Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New IMFL course?
Quote | Reply
Was looking for some reviews about the new Florida course, especially the swim around the piers? Any feedback by those who raced last Saturday and have done IMFL in previous years? thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: New IMFL course? [the professor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim is really no different than it used to be. It's just a longer run into T1.

The bike course is mostly unchanged. I was not a fan of the last stretch on 98 (panama city beach pkwy) as its heavy traffic and crappy roads.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New IMFL course? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How was the run? I really enjoyed running through the neighborhoods, interacting with people out grilling and keeping runners abreast of college football scores, and grabbing a beer from the patrons on the bar patio. I’m guessing it’s not quite as interesting now.
Quote Reply
Re: New IMFL course? [FFigawi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run course was ok, nothing great by any means, I think if not for Covid more people would be out and have more interactions past the first 4 miles or so. Agree with the swim and bike course comments above
Quote Reply
Re: New IMFL course? [FFigawi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was ok. I wasn't crazy about the old run course though. There was some decent crowd support out there this year but not as much as prior years (mostly due to covid and less racers imo). There were some sections of the course that was narrow and you had to navigate passing folks while not getting ran over by cars. They had police blocking traffic at big intersections but there were a few spots where cars were trying to pull in/out of condo's where there wasn't anyone there to direct traffic.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New IMFL course? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there this year because I deferred but could not get a refund on the AirBNB, so went down to check it out. The bike course seemed a little frightening. I was driving on one of the main roads with cars going 55-60 in both directions and the riders trying to stay in a shoulder that was less than one foot wide. This was later in the race and there were few riders, so I cannot say how the traffic flow was working when there were more riders on the course. Holding the lane would seem prudent. Safely passing would be impossible based on what I saw.

As for the run, I saw a number of near misses when frustrated drivers tried to pull out of hotels and other establishments on the run course. I also saw a number of people unwittingly driving in the lane closed for runners. I am sure the police did all they could, but the area is very congested and many of the people driving around the race were seemingly hostile to it. Obviously, that is a lot more avoidable for a runner, so vigilance is necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was an obnoxious drunk guy one mile out yelling at runners.
Quote Reply
Re: New IMFL course? [striket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there this past weekend as a swim support volunteer.

Swim course is awesome. When a "normal" year happens and they allow spectators on the pier thats going to be very cool, kinda like people on the blue bridge over the TN River in Chatty. Water was fairly calm for the pro's, but got really rough for the second loop of the age groupers. It was then back to calm for the 70.3.

Can't say anything about the remote parts of the bike course North on 79 bc I didn't get out that way, but the portion on US Hwy 98 headed West (around mile 100 full or 45 half) was not ideal. Cars were backed up for miles in both lanes because of the intersection at FrontBeachRd and Publix,, and athletes had to pass all the stopped cars in a not so great bike lane, I saw some close calls as drivers were not being patient.

I know it's tough bc there are only three roads that get in/out of PCB, so there's going to be race traffic intersecting road traffic. The police were doing a great job keeping it flowing as best as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this race in 2012 and this year

Swim was the same, ocean is the ocean, I agree with the comment that in a normal year when the spectators are able to be on the pier to watch the swim start it will be a great vantage point and atmosphere.

The bike is about the same. I remember a section of very crappy bumpy road from 2012 and that seemed to be fixed. I ride on crummy roads for most training so I am used to the rough surface. I would say about 30% of this course was bumpy. The section between 100-106 was pretty crappy, a lot of turns, going through parking lots and basically junk miles to get in the distance.

I loved the run course, but I also had one of those "lightning in a bottle" runs were I felt great the whole run. It seemed to change scenery every 2 miles with beachfront, hotels, and some slight turns. The crowd support was great considering the circumstances. It was congested on the second loop especially on return leg and there were cars just on the other side of the cones but I never flet unsafe. I liked the every 2 mile aid stations and the self serve approach, I had no idea how much more fluid you actually get by picking up the cups rather than grabbing them out of someone's hand and spilling half the fluid.

The best change was the new location. There is so much more to do on that end of PCB. I remember in 2012, the area was sleepy, and a lot of places were closed. This new area has many restaurants and a very nice open air mall with a Ferris wheel. There was a dog beach close by. This finish line will be great when people are allowed to spectate again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim was a pretty standard ocean swim rectangle shape. You go past the end of the pier for quite a bit. I found the longest part though, was the first turn to the second turn. On the way back its pretty easy to spot the Ferris wheel to use for sighting. They still had the water set up between each lap.

As others have mentioned the bike course that they added is a bit sketchy as its open to cars and more traffic than the old course in those areas. Id say most were riding on the shoulder but if you needed to pass you were in traffic so you had to be careful. Same flatness and same fast course.

The run course going in I thought id like it more as it was an out and back two times, but it also made it hard to space out mentally id say. The turn around is a little jenky as you weave through a little area before turning around. Hopefully aid stations next year will be a little closer.

Overall great course and not too different than normal but a few changes.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11645943 https://www.instagram.com/timeforicecream/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding the swim...

Around the pier was great I like being able to sight off the pier (not a bonus if you're a left side only breather)

Transition is loong but I don't think it was as long as when we were in Haines City. I did like running through the Pier Park entrance and same at the turnaround during the run. Some good crowd mojo around there.

As mentioned on the bike that section on 98 West to the backdoor grocery run sucks.

A positive on the bike was that we didn't have to ride from Sunnyside all the way to the Boardwalk Resort

I like either run
Quote Reply