Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TriRig Omega One [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
BLD 25 wrote:
TriRig wrote:
Well your questions are primarily related to a test that TriRig didn't run, observe, or have any connection to. You may wish to pose these questions to Jim Manton of ero-sports.com, who ran the tests.

Regarding Omega One vs. Omega X, we can definitively say that Omega One is the fastest brake we have ever tested. We don't have a published graph, but suffice it to say, Omega One is faster.

Thanks. I realize you didn't conduct that test, but I figured the manufacturer might be able to speak of the benefits of either brake on a road bike. Do you have any thoughts from your tests?

thank you
Well, that's the whole point of an "independent" test. That means it WASN'T run by the people selling the product, or anyone with a financial interest in the product. It was independent. I didn't even know it existed until after Jim had published it.

Regarding what exact aerodynamic effect any given product will have on any particular and unique setup, that's impossible to speculate. That's exactly why we have testing in the first place; results aren't always predictable, so we run the test to gather the data. However, we do see across the board that Omega brakes have a substantial and measurable aerodynamic benefit compared to traditional brakes, and in fact any other brakes we have tested. So while we can't put an exact number on the drag savings you will achieve on your setup, we can confidently say that you *will* achieve a benefit. This will be true for aero frames and round-tube frames alike, regardless of geometry.

I hope that's helpful!
thanks, that was more helpful
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega One [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am following up to your post about your review on these brakes. I have a P3 with Ultegra brakes and am contemplating moving to these brakes. A LBS said that while these are much more aero than my Ultegra's, the Omega One's are not as stiff thus braking would not be as good.
Last edited by: DesertTriGuy: Feb 9, 21 14:14
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega One [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There aren't many situations where you need really strong brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega One [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DesertTriGuy wrote:
I am following up to your post about your review on these brakes. I have a P3 with Ultegra brakes and am contemplating moving to these brakes. A LBS said that while these are much more aero than my Ultegra's, the Omega One's are not as stiff thus braking would not be as good.
I would challenge this gentleman to prove that statement. Our brakes are as strong as anything out there. If properly installed, they will easily lock up a wheel in the dry or the wet, which is the maximum braking power achievable. And they offer excellent modulation meaning you can go to any point from min to max power with ease.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will have to agree on the quality of these brakes. Got them for my road bike and they work exactly like direct mount brakes.
I do quite a lot of rolling terrain so use them quite often.
Great modulation and stopping power and super friendly adjustment. They also look pretty neat.
I would say a bit on the pricy side but totally worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega One [Zakalunce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found one on Ebay basically brand new, so I took the chance. After reading more out there, the independent test at ERO(that has since been removed) would be wonderful if it was reality! 6w saving at 200w would be much more at 300w where most companies test their products.

Thankfully it sounds like it is also beautiful, lightweight, and provides good braking as well. If I net a handful of extra watts and get all those benefits as well, then that is golden.

Anyone had any first hand experience yet?
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega One [BLD 25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got two questions, somewhat related.

1. Obviously replacing your front brake with one of these is going to save some watts. Rear brake seems like less of a benefit. Is it mainly asthetics purposes to replacing both front and rear?
2. I have a 2015 cervelo s5, and the old omega was apparently a little tough to install in the rear on this particular frame. Any idea if the new one is easier and doesn't require any modificaiton to get it to snug up nice and tight to the frame? I'd love to throw these on both my Tri and Road bike, but 4 brakes is a bit steep. Wondering if i'd get 90% of the gains by getting two and putting them on the fronts of both bikes. I do think front and rear on my S5 would look sexy though.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega One [gregkeller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're right that most of the aero gains come from the front brake, but there are convenience and sometimes braking performance gains that come from the rear. Depends on what was on there before I'd say. Having the ability to adjust each pad width individually is huge, especially if you're often changing wheels.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega One [gregkeller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregkeller wrote:
I've got two questions, somewhat related.

