Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

mRNA Doping
Quote | Reply

https://www.usatoday.com/...-new-era/6311228002/

Quote:
It took years of work for Weissman and a Penn colleague, Katalin Karikó,to find that if they swapped out one of the building blocks of RNA – called a nucleoside – not only would they solve their inflammation problem, the mRNA would make much more of the desired protein.
"We thought at that point it would be a great therapeutic," said Weissman, whose research is funded by BioNTech.
Weissman and Karikó used their modified mRNA to make a hormone called erythropoietin, the absence of which causes a lack of red blood cells, leading to anemia.
"It worked beautifully," Weissman said. So far, the results are confined to a lab dish, mice and macaque monkeys. Someday, he hopes to test similar approaches against diseases in people.
In their lab, Weissman and his colleagues tested experimental vaccines against about 30 diseases. "It's looked great in just about all," he said.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: mRNA Doping [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's probably an eventuality.
Quote Reply
Re: mRNA Doping [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if it would also need to be stored at -94 F? That would limit it's practicality for most, would it not?

Edit - But on second thought, you may need to do it only once and have the effects for the rest of your life. That creates some crazy new wrinkles in doping enforcement.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Nov 24, 20 18:01
Quote Reply
Re: mRNA Doping [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Edit - But on second thought, you may need to do it only once and have the effects for the rest of your life.
This technology does not modify your genetic code. Each bit of mRNA is basically just an order form that tells a cell to make a protein.

And mRNA is extremely fragile, it does not last long in the body. This fragility is the reason that mRNA treatments weren't available decades ago, and why the mRNA vaccines need to be stored very cold.
Quote Reply
Re: mRNA Doping [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But presumably they make the protein for a long time? Or is it only long enough for your immune system to recognize it? Obviously I am not a biochemist....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Nov 27, 20 17:06
Re: mRNA Doping [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it has been a while since biochemisry, and maybe I misinterpreted your reply, but mRNA is no t likely a long term result and if I interpret your answer one way I think we are saying the same thing,

but as I recall the mRNA carries the protein message to the ribosomes which every cell has. So if there is some mRNA around it will eventually find a ribosome and then the transcription into a protein happens. Once the mRNA is used to get the message to the ribosome I do not think it can be read again otherwise you would not have any protein ever stop being made which would be an obvious problem, So in the case of a vaccine all that needs to happen is that you produce some of the protein, the immune system amplifies as needed to develop immunity. in the case of doping I think one injection would only produce a limited amount of EPO for instance and that to get more would require further injections. I would be interested in knowing more about this though.

Also my understanding (and maybe what you are saying as well) is why something like crispr gene editing is so interesting once a gene is edited as long as the cell keeps dividing and the cell line lives it will produce the protein. That would mean in the case of EPO it would continue to be produced. Not sure if in the long run that would be good or bad for health.
Quote Reply
Re: mRNA Doping [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the current covid 'vaccines' are being developed to use mRNA (pfizer version).

but playing with gods code, as other doping drugs has its trade offs:

https://www.mskcc.org/news/scientists-find-cancer-drivers-hiding-rna-not-dna
Quote Reply