Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am hopeful most of them can happen. I raced AZ 70.3 and was very impressed with all the work IM put in to keeping everyone spread out and safe. It will of course depend on local governments. I'm signed up for Oceanside 70.3 and I'd give it 50/50 chance now. I'm pretty confident my other two spring races- St George 70.3 and IMCDA will happen. Will depend on how their numbers are doing, vaccine roll outs, and how bad they want the revenue. Ironman has proven they can do a lot to make the race atmosphere very safe, especially being an outdoor event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything in what you would call the Mass Participation Endurance Sports Race/Event space, I would say, is 50/50 at best for next year. The short answer is - no one really knows what will be going on 1 month from now, let alone 6 months or more out!

Don't get too pumped up about the vaccine roll-outs (according to latest news - expected to start next April) - that will be slow, and VERY limited for the first little while. That's really something for 2022!

A number of larger U.S. and Canadian winter and early season running races, from Jan 1 - April, have already, cancelled, gone-virtual or postponed. The Boston Marathon, postponed again from it's traditional late April date in 2021 to an as yet to be determined date in the fall of next year! That should tell you something right there!

A lot of this is going to depend on what local municipalities, and State/Provincial Gov'ts will let you do. I know in Canada, right now it is the time that all running, cycling and triathlon races/events are applying for their permits for next year, and the word back from Gov't authorities is, "Absolutely no way"!!

I wish that I had better news! :-(

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
blueapplepaste wrote:
timr wrote:
Pfizer has released that the vaccine is 90% effective and will be available by December. It will be used on critical patients first then move to general public.

The Pfizer announcement got me super stoked. It also bodes well for the other vaccines since they’re all targeting the same area of the Pfizer one.

However, they’re only anticipating 50M doses globally this year. Which means 25M people vaccinated.

It’s going to be a logistical nightmare. Especially for the ones that require deep cold storage. I don’t expect the general public to start getting vaccinated until Q2 at earliest. And if it’s a two dose vaccine, then it’s at least a month before you may be immune.

I don’t think any normalcy returns until Q3 into Q4 next year. Though I’d love to be wrong and eat a bunch of crow.

That being said. Every vaccinated person is a broken link in the chain of transmission. So I expect things to improve greatly once the vaccine does roll out.

Which means I suspect there will be plenty of racing in the US in 2021. I personally will be signing up for races starting in May.
As I understand it the Pfizer announcement does not include any detailed information on expected duration of immunity among other things, presumably because they don't have it. If they do it's bad news as already having that information would suggest the duration is rather short.

It's way too early to be getting too excited about a vaccine as the magic bullet to solve everything. There's a long way to go yet.
I'm not trying to quench any hope, just suggesting we keep our expectations realistic. I remember discussions on this forum back around February to March when plenty people were assuming it would all blow over by summer.... I'll stand by the responses I gave then.

Well they don’t have duration because they’re only into a month or two past the second dose in the pivotal trials. So don’t take the lack of data as lack of effect or lack or duration.

Early studies of recovered patients suggest we can mount a response 6+ months after the disease. Even well after antibodies have dissipated. And it’s possible the vaccines will elicit an even more robust immune response than natural infection. Time will tell here.

I agree it’s not a magic bullet. I’m convinced this will become endemic.

But even if the duration is just 6 months, that’s a lot of immune people once distribution is ramped up. It will only help things.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [CamCom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
especially being an outdoor event.

This to me is actually key.

Our races/events are outdoors, we know that transmission in an outdoor environment is VERY low, like close to zero!

Yet Endurance Sports Races are getting lumped in with all kinds of other "Events Businesses" indoors and out, when really the line of division should be Indoors vs Outdoors - because they are COMPLETELY different.

So far most Gov't have used a sledge-hammer approach to shutdowns, when, a much more surgical approach would be better - close the things down where their are tangible transmission numbers, and allow those with very low transmission rates or none, with proper protocols in place, to operate! You CAN put a running, cycling or triathlon race/event on right now safely for about 1000 participants with proper before and after COVID19 protocols in place. But Gov'ts in many places are saying, "absolutely not"!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
especially being an outdoor event.

