Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BTA hydration and Canyon Speedmax
Quote | Reply
I know there's already a thread on the new Canyon Speedmax Disc but I wanted to direct the conversation to a specific topic: Between the Aerobars hydration, and specifically its absence, on the newly announced tri bike.

Until now, BTA (between the aerobars) hydration systems were sold as something that not only improved hydration but also carried real wattage gains and are something that top of the range triathlon bikes have had for years, whether they came with the bike or were added with retrofitting of aftermarket products.

Triathlon bikes sold with integrated BTA systems include the previous Canyon Speedmax, Scott Plasma, Giant Trinity Advanced, and more.
Even the new Scott Plasma 6 has kept an integrated BTA solution despite also having a "fuel cell".

Now, Canyon has decided to go a different way.

The new Canyon Speedmax Disc claims a 9W improvement over the Speedmax CF SLX. While the Speedmax CF SLX (rim brakes) has an integrated BTA solution, the new Disc versions (CFR and CF SLX variation) cannot support a BTA solution at all and only allows the use of the integrated "fuel cell".

I'm curious then why is that so? Why did Canyon decide to create something that cannot use such a common solution?
Were the speed gains not that big after all?

I'm looking to hear people's thoughts on the above.
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Nov 20, 20 10:29
Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration and Canyon Speedmax [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I remember an interview of Canyon's engineer, Wolfgang Kohl, he said that the BTA solution from the previous model had following downsides: 1) increase of the exposure to side winds (bigger surface) - the current solution in the frame reduces the side exposure to crosswinds - 2) center of gravity of the bike is higher with a BTA - a disadvantage for the handling of the bike.

Interesting topic, I was almost ready to buy this bike and waiting for it since a long time. I used a Camelbak backpack with such kind of bladder in the past, and it was a PITA to clean. Plus I am not completely convinced of how convenient/easy it is to replace the bladder in the frame after removing it. Plus the increased price. Now I am hesitating a lot. Not interested in the CF for various reasons.
Last edited by: Rainbow_Warrior: Nov 20, 20 15:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Problem with these in frame bladders is the location of the refill port. I find it way harder to refill via a valve behind the stem where my legs are moving when cycling compared to a valve in front of the stem.
The crosswind argument is a poor one. You assume people buying such bikes can handle a bike. If not they should spec them with low profile front wheel as well.
Both Canyon and Scott's new bikes look pretty from a marketing point of view but practicality seems to become an issue with today's so called super bikes.
Impressive designs but so far I am not convinced about daily usability.
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration and Canyon Speedmax [Rainbow_Warrior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rainbow_Warrior wrote:
As far as I remember an interview of Canyon's engineer, Wolfgang Kohl, he said that the BTA solution from the previous model had following downsides: 1) increase of the exposure to side winds (bigger surface) - the current solution in the frame reduces the side exposure to crosswinds - 2) center of gravity of the bike is higher with a BTA - a disadvantage for the handling of the bike.

Interesting topic, I was almost ready to buy this bike and waiting for it since a long time. I used a Camebak backpack with such kind of bladder in the past, and it was a PITA to clean. Plus I am not completely convinced of how convenient/easy it is to replace the bladder in the frame after removing it. Plus the increased price. Now I am hesitating a lot. Not interested in the CF for various reasons.

As a Shiv Tri (rim brake) owner I can say with some confidence that the Canyon's in-frame bladder will be a PITA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing that wonders me is why they so explicit say that it is tested only with water. Like almost saying / reading between the lines; 'shit, that valve gets stuck when it is sticky from sportsdrink so since we are online only and we have to 'protect' ourselves from discussions on issues with the use of sportsdrink after the bike is sold'. So we just say it is only tested with water. Or that cleaning is such a bitch that we just say water only use.

It is so hard to believe that if you put that much work into a integrated hydration system and then don't test it with sportsdrink only with just plain water. What they say is that they didn't test it with sportsdrink due to all the differences in composition it was impossible to test it with sportsdrink. It sounds to me like either they know or expect that some sugary stuff can cause issues.

It just feels a little weird to me with that hydration system.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration and Canyon Speedmax [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding the re-installation of the bladder, this video (in German) demonstrates how it works, doesn't seem too hard (see link at around 16:34).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 750 ml downtube hydration is not that much. Why dont they add an option of BTA bottle cage?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Installation is not the same as cleaning :-) I'm curious how they managed to avoid the patent of Specialized on this. Can't imgane Spec would sold them a license for it.

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's nothing to clean if you fill it with water and concentrate your preferred carbs in the gel bottle, as intended. If you want carbs from course, theres also the BTS.

Jeez, can't make everyone happy, I guess. Give people a gel bottle, BTS, and a bladder, they want more. Give them a P5x and its too much.

750ml is plenty water to make it to the next aid station, there are other places on the bike to put carbs, and there's always the option to add BTA if you want to go 300km without an aid station.
Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration and Canyon Speedmax [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on, If I get a bike at this price setting I don't want to be limited to just plain water to use my hydrationsystem.

Jeroen.

Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration and Canyon Speedmax [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
There's nothing to clean if you fill it with water and concentrate your preferred carbs in the gel bottle, as intended. If you want carbs from course, theres also the BTS.

[.]
750ml is plenty water to make it to the next aid station, there are other places on the bike to put carbs, and there's always the option to add BTA if you want to go 300km without an aid station.

This raises a few questions:
- By gel bottle you mean on the down tube?
- How would you set up the BTA? It really looks like it wouldn't be compatible given the "mono" aerobars
- if you decided to buy it what would be your preferred hydration/nutrition set up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Owning a shiv s works bike with a bladder the big thing is you never know how much liquid is left after first using it. I have run out a number times during a race. I did away with the bladder went to a BTA that is clear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
Come on, If I get a bike at this price setting I don't want to be limited to just plain water to use my hydrationsystem.

