Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 Wire Lengths
Quote | Reply
So I recently bought a Felt IA with a mechanical groupset on it and am going to upgrade to Di2 (obviously). And i've had Di2 before but I was not the one who had to decide the wire lengths, as they were already provided to me.

So what I am asking is, if you have any advice or knowledge:
Felt IA 56cm, I am trying to decide the correct wire lengths I will need.

Extension ends to Junction A 2x
Brake Shifters to Junction A 2x
Junction A to Junction B 1x
Junction B to Battery 1x
Junction B to FD 1x
Junction B to RD 1x

I want to buy this groupset now so I can just install it when I get to my bike. What length wires should I get? I would rather buy it now and get the deal I am after.

Thank you! :D
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Wire Lengths [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a fabric measuring tape with metric markings and measure it along the tubes. That’s what I did with my SC.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Wire Lengths [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you add any extra length to the measurements you took?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decide or determine where your junctions and batteries will be located on/in the frame. Then measure lengths from there. If you don't have one of those garmet measuring tapes an piece of rope/string will work too. I've got spare new take off shoe laces lying around from swapping to elastic laces. That works really well actually or something pretty long but not too thcik/thin to deal with.

When possible add an extra 5-10% length on top of your measurements (or go the next nearest size up). Its better to deal a cable thats a bit too long than too short. Otherwise your buying more cables and dealing with returning the lengths that don't work. If internally routed and intenral Junction B or internal battery you can always tuck the excess wire inside the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Measure and add a little bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim_corey_run wrote:
So I recently bought a Felt IA with a mechanical groupset on it and am going to upgrade to Di2 (obviously). And i've had Di2 before but I was not the one who had to decide the wire lengths, as they were already provided to me.

So what I am asking is, if you have any advice or knowledge:
Felt IA 56cm, I am trying to decide the correct wire lengths I will need.

Extension ends to Junction A 2x
Brake Shifters to Junction A 2x
Junction A to Junction B 1x
Junction B to Battery 1x
Junction B to FD 1x
Junction B to RD 1x

I want to buy this groupset now so I can just install it when I get to my bike. What length wires should I get? I would rather buy it now and get the deal I am after.

I just went through this. But two of all lengths and return the ones you don't need. I kept trying to buy specific lengths and after a week just bought all the wires. Used what I needed and returned the others.

Thank you! :D

Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Also, keep the previous cables in before routing the new ones? So i do not screw myself over?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vacuum cleaner and a piece of string will create a pull through for any type of cabling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your battery is going to be in ur seatpost you need extra length to remove ur seatpost. I’d just double it up.

Buy the park tool for di2 cabling. It’s worth it.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt bikes should have internal routing cable housing guides so I'd believe your for your new to you IA should also (my older Felt B12 did at least). To be safe I'd personally just chase the existing cable housing with the Di2 cables as they are being removed.

Don't know if this is the case with an IA but my Felt B12 cable shift housing entrances on the top tube were too small for the connector ends of Di2 wire. Had to bore the derailleur cable entry larger with a drill bit. But my bike is an older gen B12 that still rocks a threaded bottom bracket.

I also bought those Di2 frame grommets to help close up the cable entry/exit to help prevent movement along with some water ingress.

Recommend getting some of these too: https://g.co/kgs/94y23u
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here’s all the wire lengths is used for my 54 IA.
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e_Write-Up_P6572184/
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Wire Lengths [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome!

I have read your write up before, but noticed how you have quite a different setup, is this true compared to most builds?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lengths for the down tube and beyond are same for everyone. The lengths for the cockpit are specific to my setup. But those are also easy to self-measure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok! That helps me a lot. Do you still have that bike?

I appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano has some of the best manuals in the business. Refer to those. They have guidelines on how much length to add after you measure
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Wire Lengths [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'll look to find those!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made the routing tool in this video with an old cable and a ferrule. Just used this yesterday and it worked perfectly!

swim_corey_run wrote:
Thanks!
Also, keep the previous cables in before routing the new ones? So i do not screw myself over?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I still have the bike and I love it. I have upgraded everything, and several components twice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my last felt was amazing and it was just time for a new one, and i am buying all the components this time. So looking forward to it!
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Wire Lengths [khanlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw this video when i was researching! I am definitely going to try this trick. Glad to hear it works so well
Quote Reply