This to me is actually key.

Our races/events are outdoors, we know that transmission in an outdoor environment is VERY low, like close to zero!

Yet Endurance Sports Races are getting lumped in with all kinds of other "Events Businesses" indoors and out, when really the line of division should be Indoors vs Outdoors - because they are COMPLETELY different.

So far most Gov't have used a sledge-hammer approach to shutdowns, when, a much more surgical approach would be better - close the things down where their are tangible transmission numbers, and allow those with very low transmission rates or none, with proper protocols in place, to operate! You CAN put a running, cycling or triathlon race/event on right now safely for about 1000 participants with proper before and after COVID19 protocols in place. But Gov'ts in many places are saying, "absolutely not"!

The issue is things like transition. Volunteers. Waiting for swim to start. People traveling. It’s certainly somewhat lower risk than an indoor NBA game.

But the risk isn’t zero. And with how things are going I think holding a triathlon right now is irresponsible at best.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Worth noting that Pfizer have sold doses from their first production to other nations. So the 25M vaccinated people are not going to be 25M Americans...
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think truly big city or big field US running races probably will not return with a large field until Disney or Miami in Jan 2022. I don't think you bucket ironman races in with those. The actual course density and staging area density is much lower on a 70.3 or 140.6.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct.

But I think they’ve said they can have 1.2B made in 2021. And if Moderna, Oxford, and J&J pan out, then we could have several viable options. So certainly none of us will be getting it anytime soon, but fingers crossed there is light at the end of the tunnel and it’s not a mirage.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fletch_boy wrote:
It is intriguing watching events taking place in the US with 120K cases a day.

It was 140,000 cases yesterday in the U.S. Texas is breaking the record everyday and we are about to hit 1 million cases.
I'm not sure if Gov. Abbott is going to do something about that or not.
If so, Texas 70.3 might not happen. It's on 11/22 and timing is pretty bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
And if it wasn't made in jest, how would I know the difference?
There's no figuring out to be done on my part. You said what you meant or you didn't. Your signature line doesn't come into it.
I don't frequent the LR and it would seem I'm not the only one who misinterpreted your hilarious comment.

If you have to explain it, it's not funny......

I find people being triggered pretty funny.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I don't really know what that means. Must be a cultural thing.
Can you explain please?
Last edited by: Ai_1: Nov 11, 20 16:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:

Can you explain please?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Triggered [definition 3].

People responding and arguing over a low effort shitpost was just amusing.
Last edited by: aravilare: Nov 11, 20 17:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even if the races happen, how many will be duathlons instead of triathlons ? Not sure if there's any increased risk from the swim compared to other sports, but is the swim happening in all current races?

I'm mostly concerned with IM 70.3 Virginia Blue Ridge. The swim was already a special use permit in a reservoir that supplies drinking water. Would be surprised if they allow a number of out-of-town athletes to swim in it. Bad optics if nothing else.

tricalculator.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [mlbTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At most venues, the last thing to worry about is the actual course being an issue (whether it is something on the swim, the bike, or the run). The issue is size and density of events and municipality where they happen and if race directors think they can make money off low volume of racers. Eventually races just go away because it is too much headache to put them on wiht Covid19 restrictiions and dancing within the laws to figure out how to put on a profitable race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Parkland wrote:
Afg53 wrote:
They are mostly sold out. So we are talking 2000+ people. Can these realistically happen in may or June?

I think races will have a solid game plan in place by then, or at least I hope so. If they don’t, it’s a poor reflection on their ability to adapt and adjust.

Since race directors cannot control or accurately predict the Covid-19 situation next year, with respect to infection figures, or restrictions/regulations that may be in place, the best they will be able to do is plan to implement controls and make contingency plans. Good planning and adaptation requires recognition of reality and one's ability to influence it.

