Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bands that you'd gotten into really late [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Thom wrote:
planetsbr wrote:
As Dave Grohl said, go deeper into the music that your favourite bands liked.

This has been so true for me. I went to a 4 day music festival last year put on by may favorite musician where he invited a bunch of bands he loved. It has become the core of most of what I listen to now.

Agreed. I listen to Tom Petty Radio on Sirius XM quite a bit, not just because I love his music but also because you get to hear quite a few of the artists that influenced his sound or that he was a fan of where the Buried Treasure show features stuff from his own personal collection. Same with Underground Garage where you get a little of everything including 60s girl groups and 70s punk, but also the great 60s garage bands and British artists that influenced so many other musicians going forward.

Actually that music festival was at the House of Blues in Boston, I should have invited you.
Quote Reply
Re: Bands that you'd gotten into really late [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arcade Fire. Discovered them by mistake during lockdown 1.
Quote Reply
Re: Bands that you'd gotten into really late [planetsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
planetsbr wrote:
BarryP wrote:
zed707 wrote:
My god man, what rock have you been hiding under?

I was going to say Greta Van Fleet. I just recently got in to them, but they've been around a while. That's mostly because radio kind of sucks in Spokane.

But the Beatles, the Who, the Stones, and Johnny Cash? Were you raised by wolves?

It's my parent's generation's music. I was too busy listening my my own generation's music. You know, like most people.

I was like you. Now I respect music from most genres and periods. As Dave Grohl said, go deeper into the music that your favourite bands liked.
Funnily enough my kids who are older teenagers don't give a crap about music eras and categories. They are much more open minded than I ever was about music.

I'm wondering how much of a difference the internet makes. As I said earlier, when I was in my 20s, I had to work a half day to buy an album. Singles weren't realistic, and the only other options were MTV and the radio. It was tough taking a chance on new music.

There was a time when a friend of mine and I would go to the CD store and buy an album each based entirely off of the label and the art work. It was tone of the only ways to discover new music.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a lot of deep dives into rock history early in my music listening and I feel like it would be a very rare band that I hadn't at least considered and either gotten into or not from back then. I'm not really "getting into" new bands the same way as much these days. I'll just add the track I like to my Spotify playlist and not go searching the rest of their oeuvre. I suppose the band that I'm into now that I feel like I missed the rise of is King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizards. I only got into them last year and they already have 16 album back catalogue and a decade together.
Quote Reply
Re: Bands that you'd gotten into really late [Hispid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Un-Paid advertisement on behalf of starving artists(nearly all of them):

bandcamp.com is where you'll a ridiculous variety of all things new/old. Take a walk on the wild side..use the genre filters to zero in on some names(99% of whom you've never heard of) and see where it takes you. The first Friday of every month the artist receives 100% of the day's proceeds, which is huge(the subject of royalty rates to content creators via Spotify, etc. is a pretty sore subject). These days almost all of the bands I'm listening to source from a bandcamp purchase; a good number of these folks have been at it a while and I wish I'd known about them much longer..
Quote Reply
Re: Bands that you'd gotten into really late [alltom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second Bandcamp

Also, if you want to discover new/new-to-you music, explore sources outside your "usual" Stream an online college radio feed from outside your local. I highly recommend WPRB from Princeton - it's REAL college radio, highly eclectic; not the NPR-driven, corporate-subsidized stuff like XPN

alltom1 wrote:
... the subject of royalty rates to content creators via Spotify, etc. is a pretty sore subject...

I saw a tweet the other day where an artist received a check for $2500 for 125,000 plays on Spotify

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Bands that you'd gotten into really late [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somehow, I missed H2O and Gorilla Biscuits, but when I saw Toby Morse on Rich Roll [he was wearing a Gorilla Biscuits shirt] and a couple other vegan podcasts, I decided to check them out

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I was into them in the 80s, but back then only the kids in the jean jackets (and me) listened to Metallica, until the Black Album pushed them into the mainstream in the summer of '91.
I was in high school in Ohio in the early 80s. Rock and pop were the main music choices in the suburbs.
Country music was the choice for farmers and factory workers.
I went to college in TX where country was the main music of choice and people were freaked out that I preferred rock as I was your typical clean cut guy.
I guess they assumed you had to have tats and torn jeans to like rock.

It is interesting how different regions view the music types.
Quote Reply
Re: Bands that you'd gotten into really late [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
planetsbr wrote:

This has been so true for me. I went to a 4 day music festival last year put on by may favorite musician where he invited a bunch of bands he loved. It has become the core of most of what I listen to now.

Same deal here. The Stones are a somewhat recent example. Led me right down the Graham Parson's rabbit hole of The Byrds (Sweetheart of the Rodeo), Flying Burrito Brothers, etc. It also got me working backwards a decent amount.

Another one to add - Eric Clapton and specifically the Cream era. After watching a documentary on Ginger (drummer) and buying a Les Paul I'm still on that track of chasing tones and appreciating the musicianship going on.

On the note of musicianship once I started going down the route of appreciating what was going on outside of the vocals and genre things just blew right up and continue to do so for me. Never thought I'd be anything even slightly resembling a country music (or western for you purists out there) but the more you get into it the lines between county and rock are really blurry (outside of some really obviously guitar techniques like chicken picking etc).
Quote Reply
Re: Bands that you'd gotten into really late [planetsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
planetsbr wrote:

"I was basically trying to rip off The Pixies" - Kurt Cobain

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I
RandMart wrote:
planetsbr wrote:

He didn't stop there. The Breeders were also one of his favorite acts.

