Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tell us your favorite cycling gear for cycling in 35-50F temps with wind (but no snow/ice!)
Quote | Reply
Tell us your favorite cycling gear for cycling in 35-50F temps with wind (but no snow/ice!)

Quote Reply
Re: Tell us your favorite cycling gear for cycling in 35-50F temps with wind (but no snow/ice!) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my Castelli Perfetto long sleeve. It’s basically a long sleeve gabba. It has two zip vents on the front that help me from getting clammy/wet underneath from sweat. It’s also an excellent jersey for rain. It’s a good do-it-all jersey for that temp range.

The fit/cut is good for racing in inclement weather.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell us your favorite cycling gear for cycling in 35-50F temps with wind (but no snow/ice!) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

I really like the Rapha puffy vest. Don't recall the name but it feels like a comforter and is very warm for a vest so I only need a long sleeve jersey and/or arm warmers. I'm not a huge fan of winter cycling jackes. I'd rather have a really good vest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what a good thread idea. nice job.

I have a castelli perfetto short sleeve which I like - it's very versatile. on its own, comfortable probably from 45 to 60 ish depending on wind/sun, with arm warmers and/or base layer, it can handle down to low 40s i'd say. i somewhat regret not getting a long sleeve, but i do like the short sleeve in the spring/warmer fall rides.

Honestly my favorite piece of cold weather kit is a very plain and unexiting long sleeve thermal bontrager jersey i got on ebay for $20 bucks.

Merino wool socks. I have a couple different pairs with different thicknesses to combat different temperature levels. below 50 and I generally wear toe covers with thicker socks, and below 35 I generally put in some toe warmers (but ironically using my thinner socks, so there's room in my shoes).
Quote Reply
Re: Tell us your favorite cycling gear for cycling in 35-50F temps with wind (but no snow/ice!) [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
what a good thread idea. nice job.

I have a castelli perfetto short sleeve which I like - it's very versatile. on its own, comfortable probably from 45 to 60 ish depending on wind/sun, with arm warmers and/or base layer, it can handle down to low 40s i'd say. i somewhat regret not getting a long sleeve, but i do like the short sleeve in the spring/warmer fall rides.

Honestly my favorite piece of cold weather kit is a very plain and unexiting long sleeve thermal bontrager jersey i got on ebay for $20 bucks.

Merino wool socks. I have a couple different pairs with different thicknesses to combat different temperature levels. below 50 and I generally wear toe covers with thicker socks, and below 35 I generally put in some toe warmers (but ironically using my thinner socks, so there's room in my shoes).

What do you find so good about merino socks in particular?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have become obsessed with Cafe du Cyclist clothing over the last year. Everything I have bought has been great. It’s definitely not cheap but I love it.

I saw a pair of the Adele Thermal Bib shorts on sale in my size so I bought them. I didn’t quite get the idea of thermal bib shorts vs bib tights but they are by far my favorites. Super comfortable. Keep me warm without getting hot and I can throw knee or leg warmers if needed. I found that I can wear them 40+ before I need either of those.

I also picked up their Solange Gravel Jersey and it’s good from 40-50 before getting too warm.
Last edited by: TOTRI: Nov 9, 20 13:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marmot evolution gloves with cheap wool liners.
Castelli Gabba3 top with castelli arm warmers.
Sandwich bags over toes in shoes.
Merino beany inside helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell us your favorite cycling gear for cycling in 35-50F temps with wind (but no snow/ice!) [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with you on the premise of a thermal vest vs jacket. I couldn't stomach spending almost $200 for the Rapha cycling vest though. I highly recommend the Galibier thermal vest for $65. Fits nice with a cycling cut, has a back pocket and use synthetic insulation.

Castelli- Gabba
Bontrager- Velocis Thermal Long Sleeve Jersey
The Black Bibs- Thermal Bibs
DeFeet- Woolie Boolie Socks
Galibier- Izoard Quilted Gilet
Galibier- Barrier Base Layer
Last edited by: BKyle: Nov 9, 20 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Better at regulating temperature, wicking sweat, antimicrobial (don't stink!), More durable/don't stretch. Google the benefits, others can describe it way better than I.

For cycling in particular, it allows me to wear a sock that isn't mega-thick, therefore shoes still fit while keeping feet warmer in cooler weather. I love how they don't smell, as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell us your favorite cycling gear for cycling in 35-50F temps with wind (but no snow/ice!) [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Better at regulating temperature, wicking sweat, antimicrobial (don't stink!), More durable/don't stretch. Google the benefits, others can describe it way better than I.

For cycling in particular, it allows me to wear a sock that isn't mega-thick, therefore shoes still fit while keeping feet warmer in cooler weather. I love how they don't smell, as well.

I think I'll get some!

Last question - do they shrink in the dryer like most wool? That would be a dealbreaker for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Layered. Arm/leg warmers. Light vest. Light wind shell. Windproof shoe coverings. Full-finger gloves.

If on the colder end, thermal vest and skull cap with ear coverings.

Layers are good so you can take them on/off easily. I prefer the above to, say, full thermal bibs. Which if you start to overheat or they get wet from sweat can be a pretty big burden.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not in my experience. Both pairs in my rotation are older than I can remember, I use them extensively for running and riding in winter, and they are good as new, basically.

Mine are pearl izumi and smart wool. There's lots of brands but I can vouch for those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good pair of Knee Warmers and Arm Warmers. Almost every apparel maker has them. They are just simple tubes of fabric, but I do particularly like the Pearl Izumi Knee Warmers and Arm Warmers. They are just the right weight and have great range.

Another staple is a good wind vest - wind proof in the front and well vented in the back. Again - everyone has one in their line. Fit is key.

