Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Single Sport Technologies and Features Made Popular First in Tri [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess the following could also be on the list although they were sometimes popular during an era.

- 3 to 5 spoke wheels
- beam bikes like zipp and softride
- low drop shoes like newton
- swimming tools like front snorkel
- swim trunks as a ‘run and bike’ apparel
- cut off and later just designed this way short singlets
- pyro plate pedal adapters
- velcro later to be replaced by boa closure systems on running shoes
- speedsuits with the complete zipper for the top which are now widely used in cycling as well

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Single Sport Technologies and Features Made Popular First in Tri [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
speedplay pedals
Quote Reply
Re: Single Sport Technologies and Features Made Popular First in Tri [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
What kind of a lame list is this. I see some major omissions!!!!

Some guy in California really launched these into triathlon and now they are mainstream in single sport:

• swimming wetsuits for open water mass participation races and cold water training
  • discrete time trial bikes (vs a road bike that you ride in the aero position)

Other than that, what about Chip Timing of endurance events versus the old number+notepad+stopwatch method?

To be fair, tt specific bikes were already pretty common among road racers, they just weren't designed around aerobars and the resulting position (since those hadn't been introduced yet). Aerobars (and later UCI regulations) changed what a TT specific bike looked like...

I was roughly referring to Dan inventing the original Quintana Roo swimming wetsuit and the Quintana Roo superform tri bike. If you go to any large mass participation open water swim event, everyone is wearing swim wetsuits, and if you go to any UCI Time trial. these are not road bikes with clip on bars, they are bikes designed around the aerobars working back to the rider and rear wheel. So maybe the aero position specific bicycle came from triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CO2 inflators.
Roadies all used to use frame pumps, now almost all throw a CO2 in their saddle bag or jersey pocket. Triathletes were the first to widely use these as their primary means of flat repair (though MTBers might also have a claim).

Jammers.
Triathletes were swimming in bike-short-length suits long before swimmers started using them.

OWS goggles
(Kayannes, Spec Ops, etc.)

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Single Sport Technologies and Features Made Popular First in Tri [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Over-(priced) sized jockey wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Some guy in California really launched these into triathlon and now they are mainstream in single sport:
  • swimming wetsuits for open water mass participation races and cold water training
Other than that, what about Chip Timing of endurance events versus the old number+notepad+stopwatch method?

these have to be undeniable cases of triathlon adoption concurrent with single sport obstinacy, followed by eventual single sport adoption. and it can't be triathlon adoption of a tech that only gained peripheral purchase in a single sport. that's why i didn't mention the wetsuit. i don't know how much penetration the wetsuit has made into pure open water swimming.

so, i wonder about electronics. and i don't know. power meters? but i think cyclists did adopt these alongside triathletes.

For wetsuits- I'd say that whilst the 'purists' (or stuck in the dark ages luddites) shun wetsuits in OW swimming, certainly in cooler and temperate climates (such as the UK) the availability of swimming wetsuits has had a huge beneficial effect on the rise in popularity of OW swimming. Go to any OW venue in the UK between May and September and 85% will be in a wetsuit. OW here is having a golden age. Not just Triathletes swimming but lots of swimmers swimming. And I'm sure most wouldn't be in the water if it wasn't for swimming wetsuits.
Quote Reply
Re: Single Sport Technologies and Features Made Popular First in Tri [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Slowman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

these have to be undeniable cases of triathlon adoption concurrent with single sport obstinacy, followed by eventual single sport adoption. and it can't be triathlon adoption of a tech that only gained peripheral purchase in a single sport. that's why i didn't mention the wetsuit. i don't know how much penetration the wetsuit has made into pure open water swimming.

so, i wonder about electronics. and i don't know. power meters? but i think cyclists did adopt these alongside triathletes.

For wetsuits- I'd say that whilst the 'purists' (or stuck in the dark ages luddites) shun wetsuits in OW swimming, certainly in cooler and temperate climates (such as the UK) the availability of swimming wetsuits has had a huge beneficial effect on the rise in popularity of OW swimming. Go to any OW venue in the UK between May and September and 85% will be in a wetsuit. OW here is having a golden age. Not just Triathletes swimming but lots of swimmers swimming. And I'm sure most wouldn't be in the water if it wasn't for swimming wetsuits.

Same thing here in Canada . All the open water races are majority wetsuit users and especially this year many life long pool swimmers buckled to no swimming during covid and got wetsuits in May and hit open water and loved it.

I would definitely say that Dan inventing wetsuits for swimming and specialized TT bikes around the aero bar resulted in single sport athlete adopting those pieces of equipment
Quote Reply
Re: Single Sport Technologies and Features Made Popular First in Tri [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Warbird wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

To be fair, tt specific bikes were already pretty common among road racers, they just weren't designed around aerobars and the resulting position (since those hadn't been introduced yet). Aerobars (and later UCI regulations) changed what a TT specific bike looked like...

