Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman offering refunds for Tremblant events.. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Serious question. Why would you quit the sport just because races are not going on?

Has more to do with my disdain for swimming and newfound love of mtb/backpacking than the lack of races. IMMT was always going to be my last hurrah and I figured signing up would boost me back into training but that hasn't really happened. I'm just disappointed when I have to do a trainer/road ride instead of going to ride mtb. Then getting a swimming lane at the YMCA has been almost as hard as scoring limited concert tickets. Just not worth the effort.

devashish_paul wrote:
This question is obviously loaded and directed to more people than you. There is another great side of the sport that exists without events...just training to exercise and push ones own physical limits (like those people who go to the gym and lift, but never go into competitions). Its a great sport with or without competitions.

It was an experience and largely there are some great communities of triathletes but there's a huge portion of "type A uber competitive" people that aren't really the type of people I like to hang with. Nothing personal, just not my personality.

devashish_paul wrote:
I am actually hoping that this pandemic gets people into the sport who just got active doing the sport individual components outside because their usual forms or exercise were locked up. These people are exercising for health and well being, not for competition. I think those new entrants when we have racing (or not) will be a great addition.

Totally. The bike sales are a huge boon, that's how I found myself in the sport with a slight running background but almost all cycling. Hopefully the age demographics swing lower because as a 29 year old I felt like a baby at races most starting lines.

devashish_paul wrote:
I am not disparaging people doing this sport only for racing (I have done 31 Ironmans myself so I totally get the attraction of the races), but it would be great if we can get more people excited about just going out to swim, ride, run for health and exercise first rather than any particular finish line.

By and large triathlon is a solo sport. I don't really want to subject myself to another 10-15 hour/week winter training indoors anymore. I have a home gym to lift and will run down in the 20's until snow hits outdoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman offering refunds for Tremblant events.. [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The vaccine news - its great, but it is going to take a lot longer than June before it is widely distributed and taking effect, but I hope I am wrong

Generally with regards to "larger" ( say more than 500 - 1000 entrants), for any triathlon, running or cycling races/events next year, right now - no one knows what exactly will be going on! Race Directors and Event Management Companies, are all in a VERY precarious situation right now. There world depends on some key certainties - I will be putting on a race/event for X-number of people on Y-date, and right now, for 2021, it's complete uncertainty!

Already a whole slew of major running races, in the U.S. and Canada right on up to the Boston Marathon, have cancelled or postponed their races/events from the first half of next year!

I agree with you about the vaccine - while the news of this week is VERY good, this will really have more of an impact on 2022 than 2021!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman offering refunds for Tremblant events.. [cassinonorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You first reply was "all wrong".

In the sense that if you disdain swimming, then why do the sport and by extension, why do triathlon? We are not pros, and have to do something we dislike. If you disdain swimming, I would question why you were bothering with triathlon anyway. Or maybe it is a choice of words.

Maybe you just don't like that in swimming you put effort in and get almost no improvement which is totally different from running and biking where largely the more you train, the faster you get. Swimming is a bit like tennis. Everyone sucks at tennis when they first try it, and no amount of randomly bashing at tennis balls gets you good. There are 100's of small skills in tennis that you gradually get better and better at while practicing a zillion times to get near perfect (and likely never there). I am sure Roger Federer and Michael Phelps can point out 50 things that they believe they suck at.

So the only way in these skill sports to enjoy them is enjoy the process of acquiring the skill. Once you have the skill, you have it for life. But unlike the bike where its brain dead hammering, most of the enjoyment in swimming has to come from the process of acquiring skill, not by seeming times move on the clock (the latter is a certain exercise in frustration).

In terms of the type of people in the sport, if there is competition be it in running, baseball, football, triathon, tennis, there will be some super competitive people. That goes with the territory, but there are 90% of the field doing this for self improvement and the journey. There are lots of people to pick who you want to hang out with.

And why do you "have to do a trainer/road ride" instead of going for a mountain bike ride. I have done some of my best triathlon with a ton of mountain bike riding. Who says you "have to"? If you think you "have to" do any particular workout, then you have it backwards. You should go do the workouts you want to do. Again, we're not pros, so why bother doing stuff we don't want to do.

