Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Selling A House
Quote | Reply
This process is bad. Have offer, but had no idea I was living in a contaminated death trap for the last 25 yrs. What a racket. It's not a new house. Tough to get straight answers from anyone, my agent their agent. Everything seems to take forever with no action. Don't want to quibble over a few grand, but at what point does it become ludicrous. Not sure if I need any advice or just a rant.
Quote Reply
Re: Selling A House [Zmlick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Radon? Just get it done, more costly if you have a crawpace that hasn't been sealed. Should be pretty cheap if newish basement with a slab.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asbestos, mold, termites, radon, lead paint, rotten wood, oil tank?
Quote Reply
Re: Selling A House [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Asbestos, mold, termites, radon, lead paint, rotten wood, oil tank?

termites, rotten wood

These are the only two that scare me and the unknowns with them. The others are relatively cheap to take care of or leave alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Selling A House [shoff14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just everything. Small mold in attic, claim water (well) issues, but never been a problem before. Say electric is not up to code, but was code when built. Yada Yada Yada.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take your time. Go through the process. DON’T rush it or make any last minute decisions to “make things easy”. You’ll be prone to give on things but don’t unless it’s part of the negotiation and you can get something too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zmlick wrote:
Just everything. Small mold in attic, claim water (well) issues, but never been a problem before. Say electric is not up to code, but was code when built. Yada Yada Yada.

Anyone that bitches about electric is just trying to get more out of you. There is a difference between new code and old code vs. rats nest of wires found in an attic. If the electric is still safe, the purchaser needs to understand that they are not buying a new house. Tell them if they want a new house, go buy one at new house premiums.

Now if you have a Federal Pacific panel, then go get the damn thing rewired now.

Mold is easy to take care of, go buy a $5 bottle mold killer at Lowes.

Wells can be a pain, same with septic systems, the 3rd item that scares me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zmlick wrote:

Unless your house was wired within the last two years it is unlikely to be to code. (It is “pre existing, non conforming) Maybe they could define the issues a bit better? IE certain issues are huge, for example up here if your service is under 100 amp then no insurance, meaning no mortgage...meaning fix it. Other things like not having plugs every 12 feet, or not having the perfect amount of split appliance plugs aren’t really issues.

Can’t speak to the well.

Can you identify the source of mould?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Selling A House [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No hurry. Trying to move closer to 2 yr old granddaughter in Madison from Ohio. So far only have "issues" buyers agent, who is a newish younger agent. No details and no feeling on what buyers want. Say they like the house and area so would be surprised if they are trying to out of contract. As I may have said not looking to screw the deal, but don't want to be hounded to death and "have" to fix everything
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel you. When we were selling a condo a couple years ago we ended up selling the damn thing 4 times to get it to stick. People would offer right away and then claim some stupid thing in the inspection was a deal breaker.

The worst was the third person. They wanted it but the guy that did their inspection seemed intent on scaring them to death. He had a bunch of stuff in there that said things like, there is no evidence of water damage but if the sink wasn't caulked correctly there could be hidden water damage. He had that on around every plumbing fixture.

And this or that is not built to current code, that was in there 8 or 10 times.

On each one he noted there wasn't an actual problem but the way it read you'd think the place was ready to cave in.

We sold it for the same amount every time, it was just a giant pain in the ass.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are getting worked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zmlick wrote:
No hurry. Trying to move closer to 2 yr old granddaughter in Madison from Ohio. So far only have "issues" buyers agent, who is a newish younger agent. No details and no feeling on what buyers want. Say they like the house and area so would be surprised if they are trying to out of contract. As I may have said not looking to screw the deal, but don't want to be hounded to death and "have" to fix everything

Not sure why the agent is coming up with these.

Isn’t the process:
- home inspection,
- buyers’ lawyer writes your lawyer a letter asking for items to be remedied,
- your lawyer replies after consulting with you?
Quote Reply
Re: Selling A House [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
I feel you. When we were selling a condo a couple years ago we ended up selling the damn thing 4 times to get it to stick. People would offer right away and then claim some stupid thing in the inspection was a deal breaker.

Not that uncommon. I live on a lake. Houses are in demand. People will contract them sight unseen, using only the pics on the internet, then use the inspection as an out if they don't like it. My neighbor bought his that way. He said that they were relocating from 1,000 miles away and the first couple of houses were under contract before they could book a flight to look at them.

You can always find 'something' during the inspection to get out of the contract.
Quote Reply
Re: Selling A House [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Zmlick wrote:

Not sure why the agent is coming up with these.

Isn’t the process:
- home inspection,
- buyers’ lawyer writes your lawyer a letter asking for items to be remedied,
- your lawyer replies after consulting with you?
Because in most states agents do that and lawyers only get involved if something goes very wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel you. Real estate agents are often next to useless, if not an active impediment to getting things done.

We sold two properties out of my dad’s estate this autumn - one deal had agents on both sides, one without. The deal with agents entailed far more drama and bullshit, and they mostly seemed there to collect their fees.
Quote Reply
Re: Selling A House [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You are getting worked.

This. Most people who bid on a house, want the house, and once they bid, they have a hard time changing their mind back to not wanting it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just went through the selling process. Home was less then 6 years old. In a very hit or miss neighborhood. One house would be 600k the next a 50k tear down. So happens my house sat across from a house that was a 50k tear down. Yard was a wreck, cars shit, and more kids toys in yard then grass. I would estimate that house cost me 100k. Most potential buyers loved house but could not live across from the shitty house. I get it, I hate it myself. I was hoping it would of been torn down long ago. In the two month period it was on the market I had over 50 showings. Two low ball offers, and one offer that drug on for 3 weeks. Buyer could not get past the unpermitted finished basement. Back in market next day, got an offer straight away went into contract and 4 hours later fell out of contract no reasons given. Back on market for another offer for above asking and then very next day backup offer for even more above asking. In the end I bought the clean home inspection report from the first buyer and used as a sales tool to offset the unpermitted basement. Guess it worked!

Closed a week ago. So my advice hang in there. Realtor’s suck, I was close to firing mine several
Times. The feedback can be brutal people suck as well. But remember it is a sellers market, it will sell just give it sometime. It only takes one buyer to make it work.
Last edited by: ronc185: Nov 29, 20 5:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started last Monday at 15% below asking price. They are now currently 6% and we've had a second offer for cash that's 3.3% below asking.

The beauty of the cash offer is in the system I'm selling in, if they do not inspection in addition to the mandatory diagnostics (electrics, construction, asbestos, termites etc) they have to complete or lose their deposit. There is no negotiation after signing the offer.

The question is can I get them to 1%
Quote Reply