That's pretty interesting though. I've never really thought about Nirvana in that way. Just picked up From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah and will try to look out for some Pixie inspiration.
Quote Reply
Re: Bands that you'd gotten into really late [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
I
RandMart wrote:
planetsbr wrote:

Kim & Kelly were the Real Deal

Also, Dave liked The Germs so much, he gave Pat Smear a job for life

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hispid wrote:
I did a lot of deep dives into rock history early in my music listening and I feel like it would be a very rare band that I hadn't at least considered and either gotten into or not from back then. I'm not really "getting into" new bands the same way as much these days. I'll just add the track I like to my Spotify playlist and not go searching the rest of their oeuvre. I suppose the band that I'm into now that I feel like I missed the rise of is King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizards. I only got into them last year and they already have 16 album back catalogue and a decade together.

Same deal here with a lot of what you said but especially King Gizzard. I’m putting myself on a record buying freeze out for a while and a big part of that is diving into their ridiculous discography.

I’m case you missed it they also just released 2 albums on 11/20..dammit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
I
RandMart wrote:
planetsbr wrote:

Kim & Kelly were the Real Deal

Also, Dave liked The Germs so much, he gave Pat Smear a job for life

I always wondered how the Pat Smear thing came about. Seemed like it was out of nowhere and now one of my first mental images of Nirvana is Smear with that killer guitar on the Unplugged set.

Speaking of Kim Deal I had the most hopeless crush on that girl when I was younger. Still one of the sexiest rock voices of all time in my book.
Quote Reply
Re: Bands that you'd gotten into really late [Simmo_84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simmo_84 wrote:
Bark Psychosis - An utter gem of a 90s/early 00s band that I somehow only discovered earlier this year. I have always had a big love for anything in the post rock genre, and these guys more or less created it.

An upside to Corona for me atleast is being able to spend more time delving into music that I truly love.

I have also never owned anything by the Beatles, they were fine I guess, just never appealed to me.

Same here when it comes to the Beatles but after a somewhat compelling argument from a friend I bought Revolver (I dig psychedelic rock type music) a few months back and I’m really glad I did. Reading about them helped me get interested in that album specifically.
Quote Reply
Re: Bands that you'd gotten into really late [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heh I missed it but I’ll bet my son didn’t.
Quote Reply
Re: Bands that you'd gotten into really late [alltom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Bandcamp for finding all the weird bands that were making independent records in my home town back in the eighties. Someone from one of the now defunct indie record labels is tracking down all these old gems and uploading them.
I know I should phase out using Spotify but I like the convenience of the ap. Maybe I’ll buy the music in the way that supports the bands or see if they have a Patreon but listen to them on Spotify.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted to get into the rolling stones but they said it is too late. Things are winding down now :)

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hispid wrote:
I use Bandcamp for finding all the weird bands that were making independent records in my home town back in the eighties. Someone from one of the now defunct indie record labels is tracking down all these old gems and uploading them.
I know I should phase out using Spotify but I like the convenience of the ap. Maybe I’ll buy the music in the way that supports the bands or see if they have a Patreon but listen to them on Spotify.

Will try Bandcamp for that. There's also a bunch of facebook groups that highlight retro local music . I have found some AWESOME unknown bands. Unlikely anyone will have ever heard of them.

[ The sign of intelligence is you are constantly wondering. Idiots are always dead sure about every damn thing they are doing in their life. - Vasudev ]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Little Feat - 2020 (after seeing Bill Payne and Fred Tackett sit in with a couple of bands at Ardmore Music Hall the weekend before the lockdown started in March).

51 years after their US debut.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
alex_korr wrote:
BarryP wrote:
Here's my list. The year I started really listening to them and how many years after their US debut

Misfits - 2020 / 38
The Beatles - 2011 / 47
The Who - 2010 / 44
The Rolling Stones -2004 / 40
Johnny Cash - 2003 / 46

Whatcha got?

I discovered the Misfits in the mid 90s when Collection I and II came out. Loved their Danzig era stuff ever since and even the 1st Michael Graves album is very very good.
Been listening to a lot of metal from the early 90s. Most of Norwegian stuff from the early 90s is still holding up great. The first 4 of Morbid Angel are still undeniable, though very very different from each other.

I saw Morbid Angel live ~1998. I own Covenant, Domination, and Formulas Fatal to the Flesh, which looks to be their 3rd, 4th, and 5th albums. I highly recommend FFttF if you haven't heard it.

You know - I gave FFttF a listen and I am hooked! Damn, I somehow did not appreciate it when it came out but in 2020 - holy shit, does it sound ROBUST!
The first 3 songs are just the good old balls out Covenant style assault. And the compositions around the Invocation of the Continual One are probably the best example of how to experiment in extreme metal without producing drek.

Thank you for making me revisit this great underappreciated gem!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Bands that you'd gotten into really late [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember not liking it at first, but over time it became probably my favorite album of theirs

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was running on the treadmill, streaming music from Pandora on my phone which was out of reach so I couldn't choose or control anything. Blind Guardian's Lionheart came on and holy shit what a set of pipes on the vocalist!

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply

Prev Next