I was roughly referring to Dan inventing the original Quintana Roo swimming wetsuit and the Quintana Roo superform tri bike. If you go to any large mass participation open water swim event, everyone is wearing swim wetsuits, and if you go to any UCI Time trial. these are not road bikes with clip on bars, they are bikes designed around the aerobars working back to the rider and rear wheel. So maybe the aero position specific bicycle came from triathlon.

The first aerobar specific position I ever saw was actually done by a cyclist, on an '80s TT bike (650c front wheel, pursuit bars, etc). One of my co-workers in '87 was a strong time trialist, and the only cyclist I knew at the time who thought aerobars were a valid concept. I was the only person he knew with any experience using them, and he wanted my help in getting his bike set up. We originally just set up his bike by clipping the bars on, but the position was too uncomfortable. He was too low, and his hip angle was way too tight. I suggested raising the stem, but he refused, not wanting to sit up any higher. He noticed that it felt a little better when he scooted forward on the saddle, so we first slammed the saddle forward, then we flipped the post around, and he was sitting on the nose. At that point the position was getting comfortable but the cockpit felt cramped, so we went to trying longer stems. In the end, we had a low yet reasonably comfortable aero position, much better than I had with the aerobars on my road bike. It looked pretty much like LeMond's '89 bike, except with the rider pushed farther forward. The only real problem was that having the weight shifted that far forward made the handling pretty twitchy. But comfort and efficiency wise this was a huge improvement over my existing position, so I took measurements from his bike and duplicated the position on mine. With a few minor tweaks over the years for injuries and shorter cranks, its essentially the same position I have today on my tri bike. When I first saw a QR a few years later, I thought "Duh! Of course!"

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Single Sport Technologies and Features Made Popular First in Tri [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Warbird wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

The first aerobar specific position I ever saw was actually done by a cyclist, on an '80s TT bike (650c front wheel, pursuit bars, etc). One of my co-workers in '87 was a strong time trialist, and the only cyclist I knew at the time who thought aerobars were a valid concept. I was the only person he knew with any experience using them, and he wanted my help in getting his bike set up. We originally just set up his bike by clipping the bars on, but the position was too uncomfortable. He was too low, and his hip angle was way too tight. I suggested raising the stem, but he refused, not wanting to sit up any higher. He noticed that it felt a little better when he scooted forward on the saddle, so we first slammed the saddle forward, then we flipped the post around, and he was sitting on the nose. At that point the position was getting comfortable but the cockpit felt cramped, so we went to trying longer stems. In the end, we had a low yet reasonably comfortable aero position, much better than I had with the aerobars on my road bike. It looked pretty much like LeMond's '89 bike, except with the rider pushed farther forward. The only real problem was that having the weight shifted that far forward made the handling pretty twitchy. But comfort and efficiency wise this was a huge improvement over my existing position, so I took measurements from his bike and duplicated the position on mine. With a few minor tweaks over the years for injuries and shorter cranks, its essentially the same position I have today on my tri bike. When I first saw a QR a few years later, I thought "Duh! Of course!"

This is the exact process all of us went thru after we saw Andrew McNaughton win the desert Princess Duathlon on Boone Lennon's Scott DH bars and for our own. I got my first set in 1987 and went thru your process and then saw slowman out a QR Superform under Ray Browning at IM New Zealand 1989. When we saw that bike it just made a ton of sense since by then most of us were riding reverse recumbants with all our weight on the front wheel with flipped seat posts and barely any weight on the back wheel.

Designing the bike around the aero bars and moving both sets of wheels forward relative to the arm cup made it viable to actually ride way forward without dying.

But that bike just solidified riding aerobars with a steep seat angle with more open hip angle (which most of us were self selecting anyway against all the roadie wisdom of further back being better). It took forever for roadies to realize the purpose built TT bike was the way to go. Remember when. Team CSC rode a Look Badged Cervelo P3 in the TDF around 2003. Next year CSC was riding Cervelo in the TdF.

Browning rode the Superform in March of 1989 at IM New Zealand. Lemond rode in a slack roadie position with aerobars clipped on for the TDF win in July 89. Lemond could still have open hip angle since he had the world's longest femur relative to tibia. For everyone else with even femur to tibia ratio you can't ride slack like Lemond . So you need the descendent of the Superform.
Quote Reply
Re: Single Sport Technologies and Features Made Popular First in Tri [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
and bar end shifter cyclecross
Cyclocross is probably the racing discipline where bar-end shifters had the longest run of dominance on drop handlebars. I'm not sure how strongly it can be claimed that that's where they were first popularized, though. Bar-end shifters entered road racing in the 1940s, and they were quite popular on road racing bikes through the Rik Van Looy era. In the 1970s, they gradually rose to become extremely dominant on touring bikes, especially in the form of the SunTour LD-1400 ratcheting shifter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't have anything else. The pasta party?
Quote Reply

Prev Next