1. Obviously replacing your front brake with one of these is going to save some watts. Rear brake seems like less of a benefit. Is it mainly asthetics purposes to replacing both front and rear?
2. I have a 2015 cervelo s5, and the old omega was apparently a little tough to install in the rear on this particular frame. Any idea if the new one is easier and doesn't require any modificaiton to get it to snug up nice and tight to the frame? I'd love to throw these on both my Tri and Road bike, but 4 brakes is a bit steep. Wondering if i'd get 90% of the gains by getting two and putting them on the fronts of both bikes. I do think front and rear on my S5 would look sexy though.
As Ben correctly stated above, while the aero gains will be less in back (usually estimate around 1/2 the savings of the front brake), there are still some good reasons to put one in back. The first are the functional reasons; our brakes are easier to use, maintain, and adjust. They may also improve your braking performance depending on what you're coming from. But another independent reason is to get *matching* performance, so that you don't have a significant difference between front and rear.

Regarding your second question, yes, Omega One is going to be a little easier to install snugly in the rear of an S5. This is because we both shortened the overall height of the brake, and also rounded the rear corner, to improve clearance in situations exactly like that on the S5.

So, I think there's still good reason to use front and rear in your case. Thanks!

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega One [TriRig] - brake levers [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello, before buying an Omega One I'm looking for advice on levers that work well with it. I was going to use Sram TT S500s til I saw in this thread that Sram's lever pull doesn't get best power/modulation out of the Omega. Are Shimano best option (unfortunately a lot more expensive) and/or any experience with TRP, Cane Creek, Vision levers? I saw 3T mentioned but don't see those available anywhere. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega One [TriRig] - brake levers [bikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got mine today and I look forward to installing it tomorrow. Hopefully, I have some news to report back here after I get a chance to try it a bit. I also hope there will be some more tests to verify the aerodynamics at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega One [TriRig] - brake levers [bikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our favorite levers are indeed the Shimano BL-TT78 (alloy) and BL-TT79 (carbon). Those are mechanical levers that work on any drivetrain and are fantastic stoppers. We have tried many brands, but those are by far the favorites. They pull more cable than most other levers, which gives you more room in your throw and more power per mm of grab.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anybody attempted to install these on an older model p3? I have a 2013 model and the rear brake doesn’t seem to fit properly. I saw on the website the p4 was incompatible with the rear brake, but it seemed as if the p3 would be. If anyone has had success I’d love to hear how you did it, otherwise a return may be in my future.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega One [BOPer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BOPer wrote:
Has anybody attempted to install these on an older model p3? I have a 2013 model and the rear brake doesn’t seem to fit properly. I saw on the website the p4 was incompatible with the rear brake, but it seemed as if the p3 would be. If anyone has had success I’d love to hear how you did it, otherwise a return may be in my future.

Last night i bumped into something similar to this but in my 2014 P3 (newer style). I think the process is the same for both. There seems to be a little bracket in the back with two holes. Take it off the bike by undoing the top screw then attach the brake to the bracket with the provided screw and reccessed nut. Fully tighten then attach the bracket to the rear of the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega One [BOPer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi BOPer,

As mentioned by the customer above, it’s definitely compatible. You need to remove the adapter, install the brake onto the adapter, and then install the assembly back onto the bike. If you’re having trouble on your own, consider taking it to a local bike shop.

--
TriRig.com
Last edited by: TriRig: Mar 9, 21 8:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That did the trick, thanks for the tip!
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega One [Feighathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do any of these Omega brakes fit the Shiv TT (2017)? Any estimates of to how much watts they save at ~30mph?
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega One [TTrider4921] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am bumping this back up after a couple months of riding. The brake is beautiful, and stopping power is good, even with carbon wheels. Lever feel is firm. The one disappointment I had was it being significantly heavier than I thought. Advertised at 142, and measured at 154. Tririg said it was no heavier than the Omega X, and bikeradar reviewed the omega X at 129g. Not a huge deal, but my SS EVO is a bit of a weight weenie bike.
Last edited by: BLD 25: May 6, 21 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega One [BLD 25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the re-design - has anyone been able to swap out the front brake on a Ventum One and use the Ventum fairing? (yes I know TriRig makes a aero cover).

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega One [TTrider4921] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TTrider4921 wrote:
Do any of these Omega brakes fit the Shiv TT (2017)? Any estimates of to how much watts they save at ~30mph?

If you're racing me, then no they don't fit. Just don't look at the two that I have mounted on my 2016 Shiv TT. I think they also feel better than the stock brakes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next