Jeroen.

Absolutely - but for training you can put bottles on the bike and use the bladder with sugar for race only maybe, making it less of a pain to clean?

I know lots of people race with mostly to all liquids, so it should be something they are cognizant of. Going to the rear cage for calories isn't the best option - especially for aero!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
Installation is not the same as cleaning :-) I'm curious how they managed to avoid the patent of Specialized on this. Can't imgane Spec would sold them a license for it.

Jeroen

Generally, design patents only last 14 years. When did Specialized submit that patent.

It takes a whole lot of money to get an extension to a patent.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Within SHIV Disc development, ride quality was a big area of focus. Generally speaking ride quality of tri bikes of old was less than optimal.

Keeping the weight in the front end down was critical, and we didnt want the users selection of BTA or no BTA have a large influence on the bike performance.

A lot of heat what thrown at our bike with the rear hydration, but it is still optimal in nearly all regards but re-fill. We always expected that refill would be done at the BTA on an as-needed basis but we also have learned even more from our atheletes since that decision.

Not have 1L of fluid on top and/or in front of the steering axis is a big deal

The SHIV Disc does not have a BTA Solution per say, but it does have a custom BTA mount that can be used to add bottles for long course, or holds the PC for short course. This eliminates a lot of unnecessary weight and improves the ride
Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration and Canyon Speedmax [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Scott Plasma 6 and unlike Speedmax with valve that needs to be pressed, Scott has lid you flip open. the opening is big enough that bottle nozzle goes inside..this way you don't spill at all. Did it number of times already and it works. Speedmax solution looks sleeker with the valve but to your point it is hard to keep bottle still while pedaling and pushing the valve down at the same time to dispense the bottle
Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration and Canyon Speedmax [AlexB78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. I have the new speedmax and yup, I find installing it a pita. Also when filling, has to be installed correctly or won't fill...and filling on the go, not the easiest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is old thread but I still want to share my experience. Last year I looked to get new Speedmax CF SLX and after several delays in US I went with Scott Plasma 6 RC. Both have in frame integrated hydration. I used Scott at 3 Ironman races in 2021 and found its hydration being superior over Canyon bladder. Mainly install, cleaning procedure but also refill on the go. Scott has plastic mold resistant container easy to clean with bottle brush.. Also installing it is very easy rather than fiddling with bladder. Canyon told me that they expect riders to use bladder with water only. This is no for me. I cary nutritions on the bike and take water from aid station to drink and throw remaining bottle right away.
Also refill is easy on Scott as you lift the cap and opening is big enough to fit in bottle and squeeze without pressing down which is required for Canyon with the valve solution. Hard to keep pressed, while squeezing a bottle and riding at the same time...
Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration and Canyon Speedmax [RedRoar75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can't seem to get my bladder in all the way on it's own, top seems crushed for lack of a better way of putting it and thus water doesn't fill easily..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:

Jeroen

Patents expire.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration and Canyon Speedmax [TriNSki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find i need to push the metai part of the bladder down and under the lip of the hole. Once that's down, seems to fill ok
Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration and Canyon Speedmax [RedRoar75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bladder on my Speedmax works exceptionally well.

Very easy to refill and I'm only using it for water as that is my preference for nutrition. If you are refilling a BTA and adding nutrition to it, the integrated solution from Canyon will not work. Installing it/taking it out...not hard after the first couple of times learning how to do it properly.

As for cleaning, it's quite straightforward to clean. I have used denture tablets and espresso machine cleaner (citric acid) and rinse it well after and zero issues. You can also replace the bladder from time to time to keep things even fresher.

The benefits to me are:
I can keep a narrow position on my bars, see my Garmin very easily (largely hidden from the wind behind my hands but above my forearms, forward position so I don't have to look down.
Super easy to refill.
BIGGEST ADVANTAGE...no splashing! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcoviappiani wrote:
I know there's already a thread on the new Canyon Speedmax Disc but I wanted to direct the conversation to a specific topic: Between the Aerobars hydration, and specifically its absence, on the newly announced tri bike.

Until now, BTA (between the aerobars) hydration systems were sold as something that not only improved hydration but also carried real wattage gains and are something that top of the range triathlon bikes have had for years, whether they came with the bike or were added with retrofitting of aftermarket products.

Triathlon bikes sold with integrated BTA systems include the previous Canyon Speedmax, Scott Plasma, Giant Trinity Advanced, and more.
Even the new Scott Plasma 6 has kept an integrated BTA solution despite also having a "fuel cell".

Now, Canyon has decided to go a different way.

The new Canyon Speedmax Disc claims a 9W improvement over the Speedmax CF SLX. While the Speedmax CF SLX (rim brakes) has an integrated BTA solution, the new Disc versions (CFR and CF SLX variation) cannot support a BTA solution at all and only allows the use of the integrated "fuel cell".

I'm curious then why is that so? Why did Canyon decide to create something that cannot use such a common solution?
Were the speed gains not that big after all?

I'm looking to hear people's thoughts on the above.

This a solution for my lowly CF... but this gem of a step-up has been absolutely perfect for me:

https://www.stealth-parts.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have Scott Plasma 6 and refilling while riding was never the issue. i was able to dispense whole bottle while moving. On other hand I did hear Canyon bleeder is harder to refill, it backs up the air etc...
Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration and Canyon Speedmax [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of race you do, water is not nutrition, whether you like it or not.
As for cleaning, can you see inside the bleeder, any mold and gunk developing in corners.. i bet they do...
Quote Reply