Its all stupid stuff from coaches making people feel they "have" to do any particular workout. Just go out and exercise. I can guarantee, that the person doing 10 hrs of random training per week will have a better half Ironman than the person doing 5 hrs per week and the person doing 15 hrs will do better than the 10 hrs person. The key is have fun and if you do more, regardless of what specific workouts, generally results will follow.

I did a full Ironman in South Africa, where my longest ride was 90 minutes on the trainer and longest run was 90 minutes. I was XC skiing, speedskating, swimming and just doing short intense trainer rides and lots of short runs for overall run volume. I had several 20 hrs weeks doing anything BUT specific triathlon training. On race week when I got to South Africa from Canada in march, I did two super easy rides of 3 hrs and 4hrs (like 130-140W average), just touring around, stopping for lunch etc etc. Race day came around and I had super solid day. I came top 10 in my age group, or "general training". It is amazing how far general training can get you. Specific tri workouts are actually most beneficial the shorter the race (like sprint and olympic). The longer the race, as long as you have total hrs and sufficient running weekly mileage, this will trump anything specific.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman offering refunds for Tremblant events.. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

In the sense that if you disdain swimming, then why do the sport and by extension, why do triathlon? We are not pros, and have to do something we dislike. If you disdain swimming, I would question why you were bothering with triathlon anyway. Or maybe it is a choice of words.

Well that's why I quit. Now I don't hate swimming. I find it tedious. I do hate the extra time getting ready, going to the pool, the monotony, etc. Largely those aren't factors in cycling and running. I got into the sport because I wanted to race bikes mostly and swimming just was a part of it. I really didn't even know du's existed. That's probably where I'm headed most likely.

devashish_paul wrote:
Maybe you just don't like that in swimming you put effort in and get almost no improvement which is totally different from running and biking where largely the more you train, the faster you get. Swimming is a bit like tennis. Everyone sucks at tennis when they first try it, and no amount of randomly bashing at tennis balls gets you good. There are 100's of small skills in tennis that you gradually get better and better at while practicing a zillion times to get near perfect (and likely never there). I am sure Roger Federer and Michael Phelps can point out 50 things that they believe they suck at.

So the only way in these skill sports to enjoy them is enjoy the process of acquiring the skill. Once you have the skill, you have it for life. But unlike the bike where its brain dead hammering, most of the enjoyment in swimming has to come from the process of acquiring skill, not by seeming times move on the clock (the latter is a certain exercise in frustration).

I was OK at best at swimming at my best. Which is fine. Still felt it was monotonous as hell. I don't like treadmills, trainers or pools. Unfortunately 95% of my training has to be in a pool.

devashish_paul wrote:
In terms of the type of people in the sport, if there is competition be it in running, baseball, football, triathon, tennis, there will be some super competitive people. That goes with the territory, but there are 90% of the field doing this for self improvement and the journey. There are lots of people to pick who you want to hang out with.

For sure. There's a very high percentage of them in triathlon though which is pretty evident on here or r/triathlon. The community for other sports like mtb is wayyyy more welcoming and chill than the cutthroat nature of triathlon. Are there super nice people in triathlon? No doubt.

devashish_paul wrote:
And why do you "have to do a trainer/road ride" instead of going for a mountain bike ride. I have done some of my best triathlon with a ton of mountain bike riding. Who says you "have to"? If you think you "have to" do any particular workout, then you have it backwards. You should go do the workouts you want to do. Again, we're not pros, so why bother doing stuff we don't want to do.

Its all stupid stuff from coaches making people feel they "have" to do any particular workout. Just go out and exercise. I can guarantee, that the person doing 10 hrs of random training per week will have a better half Ironman than the person doing 5 hrs per week and the person doing 15 hrs will do better than the 10 hrs person. The key is have fun and if you do more, regardless of what specific workouts, generally results will follow.

