my time on this." Then I happened to catch a glimpse on Facebook of Tyson charging at Jones and throwing a flurry of blows.

I went back and found the actual fight and you know what? Not bad. For 16 minutes of exhibition between two former stars, not bad. They both brought their A game. I'm actually kind of glad I had my expectations lowered right before I saw it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Maybe he didn’t want to get hit by Mike Tyson?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

That's honestly what I was thinking. Like:

Goal #1 - Don't get knocked out.

Goal #2 - If you're lucky, he'll get tired.

One has to wonder how good Tyson could have been had his coach lived, and had he avoided prison. Not sure he had the temperament for an Ali level career, but he clearly had a lot of talent.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tyson is one of those people where his opponents had to seriously contemplate whether or not they might die in the ring. His sheer power was just... unbelievable.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

Maybe don’t step into the ring with Mike Tyson?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

Maybe don’t step into the ring with Mike Tyson?

I heard RJJ talk about this. He said he had accepted the fight knowing that Tyson wasn't in shape. Then it got postponed, allowing him to get in shape, at which point he was a little concerned.

Quote Reply