Parkland wrote:
...Races are happening and have been happening for a couple months around me here in Georgia, despite the media predictions. Race directors sat down and came up with plans and are implementing them well. The local tri club just released their 2021 triathlon race schedule as well as partner running company releasing road races.

It’s time to come out of the shadows and get back to living.

Given the extremely high rate at which Covid-19 is currently spreading in the US, it seems an odd time to be suggesting people are being too cautious, if I understand your tone correctly?

I can manage just fine without conventional races for another season if it's warranted, and it may well be.

I can understand the precarious situation race directors are in; however, races are happening in 2020 despite what a lot of people on this forum predicted. Apparently, race directors and communities have learned how to get things going. I’m simply saying that Ironman should be able to get a consistent game plan together for the 2021 races, maybe some race locations tell them to pound sand, maybe not.

As far as suggesting people are too cautious, that’s up to the individual. I’m young and healthy so I don’t worry so much. You may be older and have more concern, that’s fine, but don’t ask me to have the same fear as you. I do feel that lockdowns are generally a bad thing because in a country as big and diverse as the US, it’s not going to be effective. Basically we half assed it and suffered needlessly without making a big impact. 14 days to give hospitals and medical folks (I am one) time to prepare was cool, but after that was an ineffective display of half assery.

Life is all about risk, I’m comfortable going out and living my life. I get tested once a week due to my profession, I work with covid patients directly and intimately and I have seen the effects of it, as well as the effects of diminishing health from the lockdowns in the general population.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
Pfizer has released that the vaccine is 90% effective and will be available by December. It will be used on critical patients first then move to general public.

Pfizer’s statement was early release to critical patients HOPEFULLY by end of year, and release to general public HOPEFULLY by summer 2021. This is all contingent on it passing several non yet done steps and tests, and of course FDA approval, AND a solution is needed for the transportation and storage of a vaccine that is required to remain at -94 F!
The test result was very important and promising, but I would caution projecting any specific dates until testing is fully completed and successful and approvals are in hand :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Afg53 wrote:
They are mostly sold out. So we are talking 2000+ people. Can these realistically happen in may or June?

I think you are misleading yourself on numbers.

To the extent I have had contact from race promoters about events for next year where my entry was automatically rolled over to next year, several are saying next years event is already sold out. But they are also saying the capacity they are planning for next year is about half of what they would previously have.

So yes, I think a lot of these events can realistically happen (though far from a sure thing), but if they do happen, the "sold out" numbers will not be what were previously "sold out" numbers.

This is also the silver lining for anyone who grumbled about events being cancelled this year and being automatically rolled over to next year instead of a refund. I think for a lot of events that actually happen next year, almost nobody is going to get in who didn't already have a deferred entry from this year. This was actually a motivation to me to sign up for some events I expected to be cancelled this year, to make sure I would definitely be in if the event was held in 2021.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JFC. I got it. I think I may be the only one that did.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Can you explain please?

So don't engage with you further? Got it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
aravilare wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Can you explain please?

So don't engage with you further? Got it

But you did have to get your own low effort shitpost in at the end. :)
Last edited by: aravilare: Nov 12, 20 2:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will race 2 70.3 races in 2020.

I see no reason why my 5 scheduled races will not go in 2021
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [jimmy d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimmy d wrote:
JFC. I got it. I think I may be the only one that did.

A little late to the party, eh?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Wondering if I'll get my 2020 Traverse City deferral options anytime soon...I bet I don't get that race credit until 2022 at this point!

Seriously. Wondering if/when we will ever have options for Traverse City. Zero communication
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3’s are mostly sold out. Will they happen? [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
I will race 2 70.3 races in 2020.

I see no reason why my 5 scheduled races will not go in 2021
My two 70.3 races in 2020 were both cancelled (in TX no less).

Deferred to 2021, but I can see some reasons why they won't happen then. But here's hoping!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply

Prev Next