Fair. But I like the freedom of doing whatever on my mountain bike. Sessioning a feature to clean it a few times, doing a drop a few times. Most of the time it isn't the best training. I'd just rather do what I want and get some exercise than stick to an IM plan.

devashish_paul wrote:
I did a full Ironman in South Africa, where my longest ride was 90 minutes on the trainer and longest run was 90 minutes. I was XC skiing, speedskating, swimming and just doing short intense trainer rides and lots of short runs for overall run volume. I had several 20 hrs weeks doing anything BUT specific triathlon training. On race week when I got to South Africa from Canada in march, I did two super easy rides of 3 hrs and 4hrs (like 130-140W average), just touring around, stopping for lunch etc etc. Race day came around and I had super solid day. I came top 10 in my age group, or "general training". It is amazing how far general training can get you. Specific tri workouts are actually most beneficial the shorter the race (like sprint and olympic). The longer the race, as long as you have total hrs and sufficient running weekly mileage, this will trump anything specific.

Interesting. Pretty cool stuff. I could probably manage that, but I think I'd just rather have my money back and invest in some backpacking gear.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman offering refunds for Tremblant events.. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is zero chance of a 3,000 athlete race going off in Quebec in June. And definitely not one with a large number of out of country athletes. Zero. I'm guessing they are trying to get the numbers down 50% or more on the off chance it happens at all.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman offering refunds for Tremblant events.. [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
There is zero chance of a 3,000 athlete race going off in Quebec in June. And definitely not one with a large number of out of country athletes. Zero. I'm guessing they are trying to get the numbers down 50% or more on the off chance it happens at all.

ITU WCS Montreal is on the agenda for 24-27 June the weekend after IM 70.3 Tremblan in 2021. Definitely a lot of internationals in that, and probably more athletes overall that 70.3 Tremblant.

Probably both are on, or neither happens. Fingers crossed that some version of both can happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the new covid forecast numbers released yesterday, expect restrictions to continue a whole lot longer, not to mention much tighter.

If even a fraction of those forecasts start ramping, then we ain’t seen nothing yet over here...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman offering refunds for Tremblant events.. [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I am registered for IMMT. I haven't received that email.

I still haven't received the email. My brother is also registered for the race and he got the email. He called me asking what we wanted to do. <shrugs>

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Not normally one to jump into other people’s conversations but feel compelled to here.

One person’s rejection of something they no longer have an affinity for isn’t a rejection of what someone else deems important.

People move on. Once the love is gone, it’s not about rationalizing why they should stay another day, it’s about respecting their right to continue on their own journey.

That’s all. Over and out.
Last edited by: insulinpower: Nov 20, 20 8:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
I am registered for IMMT. I haven't received that email.

I still haven't received the email. My brother is also registered for the race and he got the email. He called me asking what we wanted to do. <shrugs>

Unless Tremblant decides to give up the IM races entirely, the 70.3 will return eventually, and when it does, it will be sold out without having to offer any new registration. Unless you are really needing your $350 back, I'd leave it and know that you have an entry waiting. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$350?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
$350?

Sorry, was thinking 70.3. But I guess I'd still say the same thing, if you don't need the 750 or whatever back right away and really want to do the race when it is available.....
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman offering refunds for Tremblant events.. [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:

I've wondered if Penticton will follow soon. Was signed up for 2020 and deferred to 2021, but frankly, I'm starting to think the chances that Canada lets us travel there in August is already very questionable. As much as I want to race Penticton, if they offered a chance at a refund I would probably take it at this point just due to the uncertainty.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman offering refunds for Tremblant events.. [HoustonAg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I decided to withdraw from the 70.3 and the full IM. This summer I have scheduling issues that would have made it hard for me to pull both races off. The offer of a refund sealed the decision for me. I completed the form before the deadline and waited.

Today the cheque arrived. For $154.50 Canadian. For both races. Not a full refund. Not even close.
I went back and looked at the email and the message from Active. All correspondence used the phrase : “refund of entry fees.”
Maybe I was incredibly naive thinking they were going to refund the full entry cost, but the messaging really made it look that way. Based on the discussion on this thread, I’m guessing I’m not the only one that was fooled.
I didn’t really blame Ironman for deferring races to 2021 from 2020. Lots of people were pissed off, but I was willing to cut them some slack. This on the other hand... now I’m mad! Having a choice, I would have forgone refunds and tried to at least do one race.
Just wondering if anyone else withdrew and you were surprised by the partial amount. I’m planning to write and request a reversal. I’ll probably be out of luck, but I want to do something...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman offering refunds for Tremblant events.. [Hulashark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hulashark wrote:
So I decided to withdraw from the 70.3 and the full IM. This summer I have scheduling issues that would have made it hard for me to pull both races off. The offer of a refund sealed the decision for me. I completed the form before the deadline and waited.