I'm pretty lean and I'm usually reaching for the Arm Warmers when it get's much below 20C and the Knee Warmers when it's 18C or cooler.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the coldest feet in the world! So I am in shoe covers even in the 50's. Only need knit gloves (Defeet wool) all the way down to the 40's. But my feet? Ugh!

For me it's all about wool socks: Defeet Woolie Boolie hands down! But also love the Wigwam Wool/Silk combo. As warm as the Defeet but less bulk. Have ridden in soaking rain mid 50's with shoe covers and wool/silk no problem. Wool reacts to wet, so even after the rain gets in from the ankle and the sock is wet, my feet aren't cold.

If there is a hint of wet, or it's upper 40's, I'm in a boot; Lake CX145.

Below that, i also have Lake CXZ303.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I almost have close to no specific cycling gear for those temperatures, but ride often from mid march to end of april, and then from sept till the snow cover is too thick out here.

Under 45-50 F, here's what I use:
Feet: Neoprene shoe covers, and wool socks.
Legs: Cross country ski pants over regular bibs.
Body: 2 or 3 underlayers, cross country ski jacket, and cycling vest on top (for back pockets)
Hands: Either an old (and thin) pair of Louis Garneau XC ski gloves, or new cross country Sportful subzero gloves.
Head: Thin tuque that covers ears under helmet
And a beanie around the neck. PLus normal glasses.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Tell us your favorite cycling gear for cycling in 35-50F temps with wind (but no snow/ice!) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
A good pair of Knee Warmers and Arm Warmers. Almost every apparel maker has them. They are just simple tubes of fabric, but I do particularly like the Pearl Izumi Knee Warmers and Arm Warmers. They are just the right weight and have great range.

Another staple is a good wind vest - wind proof in the front and well vented in the back. Again - everyone has one in their line. Fit is key.

I'm pretty lean and I'm usually reaching for the Arm Warmers when it get's much below 20C and the Knee Warmers when it's 18C or cooler.

No full-armed jackets for you in 40F? Just the arm warmers + short sleeves?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My hands get cold pretty easily.

50F - Giro Ambient II gloves. The yellow ones provide a nice splash of visibility.

35F - Pearl Izumi AmFib gloves. Inexpensive but warm, and available in yellow too.

And if you ever try riding in sub-30F temps - Pearl Izumi AmFib lobster gloves. Add a thin liner as necessary.

In addition, I always go with a Craft neck gaiter any time its below 50F. It makes a big difference in staying comfy warm, and it's easy to remove and stuff in a pocket if it gets warmer.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell us your favorite cycling gear for cycling in 35-50F temps with wind (but no snow/ice!) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Layered. Arm/leg warmers. Light vest. Light wind shell. Windproof shoe coverings. Full-finger gloves.

If on the colder end, thermal vest and skull cap with ear coverings.

Layers are good so you can take them on/off easily. I prefer the above to, say, full thermal bibs. Which if you start to overheat or they get wet from sweat can be a pretty big burden.

I second this. Fleece-lined arm and leg warmers, a base layer under your jersey, and a wind vest. A heavier/thermal wind vest for temps under 40. I am in VA and we have lots of riding that may start in the 30s then warm up to 40s or 50s, so the ability to take off a layer is helpful. If it is under 30F I am just not riding outside so no need for a full jacket.

Also, a selection of shoe covers, and light to heavy gloves is essential.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started wearing these many years ago when I did a lot of XC ski training / racing, and they are still my favorite for almost all winter outdoor activities - they are a hybrid glove / mitten - half finger gloves with mitten flaps over them. Several vendors make them, if you search for 'hybrid glove mitten'. My hands would get too cold in gloves and be ok in mittens, but having to completely take off mittens because I didn't have manual dexterity for brief periods when I needed it didn't work well either.

Both of these are even more true when cycling when I have less blood flow though my hands.
One such example:
https://www.amazon.com/...Mitten/dp/B07N26SLJB

The mitten covers vary in thickness from vendor to vendor, and some are more waterproof than others.
Last edited by: chrisesposito: Nov 9, 20 19:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
PBT_2009 wrote:
lightheir wrote:

I think I'll get some!

Last question - do they shrink in the dryer like most wool? That would be a dealbreaker for me.

Yes they will. Just don’t put them in the dryer. I let all my athletic socks air dry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not brand-specific, but one piece that I stumbled upon is a long-sleeve windstopper baselayer marketed for XC skiing about 15 years ago. I throw that on under my kit with some thermal arm warmers and I'm good down to 30º-ish. Plus I end up with a piece that I can use for something other than cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sportful Classics jersey. Don't need a vest!
Quote Reply
Re: Tell us your favorite cycling gear for cycling in 35-50F temps with wind (but no snow/ice!) [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:

In addition, I always go with a Craft neck gaiter any time its below 50F. It makes a big difference in staying comfy warm, and it's easy to remove and stuff in a pocket if it gets warmer.

Definitely a neck gaiter that doubles as a COVID mask.

Best improvement in staying warm when cycling below 60F for me. Amazing.

Even if COVID goes away...(pun intended).
Quote Reply
Re: Tell us your favorite cycling gear for cycling in 35-50F temps with wind (but no snow/ice!) [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
I love my Castelli Perfetto long sleeve. It’s basically a long sleeve gabba. It has two zip vents on the front that help me from getting clammy/wet underneath from sweat. It’s also an excellent jersey for rain. It’s a good do-it-all jersey for that temp range.

The fit/cut is good for racing in inclement weather.

This.

And for the colder end of that temperature range, the GripGrab Arctic shoe covers (4mm neoprene).

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply