Re: History made [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BLeP wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Isn’t that how it is now though? If its a sport where there’s no “men’s” and “women’s”, then there’s just “the team”. Eg football, hockey in many areas, artistic swimming.

Sure for those sports. How about basketball. Should there be a team for basketball? Tennis?

There’s men’s and women’s basketball. Same in tennis, soccer, swimming, water polo etc etc.

There’s virtually no women’s football. There is women’s hockey, but in a lot of areas there isn’t enough participation (either through interest or availability) to have a women’s league. There’s no men’s artistic swimming. So if a man wants to do artistic swimming, he’s got to join “the team” which will be all women.

Yes I understand all that. The poster I replied to suggested we do away with men’s and women’s sports. Just have teams.

So should we do away with women’s basketball? Let the womens try out for the basketball team?

Or let men try out for field hockey? How long before that sport was all men and virtually no women.

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that men and women are not exactly the same.

Men are allowed. And some colleges have mens' field hockey. And big field hockey countries - i.e. Germany, Netherlands - have mens national hockey teams as well as club level teams. Canada competes in most mens Olympics. The US hasn't fielded a mens team since 96, we we had an automatic bid as host. We ended round robin 0-0-5, scoring 3 goals. Allowing 23... We were the worst of the 10 teams by a huge margin.

Men’s field hockey isn’t an NCAA sport. I think a handful of schools may use men on their practice squads. I’m sure there may be some schools that offer it as a club sport and I’m aware that there is international men’s field hockey. How our men perform in that league is kind of immaterial. My point was that, if you stopped differentiating between men’s and women’s teams or sports, and just recruited the best athletes for each sport, women would end up getting shut out a lot more than they currently are.

There are a lot of guys who can’t get a scholarship for men’s football, baseball, basketball, soccer, etc, because they’re not quite good enough. A lot of those guys would be pretty good if not top tier players if they were on the women’s teams.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: History made [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was the kick that short on purpose? If not it was a pretty lame kick. Not sure what the point of that was. I guess a novelty thing. Glad they kept her out of a situation where she could have got hammered.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: History made [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: History made [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
Sarah got it done:

https://twitter.com/.../1337875724691247108

Yea!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noice! FG next step?

Quote Reply
Re: History made [spockwaslen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockwaslen wrote:
Glad they kept her out of a situation where she could have got hammered.

Why, you think women are somehow super fragile?

Here, here's a HS chick putting a solid hit on the returner. :)

Last edited by: trail: Dec 12, 20 15:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
Sarah got it done:

That’s pretty cool.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: History made [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
spockwaslen wrote:
Glad they kept her out of a situation where she could have got hammered.

Why, you think women are somehow super fragile?

Here, here's a HS chick putting a solid hit on the returner. :)

She ‘sent him flying’?

Looked she bounced off and flew the farthest of the two. Probably a weight class thing.

Good hit though. I played coed roller hockey for a time and some of those girls could really put it on you.

Chicks are definitely more ‘fragile’ than men, as a group.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
Sarah got it done:

Good stuff!

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: History made [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
Noice! FG next step?

Nope they brought in a guy to kick a 39 yard field goal, which isn't exactly long. But she did kick another extra point.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved seeing how her team rallied around her after she made the points. Also, it was awesome to see the ref bringing the football to her on the sideline......he was trying his best to get her attention, with the ball
Quote Reply
Re: History made [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
I loved seeing how her team rallied around her after she made the points. Also, it was awesome to see the ref bringing the football to her on the sideline......he was trying his best to get her attention, with the ball

Me too. It is cool to see how sports can bring out the best in us.

I wonder how many little girls are outside today trying to kick a field goal(or have been hounded by their dads to come out into the backyard and give it a try). What a time to be alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
EyeRunMD wrote:

Me too. It is cool to see how sports can bring out the best in us.

I wonder how many little girls are outside today trying to kick a field goal(or have been hounded by their dads to come out into the backyard and give it a try). What a time to be alive.

It might be worth noting that the history of the “Power 5” isn’t particularly long. The term has only been in use for about 15 years.

Not to diminish the hard work of Sarah Fuller, but let’s not forget that Katie Hnida kicked extra points for New Mexico in 2003, and April Goss kicked for Kent State in 2015. There have been a handful of other women playing college football for FBS teams as well.

In particular, Hnida had a rough time of it, having originally played for Colorado, where she alleged a teammate raped her, after which her coach and the fans treated her very poorly.

What Fuller is doing is nice, even though she’s only kicking point afters, and another male kicker is kicking field goals (so far). But fortunately or unfortunately, I don’t know that it’s any symbol of significant change. It’s a function of COVID dictated necessity. And in the discussion of her being the “first” the narrative has tended to overlook the women who actually preceded her.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply

Prev Next