Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can't get comfortable on the saddle
Quote | Reply
I can't get comfortable in the saddle when riding on the trainer (outside as well). I'm currently using a ism PN3.0 saddle. It literally feels like I'm sitting on a rock the entire ride. My groin feels like it has constant pressure in the wrong places - I'm typically sore after rides and can't go much longer than 1 hour before it starts to really take my focus away from the ride. Throughout the entire ride I'm constantly moving around shifting positions to relieve the pain. I've tried lowering the saddle height which didn't seem to help much. I'm assuming I need to find a new saddle, but I don't have the money to buy one and find out it isn't any better. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?
Quote Reply
Re: Can't get comfortable on the saddle [kenykj49] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the split nose saddles, you can use zip ties to pull the rails together. Try that and see if it alleviates the pressure. That’s the cheapest and easiest option, other than hitting up a bike shop to see if they have a test saddle or two you can try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the EXT or the SRT from BiSaddle. You can change the width and shape, we have lots of succes with them. And they have a great return policy so if you find it nothing, you can send them back.

And they have a ST discount now i see on the forum page ;-)

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Last edited by: TRIPRO: Nov 16, 20 13:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has been mentioned by others (devashish paul) but first trying lowering your saddle. Not by a hair - significantly so, like 1cm or more for starters. You'd be surprised how much of a difference it can make.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried moving the saddle forward/backwards in addition to down?

I'm no fitter, but I have read enough info from quality fitters to know it is very likely your position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those ISM saddles need to be tilted down a little bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't get comfortable on the saddle [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a PN 2.0 after testing a couple seats out at my local shop, and enjoyed it but still had some challenges on longer rides. Following their Setup Guide helped me, as did posting a "fit critique" video here on SlowTwitch, where I got lots of good feedback on further changes that helped to dial in my overall bike fit as well as the seat.

Travis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the status of your ?
The saddle is one of the 3 contact points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Local bike or tri shop may have tester saddles.

Cobb saddles for the win. Much better than ISM, imho. (no affiliation)

https://speedandcomfort.com/collections/jcob-seats

The guy (John Cobb) is a genius.

PS. I second zip-tying rails of ISM's.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Last edited by: DrAlexHarrison: Nov 16, 20 13:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read the other replies hoping someone would just hit it for you. But all the answers are different and some don't think even read that you already lowered it.

Way more info is needed.

Is this a road or tri bike.

Seat ht drop to aero bar ht, or seat to hoods,

how far are the hoods from the saddle long reach or short.

Do you ride slow / low watts per kg and it is worse or better.

Do you slide forward or backwards on the saddle.

Do you find you sit on you testicles more then your tail bone.

If you ride outside is it better then indoors.

I have seen hundreds of different saddles with the same issue and the same saddle with different issues. It's you and it's fixable.

good luck

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stand up every 10 min for 30 seconds or so to relieve pressure. Just as you would outside

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Can't get comfortable on the saddle [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
This has been mentioned by others (devashish paul) but first trying lowering your saddle. Not by a hair - significantly so, like 1cm or more for starters. You'd be surprised how much of a difference it can make.

Hi, you beat me to it (haha). Generally if you get your saddle low enough you can sit on anything, unless it is too wide at the front (too wide at the back rarely seems to be a problem, but it can be too). It is possible the ISM is too wide at front, but once he lowers and tests he should know quickly. Too high saddle is like sitting on a bar stool that is high with feet dangling. With not enough pressure on the feet/pedals at the bottom of the pedal stroke and having to reach for the bottom with toes, the groin/crotch takes more load than it needs to. It is also why the easier you go, the more uncomfortable too high saddle positions get. When you are hammering the crotch literally becomes elevated off the saddle (not physically, just the force on the saddle drops).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode in the same position for years and years with no problems. I stopped riding for a bit while I trained for running events.

When I started riding again, I had serious pain in the butt.

I lowered the saddle height, slammed it back a good amount and that didn't help with comfort but it did with power.

I then *lowered* my bars significantly and the pain in the butt was gone. I think this changed the angle I sat on the saddle/ sit bones which also took some weight off my butt... and what a relief.....
Quote Reply
Re: Can't get comfortable on the saddle [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the suggestion to talk to the folks at Cobb (now Speed and Comfort). I could not get comfortable on 5 different saddles. talked to Cobb, they asked me to send a video to them. I did, and they quickly surmised that I needed a different category of saddle. for me, their suggestion was the Randee, and it worked. Right away. My point being, their time and evaluation was spot on. No affiliation with them, but I was very impressed. Hope this helps you find your saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you just recently start riding? It does take some time to get used to sitting on a bike seat for hours on end. If I don't ride for a few months, my butt is pretty sore after the first couple rides but my body adapts after a week or 2.

You probably need to pedal harder and put more weight on the pedals and less on the saddle. You also may need to adjust your position to put some more weight on your handlebars. Strengthening your core might help also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kenykj49 wrote:
I can't get comfortable in the saddle when riding on the trainer (outside as well). I'm currently using a ism PN3.0 saddle. It literally feels like I'm sitting on a rock the entire ride. My groin feels like it has constant pressure in the wrong places - I'm typically sore after rides and can't go much longer than 1 hour before it starts to really take my focus away from the ride. Throughout the entire ride I'm constantly moving around shifting positions to relieve the pain. I've tried lowering the saddle height which didn't seem to help much. I'm assuming I need to find a new saddle, but I don't have the money to buy one and find out it isn't any better. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

There is a correct way to sit on every saddle, and they're often different. Different positions will require different saddles, even for the same person.

First of all, some of the basics mentioned... lower your saddle, tilt your saddle down, and sit on the saddle with your pubic bones and soft tissue off the front.

Next, are you putting any weight on your front end? Doing so takes weight off your saddle, is often more aero, and helps with comfort.

Finally, have you tried other saddles? Try them all, with them oriented the right way and you sitting on them the right way, to find your personal saddle. There is no one saddle better than the other, no company better than the other. Try them all.

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply