Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Wales 2021? [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chances of ‘22 going ahead then? Last years deferral was inevitable, this years decision was simply lame.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales 2021? [Trog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2022 will happen.

As for 2021 being cancelled I think it was inevitable. Ironman UK was successfully held in Bolton, but that is a town that no-one visits unless they have to. The extra folk coming in for the Ironman is a 'one off'.

I was in Tenby back in July. It's a small town, narrow streets and many pinch points with 'social distance' virtually impossible for an IM event.

But I was also struck that the town is creaking. With no international travel, it's been inundated since the first lift of restrictions - described locally as 'An Easter weekend.....that hasn't yet ended'. Relentless crowds every day, with no respite (as millions of folk are on furlough and not working so can go any time). Great for the local economy, but when you are tentatively emerging from a long lockdown quite overwhelming. They've had spikes and surges of infections resulting from this continuous stream of huge numbers of visitors.

The Ironman happens on the second week of September because traditional tourist season ends a week earlier, and IM fills up the town one last time. By this September they will be on fumes, desperate for things to quieten down and not 'needing' that last extra weekend for revenue.

As a town that embraces the ridiculous circus that IM like no other, I'll give them this year and look forward to their unforgettable support in a future year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales 2021? [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
2022 will happen.

As for 2021 being cancelled I think it was inevitable. Ironman UK was successfully held in Bolton, but that is a town that no-one visits unless they have to. The extra folk coming in for the Ironman is a 'one off'.

I was in Tenby back in July. It's a small town, narrow streets and many pinch points with 'social distance' virtually impossible for an IM event.

But I was also struck that the town is creaking. With no international travel, it's been inundated since the first lift of restrictions - described locally as 'An Easter weekend.....that hasn't yet ended'. Relentless crowds every day, with no respite (as millions of folk are on furlough and not working so can go any time). Great for the local economy, but when you are tentatively emerging from a long lockdown quite overwhelming. They've had spikes and surges of infections resulting from this continuous stream of huge numbers of visitors.

The Ironman happens on the second week of September because traditional tourist season ends a week earlier, and IM fills up the town one last time. By this September they will be on fumes, desperate for things to quieten down and not 'needing' that last extra weekend for revenue.

As a town that embraces the ridiculous circus that IM like no other, I'll give them this year and look forward to their unforgettable support in a future year.

With 2022 being filled by those who were supposed to race in 2020, there is probably little to no chance a few entries might be available. I was considering registering for 2022 but probably can't now. Anyone have the inside scoop on if there might be room in 2022? I guess it's a "wait and see" type situation.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales 2021? [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve done it 5 times, did not enter 2020 and was also hoping for a 2022 place (and thus 2021 to happen).

I’d have serious doubts they will open it up again; not many will choose to race elsewhere if offered as there was a mighty fight to get a 2020 place. It really is the crown jewel of UK racing and nothing else is remotely tempting in comparison.

I’ve entered IM UK Bolton instead.

(But will keep an eye out….)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
I’ve done it 5 times, did not enter 2020 and was also hoping for a 2022 place (and thus 2021 to happen).

I’d have serious doubts they will open it up again; not many will choose to race elsewhere if offered as there was a mighty fight to get a 2020 place. It really is the crown jewel of UK racing and nothing else is remotely tempting in comparison.

I’ve entered IM UK Bolton instead.

(But will keep an eye out….)

Yeah I remember it filled up immediately and so glad we had gotten in! I guess I'll have to wait until 2023. It's the one Ironman I don't want to miss out on before I retire from Ironmans.

ETA: now I wish I hadn't transferred to a US Ironman. I didn't think it would be canceled twice. Oh well....

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Jul 29, 21 6:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm up for the Outlaw again in 2022.
Yes it's an easier course than Wales, no doubt about that.
But I'm spending my ££ where its wanted and with an independent company thst has put athletes 1st every time and always sorts problems if they arise. Rather than one that grabs the ££ then flicks 2 fingers when they don't deliver.
Come to the enlightened side of long distance races. You won't regret it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next