Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quarq + Dub BB = rage?
Quote | Reply
I've got the adjustable preload spacer, a spring spacer, any plethora of spacers you could dream of for this thing.

I install it all up almost any way conceivable and the second you put even a hair of preload on it like you're supposed to, it seems the crank does not have that nice spin to it any longer.

If I put some pressure on my hand and spin it, sure it might not matter.

But, any Shimano BB/crank combo I own has always spun for ages without a chain on it.

What gives with this design? Do the DUB BB not "spin" like a Shimano crank when unloaded? You always hear about wheel bearings mattering with "load". But this just seems silly. It should be able to spin at least several revolutions with the proper preload.

Advice beyond the numerous youtube videos and instruction manuals?

I've ridden it like this for a while, but had a slow day to look at this since it always bothered me. I'm questioning if I'm throwing watts into the trash bin with this.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq + Dub BB = rage? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I've got the adjustable preload spacer, a spring spacer, any plethora of spacers you could dream of for this thing.

I install it all up almost any way conceivable and the second you put even a hair of preload on it like you're supposed to, it seems the crank does not have that nice spin to it any longer.

But, any Shimano BB/crank combo I own has always spun for ages without a chain on it.

What gives with this design? Do the DUB BB not "spin" like a Shimano crank when unloaded? You always hear about wheel bearings mattering with "load". But this just seems silly. It should be able to spin at least several revolutions with the proper preload.

I've ridden it like this for a while, but had a slow day to look at this since it always bothered me. I'm questioning if I'm throwing watts into the trash bin with this.

on a road bike?

When I installed mine, there's no wave spring spacer. just regular spacers, and the left side has a little collar to adjust the preload. back that right off, install, then tighten up a bit and tighten the little allen key.

I took the chain off yesterday to wax, gave it a spin and is spins "OK". I only have a few hours on it, and I expect the seals to break in a bit more. I have another bike with no chain, with the last generation of the Campy square taper BB's. that one spins forever.

The DUB spins about as well as my mountain bike with an external shimano BB.

All of mine are BSA bottom brackets. Do you have threaded or press fit?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq + Dub BB = rage? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

on a road bike?

When I installed mine, there's no wave spring spacer. just regular spacers, and the left side has a little collar to adjust the preload. back that right off, install, then tighten up a bit and tighten the little allen key.

I took the chain off yesterday to wax, gave it a spin and is spins "OK". I only have a few hours on it, and I expect the seals to break in a bit more. I have another bike with no chain, with the last generation of the Campy square taper BB's. that one spins forever.

The DUB spins about as well as my mountain bike with an external shimano BB.

All of mine are BSA bottom brackets. Do you have threaded or press fit?

I have:
-Quarq Dfour
-Q-rings aero 54T round ring 1x
-Carbon DUB cranks 165mm
-threaded DUB bottom bracket

I currently have the threaded BB installed with no spacers between the bearing and the bike's BB shell. I have the preload collar on the left side. I have one of the metal included spacers on the drive side, the ones that snap/fit into the bearing per the diagram.

I install it all with the preload collar loose, then I rotate it until I can no longer feel any play. Then tighten the locking allen bolt to hold it in place.

Sounds to me "it is how it is". Yours sounds like it spins like mine.

I guess my expectations versus other things I own is just off.

At least I know I'm doing this correctly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently installed a PF30 DUB BB. It did not spin very well at all, maybe just over a revolution. And I'm pretty sure I got the preload correct. I was tightening the adjuster until just after the point where there wasn't any play in the cranks.

I saw a recent build of a Cervelo Caledonia with Force AXS on .

Skip ahead to 5:22, where the mechanic installs the cranks. He was kind enough to give them a flick. They don't seem to spin very well on that bike either. I am guessing this is par for the course (or, I suppose, both of us are ignoramuses).
Last edited by: weiwentg: Nov 17, 20 14:14
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq + Dub BB = rage? [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weiwentg wrote:
I recently installed a PF30 DUB BB. It did not spin very well at all, maybe just over a revolution. And I'm pretty sure I got the preload correct. I was tightening the adjuster until just after the point where there wasn't any play in the cranks.

Skip ahead to 5:22, where the mechanic installs the cranks. He was kind enough to give them a flick. They don't seem to spin very well on that bike either. I am guessing this is par for the course (or, I suppose, both of us are ignoramuses).

Haha!

Yeah, mine spins exactly like that video. So, is what it is I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YESSSS.

Frankly, I'll extend that to ANYTHING with a 30mm/not 24mm Shimano spindle/bottom bracket.

It's infuriating and exasperating and just sucks so much.

When will Shimano just make a decent power meter. Pleaseeeee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
weiwentg wrote:

Haha!

Yeah, mine spins exactly like that video. So, is what it is I guess.
I don't have that exact combo so nothing really to add, but in general I find my cranks with preloaded BBs spin much more freely after one ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBInfinite!

https://youtu.be/Lc8Z7XwhHdI
Last edited by: trail: Nov 17, 20 16:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

just a follow up, I have 38,000 revolutions on the crankset now, according to the app, and it's spinning about 3x the number of revolutions as when it was first installed.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq + Dub BB = rage? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if it is a trainer only thing, but now the BB area has a nasty "higher power" creak. Everything is tight, checked it all.

I threw my lay susan riser block back on the front wheel and a couple used tires under the trainer legs to relieve a little stress, but it didn't help.

Lovely. Just lovely. I'll disassemble and check it all out............again........oh, and my Quarq now reads lower than my Kickr. Just like my Stages did. So, that needs some different firmware or factory spindown or something. I will get a bag of water to use the Quarq app to see what the torque reads though.

Fun stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Not sure if it is a trainer only thing, but now the BB area has a nasty "higher power" creak. Everything is tight, checked it all.

I threw my lay susan riser block back on the front wheel and a couple used tires under the trainer legs to relieve a little stress, but it didn't help.

Lovely. Just lovely. I'll disassemble and check it all out............again........oh, and my Quarq now reads lower than my Kickr. Just like my Stages did. So, that needs some different firmware or factory spindown or something. I will get a bag of water to use the Quarq app to see what the torque reads though.

Fun stuff.

I don’t think you’ve mentioned what frame you have, but I’ll second Trail’s BB Infinite recommendation. I’ve installed a lot of different pressfit and PF/screw together BB’s and finally went with the BB Infinite on a couple of recent builds with Quarq cranksets. Their DUB BB is very nice. The cartridge BB approach means these always spin well. I’m also convinced that the use of nylon bushings between the DUB spindle and inner bearing races alleviates some of the frequent creaking issues with BB30 style BB’s. Chris King used this approach for their PF30 BB’s and I had good luck with those too.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq + Dub BB = rage? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
I’m also convinced that the use of nylon bushings between the DUB spindle and inner bearing races alleviates some of the frequent creaking issues with BB30 style BB’s. Chris King used this approach for their PF30 BB’s and I had good luck with those too.

You're onto something. I need to check that. I may have forgotten to put the nylon thin bush between the drive side of the crank and the metal spacer that spaces the thing out from the bearing.

Good call!
Quote Reply