Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suggest a body weight scales?
Quote | Reply
My bathroom scales has stopped working.
Body composition scales are pretty cheap, so I may as well get one, although I don't put much faith in anything they might tell me besides my weight.
I'm undecided between just getting a simple digital balance with body composition analysis, from a reputable company, or something with WiFi/BT that will save me the effort of recording my weight manually. I was thinking maybe the Omron BF212 for the former option. Since I currently use Garmin Connect to track weight just to have everything in one place, the Garmin Index seems the obvious answer but it's rather expensive. Maybe the Withings/Nokia Body+ is a more sensible choice?

My first priority is precision, closely followed by accuracy. But price, ability to blend into a mostly white bathroom, and connectivity, are also considerations!

Ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a body weight scales? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Garmin Index has been great for me. It "just works" with Garmin Connect. And Garmin Connect has great connectivity with other services, like weight loss apps. The bodyfat %, while it has a probable ~4% bias for me (I don't think I'm really at 7% bodyfat right now), has correlated really well with Amazon Halo (which I'm trying out). They both report the same ~3% drop over ~10lbs. in weight loss.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 16, 20 7:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like having data easily in one place, then I would get a Garmin scale if you are generally committed to the Garmin ecosystem. Otherwise, I would get one of the inexpensive and highly regarded scales like the Greater Goods WiFi Smart Body Composition Scale or Eufy Smart Scale P1.

IME, WiFi is very important, more so than Bluetooth. With Bluetooth, you need to have your phone nearby to sync. But, WiFi will sync whenever you weigh, no matter what. Then, the ease of use of the app comes into play.

I have had a Fitbit Aria scale for a couple years, and I really like it. When I go into weight loss mode, its graphing and detail data charts are extremely helpful. My next scale will likely be the Garmin Index 2, because Fitbit does not talk to Apple Health; therefore my other apps that could use weight (Stryd, Garmin for w/kg, etc.) cannot get to my automatic Fitbit weight data. And, all of my fitness devices are Gamin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought about the Garmin option, just couldn't justify a $200 scale

Opted for the Fitbit Aria and it works great
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a Renpho from Amazon, $28. Provides a lot of info through the app...can't speak on its accuracy but, IIRC, reviews were pretty good.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Wyze scale is really awesome and $25

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Withings Body (not plus) and its been great. It has it's own app but I'm not sure if you can push the data to Garmin Connect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We use a cheap one from Target

It doesn't have to be super accurate for us; we're just measuring changes from day-to-day, week-to-week

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the Wyze scale for 20$ from Amazon. I don’t have any other scales to compare it to but it seems like it’s close to the weight I’d expect to see. It syncs via blue tooth and lets you program more than one person. The app is simple and has enough info to make me happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a RENPHO body fat scale from amazon. Comes in white, cheap (~$20), accurate (as far as I can tell). Will sync to google health, apple health, fitbit, but unfortunately, not directly to garmin (...so close to all your criteria). Still worth a look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the first gen Garmin Index scale, and it just works. It's able to differentiate between my wife and me, and it syncs every time.

The new one is $200, but you can get it for $150 if you have Humana for your medical insurance, through the Go365 program.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I've just ordered the Garmin S2 for €154, which does seem exorbitant given the price of the competition but I'd have to frequently transfer data manually to GarminConnect otherwise. WiFi versus BT is also a significant advantage as pointed out here, and some of the cheaper options don't provide that. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm stretching to justify the decision ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a body weight scales? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
I have a Withings Body (not plus) and its been great. It has it's own app but I'm not sure if you can push the data to Garmin Connect.

If you can link it to myfitnesspal, then you can link from there to Strava. I have a withings scale with this setup, but not sure about the model.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a body weight scales? [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomdefietsbom wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:

If you can link it to myfitnesspal, then you can link from there to Strava. I have a withings scale with this setup, but not sure about the model.

Free IFTTT account will also sync Withings to Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, the garmin index s2 seems the obvious option - thats what i thought too.

however the body composition on it is a complete joke - there are numerous threads on the garmin forums each with hundreds of users finding that the body composition is complete nonsense. garmin just close each thread down after a while, no indication they have any plans to change anything

as best anyone can figure, garmin basically just use population averages based on weight, height, age (heavy weighting despite not having any direct relationship to body composition) and activity level (minimal weighting despite having a strong relationship to body composition) to guess what your body composition might be. by doing that they can claim to be "on average" correct (since the data is all based on averages), despite having no idea what any given users body composition might actually be.

so yes, its really handy getting your weight direct into connect along with everything else but whether that is worth the price increase from a basic scale is up to you

withings seem to have the best reputation for meaningful body composition results
Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a body weight scales? [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is quite an old thread that someone appears to have revived and then deleted their postjust before you responded.
I've had the Garmin scales since late 2020. I'd agree the body composition data is garbage.
It's also annoyingly slow to reset, and I hate the kick it to wake it up thing, it's stupid, vague and annoying.
It should not need to be moved to activate.
It does weigh fine. It seems pretty consistent and repeatable as best I can estimate without doing any calibrations.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a body weight scales? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

I have had a Fitbit Aria scale for a couple years, and I really like it. When I go into weight loss mode, its graphing and detail data charts are extremely helpful. My next scale will likely be the Garmin Index 2, because Fitbit does not talk to Apple Health; therefore my other apps that could use weight (Stryd, Garmin for w/kg, etc.) cannot get to my automatic Fitbit weight data. And, all of my fitness devices are Gamin.

Just seeing this. I've had a fitbit aria since about 2013. Still going. And still brings my data automatically into Garmin Connect, Zwift (yes, no weight cheating here, updates to last weight every time I step on the scales) and Training Peaks.

I don't have applehealth (or any apple thing at all) so fully trust you on that lack of linkage.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a body weight scales? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a Renpho body fat smart scale for a bit more than a year now. It's been a very good purchase. It's 31 CAD on Amazon right now. You can connect the Renpho app to a fitbit account then fitbit to Zwift and MyFitnessPal and finally connect MyFitnessPal to Garmin Connect and you've got everything covered.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a body weight scales? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
I don't have applehealth (or any apple thing at all) so fully trust you on that lack of linkage.
Yep, Apple and Fitbit did their sabre rattling and refused to play. Lucky you on the Android side - Fitbit plays nice there.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a body weight scales? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:

You can. This is the scale our federation recommends. It also can connect to various health platforms, Cronometer, MyFitnessPal, Garmin, TrainingPeaks, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a body weight scales? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Withings here also. It works.

Just the one drawback of Zwift dropped them as an autolinking scale some time ago and now it's just the fitbit linkup method. So no more auto weight to Zwift if that's a "thing" for you.

Only thing, maybe not knowing as I'm ignorant, is my Withings seems to track some gycogen and water weight from training stress as muscle weight. I thought the water should show up as water, not muscle. But never fails, give it a rest day and piss out some of the water and the muscle weight goes down. I would have expected muscle mass and fat % to track slowly over weeks. Instead they don't. It's the muscle and the water flopping back and forth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
This is quite an old thread that someone appears to have revived ...

It's not THAT old [only 2 years]

The Fixie/Commuter Bike thread just popped back up after 7 years in The Tomb

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply