Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BMC Team Machine SLR01 + aero tri bars
Quote | Reply
Hi team,

Prospecting signing up for Cairns IM 2021 (5 years since last go) and thinking about bike setup. Previously rode a Merida TT Team Warp pretty aggressively. Borrowed it... but now longer have access. Have got my dream bike roadie that is aero enough, but naturally I'm keen to get some aero tt/tri bars, given the gains.

Any recommendations or suggestions given the below?

2015 - TT bike

Intended 2021 - roadie + aero bars. Not in pic: DA disc's, bluetooth, and cages.

I came across these specifically designed for BMC Team Machine SLR01 Disc? cyclingkinetics.com/products/bmc-clip-on-aero-bar-tribar?variant=29475679338582. But don't know how much of a gimmick they are?

The time gained will be worth the hassle? Anyone got any stats on merida warp TT or how BMC Team Machine compare aero/TT wise?

Any advice, recommendations, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Last edited by: Conza: Nov 7, 20 17:06
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Team Machine SLR01 + aero tri bars [Conza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be starting at the saddle, and figuring out how far forward you can get it on that bike. If the seatpost is round, no problem, get a replacement with a forward offset.

What makes those bars in the link customised to your bike? they look like a generic clip on for a round bar. There are heaps of options here, and you probably want/need the lowest setup you can get, which I'm guessing would be a Profile Subsonic if buying new.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Team Machine SLR01 + aero tri bars [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
I'd be starting at the saddle, and figuring out how far forward you can get it on that bike. If the seatpost is round, no problem, get a replacement with a forward offset.

Great suggestion. Was thinking about afterwards, but probably right doing beforehand. Forget what I road with last time, worked great. Will try to recall. Was quite on the rivet. No round seatpost unfortunately. New TT saddle suggestions?

MattyK wrote:
What makes those bars in the link customised to your bike? they look like a generic clip on for a round bar. There are heaps of options here, and you probably want/need the lowest setup you can get, which I'm guessing would be a Profile Subsonic if buying new.

That's what I was also wondering. Hoping someone had some experience with their claims. That they do. Thanks, will check the Profile subsonic out.

Rocket launchers at the back - https://profile-design.com/...4&pr_seq=uniform - any recommendations for those?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not hard to do. I added the following and it is very comfortable:

1. Dash Road saddle--allows for great forward hip rotation while still allowing for a decent road cycling experience when not in aero bars
2. Redshift Quick Release Aero bars: these allow for literally a quick release when wanting to do a group ride. Off and on in about one minute.
3. I don't mind that it isn't "slammed" as opposed to my 8 year old BMC TM01. First of all, I'm comfortable with a flat back and narrow elbow pads. Secondly, my neck isn't young anymore and this allows for multihour rides without issues.
4. Planning on adding aerobar end shifters for a TT setup that will quick connect as well. Will probably race on this in 2021.

Bike is a 2021 Tarmac SL7 Expert with added parts as above as well as the Enve 65 wheelset.

Brian

"We don't inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." --Chief Seattle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conza wrote:
MattyK wrote:

Great suggestion. Was thinking about afterwards, but probably right doing beforehand. Forget what I road with last time, worked great. Will try to recall. Was quite on the rivet. No round seatpost unfortunately. New TT saddle suggestions?
ISMs are pretty good and (probably depending on model) have pretty long rails so you can slam it forward a long way (and then sit comfortably on the tip of it)
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Team Machine SLR01 + aero tri bars [osugasman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
osugasman wrote:
2. Redshift Quick Release Aero bars: these allow for literally a quick release when wanting to do a group ride. Off and on in about one minute.

Nice. I am rebuilding an old faithful from the ground up, as a wet weather bike/roadie - so should be ok with more permanent ones.

osugasman wrote:
4. Planning on adding aerobar end shifters for a TT setup that will quick connect as well. Will probably race on this in 2021.

Great idea. I have bluetooth already with di2 shifters. That what you mean by quick connect? Options for adding shifters myself, without wiring hassle to deal with?

osugasman wrote:
Bike is a 2021 Tarmac SL7 Expert with added parts as above as well as the Enve 65 wheelset.

Brian

Solid setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm referring to being able to add my quick release aerobars and then plug in the aerobar shifters so they work. Then when I want to remove the aerobars, all I need to do is disconnect the wiring for the di2 at the junction between the aerobar and the handlebar. I like having a "normal" handlebar on group rides for alternate hand positions/climbing--most aerobars don't really give you much to grip on the crossbar.

--Brian

"We don't inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." --Chief Seattle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Gotcha. I guess I am wondering if it's possible to have di2 shifters at the end of the aerobars... that are wireless?

I have wireless bluetooth already, so can shift from the top of my hoods: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/duraace-r9150-di2/EW-WU111.html , but ideally would be able to shift from aerobars without needing a new junction box (more ports) or more wires etc. major hassle.

I gather these aren't wireless? https://www.bikebug.com/shimano-dura-ace-di2-sw-r9160-remote-tttri-shifter-set-p-69966.html any other options you may know of?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, not wireless. All shifts with di2 require wires. Downside as compared to etap from sram. But with a wire under bar tape to stem that you can cap off when not in use, you could run a second wire down the aerobar and quickly connect as needed. It's gonna be f***ing 😎 awesome.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
osugasman wrote:
Right, not wireless. All shifts with di2 require wires. Downside as compared to etap from sram. But with a wire under bar tape to stem that you can cap off when not in use, you could run a second wire down the aerobar and quickly connect as needed. It's gonna be f***ing 😎 awesome.

Understood. Is there anyone who has done this? Would love to see a setup of sorts. Still marginally confused with whether I'll need another junction box or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could plug aerobar shifters into the side of one of the STI
your choice on whether to unwrap bar tape to get there
You would need a junction inside the aerobar to combine the shifter wires, or a JC130 Y-Junction cable
Quote Reply