Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are you a 0 or a 6...degree float?
Quote | Reply
Me? Definitely a 0!

After 35 years of riding the Mavic/Shimano/Look pedal system, I switched systems so that all my bikes are the same. Completely forgot to pick up 0 float cleats, so I will see how my knees are tomorrow after a session in the 6 float.
Quote Reply
Re: Are you a 0 or a 6...degree float? [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is also a 2 degree float cleat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use 0...have for about 6 months now. No real reason, they just work and i like how they feel though it does take a bit more time to get just right

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
Me? Definitely a 0!

After 35 years of riding the Mavic/Shimano/Look pedal system, I switched systems so that all my bikes are the same. Completely forgot to pick up 0 float cleats, so I will see how my knees are tomorrow after a session in the 6 float.

6 degree.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Open my speedplay zeros ALL the way!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first pair of cycling cleats had 0 float. I destroyed my achilles as they were not aligned correctly. I now use 6.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 degrees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedplay Zero pedal/cleat adjusted to give approximately:
15 degree toe-out (max)
5 degree toe-in (to make clip out easier, otherwise I'd leave this max also)

In other words the only reason I want any limit on float is to facilitate clip out.
I don't need the pedal to provide a mechanical limit on foot yaw, my legs are far better at managing this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've changed from the grey 4 to the red 9 degree cleats on Look Keo pedals.
My right knee is thanking me for it. (My left knee is ambivalent and was fine with 4 degrees).
Quote Reply
Re: Are you a 0 or a 6...degree float? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
There is also a 2 degree float cleat.

This is what I use : 2 degree float :)

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate the feel of any float. Used 0 float Shimano's for years.

It is really bothersome because while I want to like my Speedplay aero zero's... there is no way to get that locked in feel with them :(

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Are you a 0 or a 6...degree float? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:

It is really bothersome because while I want to like my Speedplay aero zero's... there is no way to get that locked in feel with them :(
Do you not get that by closing the adjustment grub screws right down to lock the float? I've never tried myself, perhaps this still leaves perceptible play in the system?
Quote Reply
Re: Are you a 0 or a 6...degree float? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Morelock wrote:

Do you not get that by closing the adjustment grub screws right down to lock the float? I've never tried myself, perhaps this still leaves perceptible play in the system?

yeah, unfortunately just by the design speedplays will always have some float in them, even with the grub screws tightened all the way down. It's probably not measurably a lot, but it feels like your foot is all over the place (comparatively to something like Shimano Reds)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Are you a 0 or a 6...degree float? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:

I've always used 0 float except for the time I put the "cool looking" red cleats on and hated them. It takes me some time to get them right but I like the locked in feeling.

On my mountain bike I use eggbeaters with 6° float. I'm indifferent to them because I thought that was the only option available until now. I just looked them up and there's a zero option, I'll be looking for a set of those today.
Quote Reply
Re: Are you a 0 or a 6...degree float? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Morelock wrote:

I've always used 0 float except for the time I put the "cool looking" red cleats on and hated them. It takes me some time to get them right but I like the locked in feeling.

On my mountain bike I use eggbeaters with 6° float. I'm indifferent to them because I thought that was the only option available until now. I just looked them up and there's a zero option, I'll be looking for a set of those today.

I use the gray 4.5 degree Look Keo Cleats with my Assioma power pedals. Give me enough float and work great with the pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 degree
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use 2 degree (shimano blue) cleats.

To me, the biggest difference in feel from the yellow 6 degree cleat is that the pivot point is in a different spot. Rather than center of the cleat, it pivots closer to your toe. As soon as I tried them, I was sold.
Quote Reply
Re: Are you a 0 or a 6...degree float? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Speedplay Zero pedal/cleat adjusted to give approximately:
15 degree toe-out (max)
5 degree toe-in (to make clip out easier, otherwise I'd leave this max also)

In other words the only reason I want any limit on float is to facilitate clip out.
I don't need the pedal to provide a mechanical limit on foot yaw, my legs are far better at managing this.

Same. Only adjusted enough to make release comfortable.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply