Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Moving to SoCal - Where to Live? [Ben Rudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never lived there but visited plenty and have friends out there. Don't know what your scene is but in the LA area, Hermosa, Redondo, Manhattan are all cool neighborhoods. Farther south in San Diego you've got Pacific Beach, Laguna, and La Jolla that are all great spots. Good luck and hope you're getting a hefty salary, you're going to need it.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to SoCal - Where to Live? [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:
Never lived there but visited plenty and have friends out there. Don't know what your scene is but in the LA area, Hermosa, Redondo, Manhattan are all cool neighborhoods. Farther south in San Diego you've got Pacific Beach, Laguna, and La Jolla that are all great spots. Good luck and hope you're getting a hefty salary, you're going to need it.

All of those places would be a helluva commute to Fontucky.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to SoCal - Where to Live? [Pro_Sandbagger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The timing of that Phil Gaimon video could not have worked out better! Redlands definitely seems like a great town and a great option for me. Any idea what the social scene is like out there?

Canadian Professional Triathlete

Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to SoCal - Where to Live? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There definitely seems to be a price premium to live in Claremont vs. the surrounding areas. I would like to keep my accommodations ~$2000/mo, but I'm also willing to spend more if I think the lifestyle benefits merit it. I know first-hand how close proximity to good running routes, biking routes, pools, cafes, stores, etc. can greatly improve QoL. Ideally I can find a roommate and we can get a fantastic place and split it, but I really don't know anyone in the area and I don't think I want to roll the dice on a random roommate. By the looks of it, Claremont properties are about ~$400/mo more expensive than RC/Upland, but based on what I'm reading in this forum and elsewhere, that may well be worth it.

I think I am going to try and Airbnb/hotel for the first ~2 weeks and try to spend time in all the communities before making a final decision.

Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to SoCal - Where to Live? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll definitely give it a listen and throw in a few bucks. I'm a big fan of local radio! Thanks Ian.

Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont know about the social scene. There are a few bars in the downtown area. There is a university in the city, so there has to be something. I'm too antisocial to know anything about it.

Great running routes and hiking trails (to run). Also very near access to a porting of the paved Santa Ana River trail (dirt portion very near, too).

If you end up in the area, I can show you around trails or good riding routes. Can't show you social life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess my quest here is what kind of lifestyle amenities are you looking for. If you lived in say Upland you'd still have decent access to riding to Mt Baldy for instance.

Rancho has changed a lot since I grew up. In the 90s most of Rancho was sand and now it's just a further extension of Suburbia.

If you're wanting easy access to bars that have college age or grad school aged women Claremont is a spot. And it's not just one University, there are several but they're all geographically contiguous. Pools in SoCal is just something that's tough when it comes to lap swim. I would say link up with a Tri Club but the nearest seems to be Sierra Madre. And the nearest Master's Club is Arcadia with the Claremont Club being kaput. You might be able to do lap swim at Claremont McKenna?

Although there isn't much swimming. There are like 5 races held at Bonelli Park in San Dimas.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next