Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Front wheel for Trek Speed Concept Gen2
Quote | Reply
Was looking at either Enve 7.8 or Princeton Wake 6560. Looking for a tubeless set up and stable in crosswinds. Average speed around 27mph.

Any other suggestions or known fast wheels for that frame?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel for Trek Speed Concept Gen2 [cyclistgarage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bontrager aeolus 7?
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel for Trek Speed Concept Gen2 [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's now the Aeolus XXX 6. I'll look into that one. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I really dig the older seven.but I imagine the breaking is way better on the new ones even though I don't think it's horrible on this one. If I had it to do over again though I would consider enve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aeolus 7 - yeh they don’t brake like a disc, but if your on flat roads or rolling they are decent enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t think you can go wrong with any of the wheels already mentioned. I would also consider zipp 808/858 and HED Jet 9.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm biased, but Ineos, including Ganna, riding the PCW 6560 in time trials is a pretty good endorsement. When the unlimited budget team isn't obligated to sponsors when aero is all that matters, it's a good sign.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel for Trek Speed Concept Gen2 [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are on the list! I’m still on HED 3s with Veloflex tubs - would be interesting to know what the actual watts difference would be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I'm biased, but Ineos, including Ganna, riding the PCW 6560 in time trials is a pretty good endorsement. When the unlimited budget team isn't obligated to sponsors when aero is all that matters, it's a good sign.

I used to think that Sky only used the best equipment until I went with a group of people to the wind tunnel. We brought one of the first gen Kask helmets and it pretty much sucked on everyone. I talked to the guy who runs the tunnel and he said that it was rarely the fastest helmet on anyone. Given how individual helmets are, you know that any team that was really into marginal gains would have riders on about 5 different helmets.

I think the PCW wheels are interesting and it would be cool to see a review of those compared to the Zipp wavey wheels and maybe something more standard like a Jet 9. I noticed Dennis is still riding the 3-spoke and the rest of Shimano wheels the team could be riding aren’t exactly known for being some of the better aero wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the revolver 3spoke is quick

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel for Trek Speed Concept Gen2 [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

I used to think that Sky only used the best equipment until I went with a group of people to the wind tunnel. We brought one of the first gen Kask helmets and it pretty much sucked on everyone. I talked to the guy who runs the tunnel and he said that it was rarely the fastest helmet on anyone. Given how individual helmets are, you know that any team that was really into marginal gains would have riders on about 5 different helmets.

I think the PCW wheels are interesting and it would be cool to see a review of those compared to the Zipp wavey wheels and maybe something more standard like a Jet 9. I noticed Dennis is still riding the 3-spoke and the rest of Shimano wheels the team could be riding aren’t exactly known for being some of the better aero wheels.
Interesting. Do we know if they're contractually obligated to ride Kask no matter what though? I guess I always kind of figured they were otherwise we'd see them in Aeroheads and such. Not much point in testing different options if you can't wear them anyways.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Kask is actually a very fast helmet on a lot of people. The old one only tended to work OK if you were staring at the white line on the road. I am sure Kask sold a boatload of those from their Sky sponsorship and they were ~$400. Maybe they used all that cash to develop the new version.

I guess you can kind of see that a company like Sky wouldn’t want the entire team looking like they had been shopping at a garage sale.
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel for Trek Speed Concept Gen2 [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also worth mentioning most of the SKY team moved on from the OG bambino to the Bambino Pro Evo long before it was ever available to the public.

The Mistral is likely a really good helmet for some folks

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hed Jet 9 or 6 if it’s really windy. They are cheap and with the aluminum brake surface they actually stop with crappy integrated tt brakes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know if Princeton recommends a 23 or 25 for their front wheel?
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel for Trek Speed Concept Gen2 [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if it is as unstable as I’ve heard the shimano tri spoke is in cross winds.
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel for Trek Speed Concept Gen2 [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swissside 800 is on my list. I think that’s pretty much the same as the DT Swiss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclistgarage wrote:
Do you know if Princeton recommends a 23 or 25 for their front wheel?
23 in most tires is the best fit. A 23mm gp5000 measures nearly perfectly at 24.5 for me and my 23mm Michelin Power Time Trial comes in closer to 25, so not quite as ideal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Highly recommend Hed Jet 9+ for that bike and if you're worried about wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel for Trek Speed Concept Gen2 [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altayloraus wrote:
They are on the list! I’m still on HED 3s with Veloflex tubs - would be interesting to know what the actual watts difference would be.
I've done a huge amount of testing on the Gen2 Speed Concept and I'm pretty confident that nothing made today is as fast as that combo on that bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jet 6 black. You can ride it in basically any wind condition and the braking is phenomenal.
Quote Reply