Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift on Windows with Bluetooth
Quote | Reply
Anyone have success using Windows Bluetooth for connection to Smart trainer/PM/HRM in Zwift? My Stages PM seems to be having issues broadcasting in Ant+, signal to Zwift and my head unit keep dropping (and I do have the Ant dongle right under my bottom bracket, so it shouldn't be interference). I bought a Bluetooth dongle, but Zwift does not appear to see it, the Bluetooth icon on the pairing screen stays inactive. The PC definitely sees the PM and Smart Trainer via Bluetooth, but won't pair with them in Control Panel. Not sure if that's normal or not. I Googled and it appears that Windows Bluetooth and Zwift don't play well together, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone has a trick to make it work.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Windows with Bluetooth [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Windows has some major Bluetooth issues. It's kind of unbelievable how unreliable it is. Even with a dongle a lot of things just won't connect or will constantly drop out. BT devices listed as "health devices' or whatever they call it especially struggle. And don't even get me started on audio over Bluetooth...

Basically, it just sucks for no reason despite the fact that windows 10 has been out for 5 years...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Windows with Bluetooth [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a Surface Pro 4 and the BT hasn't had any issues with Zwift. My ANT+ dingle sometimes takes a few times before it's recognized.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Windows with Bluetooth [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
I use a Surface Pro 4 and the BT hasn't had any issues with Zwift. My ANT+ dingle sometimes takes a few times before it's recognized.
While I only have experience with early gen Surfaces, I'm fairly certain BT support has been made much better for any tablet/convertible type device as it's nearly completely reliant on it. The convertible windows software is slightly different and as Microsoft is also the manufacturer of those, they can make sure the hardware will play along nicely.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check settings for the latest Windows update and let it install. I also use Intel Driver and Support Assistant to keep it updated. It might just be your BT needs to be updated.
Intel® Driver & Support Assistant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had no trouble.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Windows with Bluetooth [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Windows has some major Bluetooth issues. It's kind of unbelievable how unreliable it is. Even with a dongle a lot of things just won't connect or will constantly drop out. BT devices listed as "health devices' or whatever they call it especially struggle. And don't even get me started on audio over Bluetooth...

Basically, it just sucks for no reason despite the fact that windows 10 has been out for 5 years...

IT here.

Issue is not Windows. Issue it is the bluetooth driver developed by the hardware maker. Or maybe the bloatware application that runs in user context to allow the user access to bluetooth settings. It's usually an icon in the notification area. You don't need any of those get rid of them.

Most of Windows 3rd party applications codebase, we call it Win32 code, is old and terribly broken. Because it is easier to assume and start coding right away, then it is to read about it first, plan, get to know best practices, and then code. Microsoft falls on their sword over and over and take the blame rather than point fingers at their partners.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Nov 20, 20 16:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift pairs instantly with my trainer and HR strap via Bluetooth - only good experiences for me. However, my laptop is less than 3 years old and supports Bluetooth without the need for a dongle. It is similarly easy for me to connect with my phone.

Have you tried to connect your PM to any other devices?

If you're using Windows 10, do you have Bluetooth enabled in "Bluetooth & other devices"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no issues connecting all of my devices with my bluetooth dongle on my pc

Look into Bluetooth drivers

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a $10 BT dongle from super-evil-mega-corp 10 days ago for my Windows 10 desktop and have had no issues at all with a Saris H3 . Previously using Zwift Companion app on my iPhone as a bridge had dropouts at inopportune times like the middle of a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Windows with Bluetooth [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I've had no trouble.

+1
My trainer is ~7ft from my laptop. I use BT for the trainer, HRM, and headphones (Zwift audio and iTunes playlist).

One option is to use the Zwift companion app on your phone as device the trainer and other peripherals connect to. It has the advantages of being closer to the BT sources (typically), and phones do better with BT devices than Windows10 does.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, user error. I didn't realize you had to tell Zwift to use Bluetooth. I clicked on the gear icon on the pairing screen and it asked if I wanted to use Bluetooth. My devices show up and Zwift paired with them. Only odd thing is my Stages PM is showing up as a Smart Trainer. Thanks for the assistance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this problem with Windows 10. This string on the Zwift Forum had the solution to my problem. https://forums.zwift.com/...tall-solved/482345/2[/url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:
So, user error. I didn't realize you had to tell Zwift to use Bluetooth. I clicked on the gear icon on the pairing screen and it asked if I wanted to use Bluetooth. My devices show up and Zwift paired with them. Only odd thing is my Stages PM is showing up as a Smart Trainer. Thanks for the assistance.

You are brave to get back on here and admit this! Kudos!

You’ve also probably helped out more than a few people in the future who stumble upon this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Windows with Bluetooth [rik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rik wrote:
offpiste.reese wrote:

You are brave to get back on here and admit this! Kudos!

You’ve also probably helped out more than a few people in the future who stumble upon this thread.

All my best stories usually start with some sort user error on my part, so if I was afraid of admitting when I did something stupid, I'd never have any good stories to tell! That said, I don't ever recall having to tell Zwift to use Ant, the Ant icon always enabled when I plugged in the Ant stick. I was assuming Bluetooth was similar. Glad I figured it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just set my smart trainer up with Zwift on Windows via Bluetooth. This was after I had to call my oldest son last night to verify that I had Bluetooth on the motherboard I bought from his roommate earlier in the year. It didn't, I thought it did, so I drove over to the big box this morning for a USB Bluetooth adapter. The first time I set it up, computer was still on when I plugged in the adapter I paired my Tacx trainer (which was already plugged in) with the Tacx desktop app, which was immediately recognized. Great! Until, I tried to pair Zwift...and nothing. The Tacx was not recognized in Zwift? I checked the Windows Bluetooth drivers, which were up to date. The easiest solution at this point was to close all apps, unplug the trainer, and restart the computer. After restart and powering up the trainer, I only started Zwift - it worked this time! However, Ant+ was not enabled and it did not work. No biggie, because I was happy to get the darn thing working.
Quote Reply