Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump's legal battles, the complete list [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No good place to post this, so thought I would drop it here.

Quote Reply
Re: Trump's legal battles, the complete list [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Thom wrote:
Not to worry, Trump has only the best on his legal team. The subpoenaed the wrong person and got trolled for it.

Interestingly, enough, he has worked for some very top-notch law firms so you would think he wouldn’t be such an F up on something like this.

Is it fair to infer then that this guy is soloing and does not have access to the firm's top-notch supporting legal staff? And, good lawyers, like most other professionals, are only as good as the people working in support?

It is very unlikely that his old firm would give him access to their support staff. They wouldn’t want the publicity of being connected to this case.

If you’re going solo and can’t afford a team of support staff with a broad range of specialized skills, you need to know what tasks to outsource. You can hire a private investigator to figure out which is the right Jeremy Rosenberg, and where he lives. I have no idea whether Todd Blanche did that and thus whether the fuck up was by an outsider or someone on Blanche’s team.

I would not say you’re only as good as your support staff. A lot of stuff you do yourself. The quality of a legal brief is largely a function of the chief writer. In the old days, you needed support staff to do the research and a lot of the drafting. With computerized research and writing, a lawyer can do a lot more on their own. But, for sure there are tons of tasks for which you are dependent on others. For example, if the other side produces a million documents, you’re reliant on more junior people to comb through them. If those people miss one of the needles in that haystack, you’re probably never going to know about that document.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's legal battles, the complete list [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Alan Weisselberg is heading back to Rikers Island to serve five months for perjury. He served 3 months last year for helping to orchestrate Trump’s tax fraud scheme.

Only the best people.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's legal battles, the complete list [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

Alan Weisselberg is heading back to Rikers Island to serve five months for perjury. He served 3 months last year for helping to orchestrate Trump’s tax fraud scheme.

Only the best people.

Nah. He showed what is actually required. A willingness to lie and cheat, and take the blame for the boss even if it means jail time. That is the only requirement, unless you are an attractive woman willing to put up with a handsy boss.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's legal battles, the complete list [Rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Summary from X yesterday…

TRUMP TODAY
Welcome to another edition of Trump Today. 10 items today:
1. The Trump NYC CRIMINAL TRIAL commences Monday with jury selection, after 10 SEPARATE ATTEMPTS to delay the proceedings were denied, denied, denied, denied, denied, denied, denied, denied, denied, and DENIED - respectively.
2. The NYC CRIMINAL COURT is ready. Prosecutors are ready. The media is ready. America is ready. The NYPD has said they're ready. A disgorged and gagged Donnie ... not as ready.
3. NYC CRIMINAL SIDE NOTE: As others point out, this moniker of "hush money trial" obfuscates what it REALLY is, which is election interference BY DONNIE, the Interferer-In-Chief; prosecutors will try to show THE 2016 ELECTION was the one effectively STOLLEN!
4. On ABORTION, Trump's comments on the recent ruling in Arizona are typically conflicting: he takes credit for overturning Roe but not blame; he refuses to support a federal ban even though that's what his loyal evangelical nutballs want; he wants abortion to be decided by the states, but says Arizona went too far. It's like seeing cognitive dissonance come alive!
5. More new POLLS came out, favorable to Biden. Can you guess who they were NOT favorable to?
6. On the LEGAL front, we earlier learned that the self-proclaimed "not smart" Alina Habba was fired by repeat Rikers resident Allen Weisselberg, and NOW we learn that Evan Corcoran is no longer on Trump's team at all, which certainly is interesting.
7. On the FINANCIAL front, that $175M BOND that Trump posted to avoid property seizures, is BOGUS. We learned it doesn't even guaranty payment on the judgment if the appeal is lost, which is sort of THE ENTIRETY OF WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO. Then we learn the nickname for the billionaire whose company underwrote it, is: "scumbag." Now we learn it's backed by some entity -- in the Cayman Islands!? (Tish James isn't going to sit for this. There's a hearing on it week after next - a guaranteed firestorm of a subject for a future edition of TRUMP TODAY.)
8. In other Trump FINANCIAL news - Truth Social, or - as Barry Diller would say - the scam invested in by dopes - is down another 4% today - although I've been typing this tweet for a bit, so it might be closer to 5%. We learned the Truth Social accountants, whose more prestigious clients include the Lingerie Fighting Championships, have a 100% deficiency rate on their audits. I think the SEC is salivating like Pavlov's dogs.
9. Moving from LEGAL/FINANCIAL to MENTAL - Trump blathered nonsensically yesterday, while leaning on a podium for dear life. His neurological decline is becoming increasingly evident. It must be THE topic of topics among his higher-up aides.
10. Moving from MENTAL to PHYSICAL - Trump looks terrible - lumpy and blotchy - and his bronzer color has inexplicably darkened; Lawrence O'Donnell suggested yesterday the jury will be staring at a mud-colored defendant.

On that colorful note - and as we like to say often here at TRUMP TODAY -- hey, the day is still young!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!

Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for doing God’s work and compiling this so we don’t have to go search.

But why is a German Christmas pastry/cake involved? STOLLEN 😁

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's legal battles, the complete list [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read an article that said Trump is planning to fire his lawyers on Monday morning in order to get a delay.

If it happens, can the judge appoint someone on the spot and move on?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's legal battles, the complete list [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
I read an article that said Trump is planning to fire his lawyers on Monday morning in order to get a delay.

So opined Joyce Vance (former US Attorney) on this very question:

Quote:
"What happens if Trump fires his lawyers? This can be a difficult one because defendants are entitled to counsel of their choosing, and lawyers are entitled to sufficient time to prepare. But Trump has a lot of lawyers on his team and the Judge has to be prepared for this one. Trump would have to argue a significant issue has developed with his lawyers before the Judge would agree to let them out of the case, and it's going to be difficult to do that with all of them. The Judge could tell him to go ahead with the remaining lawyers, because if Trump does this at the eleventh hour, it's going to look manufactured. But it's still an issue the Judge has to be careful about to avoid problems on appeal, and so far, Judge Merchan has shown himself to be a careful, meticulous jurist."

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's legal battles, the complete list [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

The judge probably can’t just appoint someone who has no background in the case. A former federal prosecutor told me today that the typical practice would be to tell the defendant to either use one of their other lawyers or represent yourself — assuming, of course, that the judge thinks there were not proper grounds for firing the lawyer.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's legal battles, the complete list [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

The judge probably can’t just appoint someone who has no background in the case. A former federal prosecutor told me today that the typical practice would be to tell the defendant to either use one of their other lawyers or represent yourself — assuming, of course, that the judge thinks there were not proper grounds for firing the lawyer.

Has there been anything that might constitute legitimate grounds for firing counsel and getting relief from the courts? What's the general standard, or can the defendant pretty much fire his lawyers whenever and for whatever reason he chooses? I mean, I know you can fire your lawyer, but there must be some standard for what would obligate the courts to give you more time or leeway in the process, otherwise people would just fire their lawyers one after another to continuously delay.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's legal battles, the complete list [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!

Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense!

I mean, if I were Chewwie, I’d totally live on Endor and be a furry god amongst furry critters….
Last edited by: JerseyBigfoot: Apr 13, 24 15:08
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's legal battles, the complete list [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
ike wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

Has there been anything that might constitute legitimate grounds for firing counsel and getting relief from the courts? What's the general standard, or can the defendant pretty much fire his lawyers whenever and for whatever reason he chooses? I mean, I know you can fire your lawyer, but there must be some standard for what would obligate the courts to give you more time or leeway in the process, otherwise people would just fire their lawyers one after another to continuously delay.

In a long-running case, where you have had ample opportunity to interact with your lawyer and see them in action, the judge likely would require some major new/unforseen development. You can’t just wait till the eve of trial to decide to dump your lawyer and demand a lengthy delay.

I am not aware of anything that would remotely meet that standard in Trump’s NY case. Maybe he could argue that the series of losses over the past week have caused a loss of confidence. But, you’d expect Judge Merchan to react that those losses were not a product of incompetent delivery of an otherwise viable argument. Rather, they were a result of a delay-at-all-costs strategy which no lawyer could successfully implement and which suggests a last minute firing, too, was about delay.
Quote Reply

Prev Next