Today the cheque arrived. For $154.50 Canadian. For both races. Not a full refund. Not even close.
I went back and looked at the email and the message from Active. All correspondence used the phrase : “refund of entry fees.”
Maybe I was incredibly naïve thinking they were going to refund the full entry cost, but the messaging really made it look that way. Based on the discussion on this thread, I’m guessing I’m not the only one that was fooled.
I didn’t really blame Ironman for deferring races to 2021 from 2020. Lots of people were pissed off, but I was willing to cut them some slack. This on the other hand... now I’m mad! Having a choice, I would have forgone refunds and tried to at least do one race.
Just wondering if anyone else withdrew and you were surprised by the partial amount. I’m planning to write and request a reversal. I’ll probably be out of luck, but I want to do something...

The $150 refund is the standard stated policy if you request a refund, but that's different from what happened at Mont Tremblant. They offered everyone the option to receive a FULL refund in effort to reduce numbers since Quebec won't give them a permit for the normal race size and (this is speculation only) to resolve the class action lawsuit that was filed against them. My question stems from those circumstances and to whether or not Penticton will follow Mont Tremblant's lead on the full refund offer to get race numbers down. I can't imagine British Columbia is going to be willing to give out permits for a full size race.
Last edited by: HoustonAg: Jan 6, 21 12:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We (relay team) withdrew from IM70.3 Tremblant and received a full refund earlier this week.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman offering refunds for Tremblant events.. [WHITEJM74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WHITEJM74 wrote:
We (relay team) withdrew from IM70.3 Tremblant and received a full refund earlier this week.

That's good to know. Did they send you a cheque?
I'm wondering if it was a clerical mistake that caused them to send me cheques of $77.25 for each race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, check received for the full amount from Ironman Canada to our team captain.
Last edited by: WHITEJM74: Jan 6, 21 12:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I (thought) I had deferred my 70.3 2020 entry to 2021. Had the receipt for it. Then got a check from them a couple of weeks ago for the full refund. I double checked my emails and I had a receipt for both the deferral entry and then a deferral refund. Not sure how that happened, but chalked it up to "happy clicking" and the confusion of emails in French and English. At first I was disappointed, as this is one of my bucket list races, but then relieved, as I think the likelihood that the race will actually happen for someone coming from the US and can't quarantine in Canada for 2 weeks is pretty small. There's now a thread about this on the Facebook page for the race and seems like I'm not the only one who experienced this. Someone suggested to check your Active account to see if it has you as registered, which indicated I am. It sounds like there is a lot of confusion around registration with this race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman offering refunds for Tremblant events.. [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyla wrote:
I (thought) I had deferred my 70.3 2020 entry to 2021. Had the receipt for it. Then got a check from them a couple of weeks ago for the full refund. I double checked my emails and I had a receipt for both the deferral entry and then a deferral refund. Not sure how that happened, but chalked it up to "happy clicking" and the confusion of emails in French and English. At first I was disappointed, as this is one of my bucket list races, but then relieved, as I think the likelihood that the race will actually happen for someone coming from the US and can't quarantine in Canada for 2 weeks is pretty small. There's now a thread about this on the Facebook page for the race and seems like I'm not the only one who experienced this. Someone suggested to check your Active account to see if it has you as registered, which indicated I am. It sounds like there is a lot of confusion around registration with this race.

Similar situation for me being in Atlantic Canada.
1. I seriously doubt either of these races will actually happen in 2021. Certainly not the 70.3 in June.
2. IF either of them did happen, I probably can't go because I live in Atlantic Canada where we have a covid 'bubble'. The powers that be have stated that the bubble will not be removed until approx 70% of population here are vaccinated, which they are hoping for by September.....prob take longer though. Meaning if we leave the maritimes, we have to quarantine for 2 weeks upon return. Don't think the wife will approve of me throwing her and the kids into a 2 week quarantine so dad can do a race...

I did not ask for a refund though, as I am hoping I'll just be deferred to 2022....
Quote Reply

Prev Next