Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

indoor cycling with smart trainer vs outdoors
Quote | Reply
Curious for peoples thoughts on this. I am training for Ironman Lake Placid 2021. I am currently using Rouvey and the Lake Placid 70.3 course on my Wahoo Kickr smart trainer. Do you feel this type of indoor training is as beneficial as outdoor training? (aside fr the bike handling etc)

I was thinking of doing most of my cycling indoors, then maybe 2 months before taking 1 long ride each week outdoors.

The realistic feel of the trainer makes me wonder how close to the real thing I am experiencing?

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: indoor cycling with smart trainer vs outdoors [johnp12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I would suggest more than two months outside doing the long ride, at least three or four on your intended race bike. Trainer is great but at some point you need to transfer that power to the road, and this can affect things like HR response. A longer period of time gives you more ability to build the core strength of riding TT position on the roads and get comfortable in that position, which will interact differently on the road than in a fixed position. You'll be a lot more comfortable on race day.
Quote Reply