Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Long and Low Tri-Bikes [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this old thread because I really wanted to buy the speedmax cfr. I am currently on a p3x slammed and as long as I can make it. But i notice the speed max is shorter and higher, so I can't get it, bummer! Posting this in hopes somene wil say i read the charts wrong ...

knighty76 wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
Turns out there's not much out there for us anymore. Canyon was one of the long/low bikes but the new disc bike is not that.

Wow, I always thought the higher tier Canyon Speedmax was still long and low but your post made me go and have a look at the geo for the new models. They have followed everybody else into the sit up and beg with a basket full of groceries design. Sigh.

One small consolation - the listed pad reach is to the back of the pad and not the centre. But still..
Quote Reply
Re: Long and Low Tri-Bikes [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
Wow, I always thought the higher tier Canyon Speedmax was still long and low but your post made me go and have a look at the geo for the new models. They have followed everybody else into the sit up and beg with a basket full of groceries design. Sigh.

You may look into changing your posture. Lots of drop and "reaching" for the pads (pulling your shoulders down) isn't great for aero or comfort.

Something like this guy:

Or this one:

Quote Reply
Re: Long and Low Tri-Bikes [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your probably right. Those guys look so good. I need to spend a afternoon messing around. with my p3x I don’t feel that fast. My old shiv with Tri rig alpha was a better fit and was faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Long and Low Tri-Bikes [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to think I had abnormally long upper arms or something because I "needed" so much drop to get low. Nope! It's all posture. Move the shoulders up (forward) and in. Head down.
Quote Reply
Re: Long and Low Tri-Bikes [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a lot of new models out, what is the current go-to for long and low?

Looking for a 660 stack 604 center of pad reach bike that doesn’t need a 150mm stem to make it happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Long and Low Tri-Bikes [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOW2000 wrote:

Looking for a 660 stack 604 center of pad reach bike that doesn’t need a 150mm stem to make it happen.

you don't care about the stem length. you care about the front center. if you're that long in your position you want maybe 650mm or more. the 660mm stack is not hard to achieve. you'll want an XL in something. a speedmax would do it, or a QR in just about anything in the PR series in size 58.5.

the front center on a PR series bike is 665mm. the stack is 585mm (the stack is the size name), and getting a 660mm pad height from a 585mm stack isn't that hard. a PR4 disc uses a standard stem, so a standard -17° stem, slammed, on a standard aerobar, gets you a pad height of probably 675mm. you can drop the 15mm with either a Profile Design subsonic bar (or similar) or a down-angle stem.

in the next size down, the 56cm has a front center of almost 650mm, so, still pretty good. that one, with no changes other than (perhaps) a stem change from a 6° to a 17°, would get you to 650cm or 660mm in pad height. the PR4 sells new for $3,250. it might be right or it might be not enough horsepower. the QR guys are pretty good. they have a size guide for their bikes and if you want (say) electronic shifting, i'd just ask the how to get what the imperatives you need (including the front center). or ask it on any of our fit assistance threads (including the one for QR).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Long and Low Tri-Bikes [tridave101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'2" and my legs are longer than my torso and I have a large wing span. The bike that fit me is a Trek Speed Concept XL
Last edited by: Rideon77: Dec 27, 22 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: Long and Low Tri-Bikes [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
LOW2000 wrote:

you don't care about the stem length. you care about the front center. if you're that long in your position you want maybe 650mm or more. the 660mm stack is not hard to achieve. you'll want an XL in something. a speedmax would do it, or a QR in just about anything in the PR series in size 58.5.

the front center on a PR series bike is 665mm. the stack is 585mm (the stack is the size name), and getting a 660mm pad height from a 585mm stack isn't that hard. a PR4 disc uses a standard stem, so a standard -17° stem, slammed, on a standard aerobar, gets you a pad height of probably 675mm. you can drop the 15mm with either a Profile Design subsonic bar (or similar) or a down-angle stem.

in the next size down, the 56cm has a front center of almost 650mm, so, still pretty good. that one, with no changes other than (perhaps) a stem change from a 6° to a 17°, would get you to 650cm or 660mm in pad height. the PR4 sells new for $3,250. it might be right or it might be not enough horsepower. the QR guys are pretty good. they have a size guide for their bikes and if you want (say) electronic shifting, i'd just ask the how to get what the imperatives you need (including the front center). or ask it on any of our fit assistance threads (including the one for QR).

I *think* I understand the handling implications of front center measurements, but not the comment that stem length doesn't matter if its the only way I can get my elbows far enough forward to achieve my pad stack/reach numbers. I can see with a Vision Pro or a Subsonic that I can get the stack low enough, but with the Vision Pro for example on the V-PR i'm still 2cm short of my reach number, with the Profile Design offerings they appear to be another ~2cm further back than that.

Happy to move this to the QR fit thread if that's a more appropriate place to get a direct shopping list of components to achieve my desired numbers.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOW2000 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
LOW2000 wrote:

I *think* I understand the handling implications of front center measurements, but not the comment that stem length doesn't matter if its the only way I can get my elbows far enough forward to achieve my pad stack/reach numbers. I can see with a Vision Pro or a Subsonic that I can get the stack low enough, but with the Vision Pro for example on the V-PR i'm still 2cm short of my reach number, with the Profile Design offerings they appear to be another ~2cm further back than that.

Happy to move this to the QR fit thread if that's a more appropriate place to get a direct shopping list of components to achieve my desired numbers.

Thanks!

you can move it or leave it here. if you post to that thread you'll have some additional folks respond, notably the curator of that thread.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOW2000 wrote:

You don't need a low bike. The XL/61 of every brand will meet your stack requirements, as far as I can remember. That reach is something else though.

I'm at 652mm stack and 540 reach to BOP (about 585mm to pad center). That's with a Speedmax CF Disc XL and a Syntace Fltforce 111mm stem.

I think to get your reach numbers you'll need a Plasma 6 in XL. QR won't be long enough if you don't want a ridiculously long stem.
Quote Reply

Prev Next