Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help me understand why you’d want a “Multisport” watch [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
offpiste.reese wrote:
Some of us don't have a couple thousand dollars to drop on a device for each sport. Plus, as someone else mentioned, I do things other than SBR. I XC, roller and downhill ski, paddleboard and so on. My only device for quite some time was a Garmin 310xt.

This makes zero sense. Multisport watches are generally about as much as a running watch and cycling computer combined. A Multisport watch isn’t the budget option 😂

I thought you were trolling at first, but I believe you are serious now.

I don’t think however you are trying to see things from others’ POVs. For YOU it might be the cheapest option. Really, since all you want it for is cycling and running, you can find something like the Forerunner 35 that does both used for under $100. But people on here are listing a huge range of activities beyond biking and running. For that a single watch like my used Fenix 5 certainly could be the cheaper option.

It only makes zero sense if you’re just thinking from your POV.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand why you’d want a “Multisport” watch [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
triguy86 wrote:
offpiste.reese wrote:
Some of us don't have a couple thousand dollars to drop on a device for each sport. Plus, as someone else mentioned, I do things other than SBR. I XC, roller and downhill ski, paddleboard and so on. My only device for quite some time was a Garmin 310xt.

This makes zero sense. Multisport watches are generally about as much as a running watch and cycling computer combined. A Multisport watch isn’t the budget option 😂

I thought you were trolling at first, but I believe you are serious now.

I don’t think however you are trying to see things from others’ POVs. For YOU it might be the cheapest option. Really, since all you want it for is cycling and running, you can find something like the Forerunner 35 that does both used for under $100. But people on here are listing a huge range of activities beyond biking and running. For that a single watch like my used Fenix 5 certainly could be the cheaper option.

It only makes zero sense if you’re just thinking from your POV.

The “couple thousand dollars” for each discipline actually does make zero sense. From any POV. And how am I not “trying to see other points of view”? I said I understand now why someone would want one. So you can record a race on 1 device. Pretty much all other features can be had on running watches. Geez chill.
Last edited by: triguy86: Nov 19, 20 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand why you’d want a “Multisport” watch [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we’re talking past each other at this point. I agree that thousands seems high, although I don’t know what different gear they need.

Saying most features beyond recording a race can be had on other watches isn’t accurate, but it does sound like you have a sense of what meets your needs, which is good.

(And yes, to the hardcore folks, nobody “needs” a fancy GPS watch. Dave Scott didn’t need a fancy watch to win all those Konas. Billy Mills didn’t need one, Joan Benoit didn’t need one, etc. But boy are they nice!)

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
....how am I not “trying to see other points of view”? I said I understand now why someone would want one. So you can record a race on 1 device. Pretty much all other features can be had on running watches....
Running watches typically don't have barometers which allow you get a much more accurate idea of climb rate and altitude than GPS. Do running watches typically support cycling power data? - they may, I honestly don't know.
Last time I looked, which was admittedly a while back, running watches were not all rated for immersion and did not support swim metrics for either indoor or outdoor swimming. And that's just a couple of items off the top of my head, from triathlon alone. You started this thread saying you saw no logic in multisport watches and have now conceded that they may have a point for race recording, but now you're making more similarly unconsidered assertions like you're just trying to be disagreeable. Help me understand why you'd start a thread arguing there's no point to multisport watches without having given the subject any consideration? There's a myriad reasons, you just may have to accept they may not apply to you personally. Is it really that hard?
Quote Reply

Prev Next