Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [alfonso132] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alfonso132 wrote:
off topic, please forgive.... Does anyone here have a 300w FTP AND 300lbs bench? That's a bucket list goal for me.

cool goal. When I was 168 lbs I benched 260. When I was 152 lbs my ftp got up to 258. But my bench was probably under 200!
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
TriNewbieZA wrote:
Um, quads are definitely not the dominant muscle used for a deadlift.

Or the mile.

As I've posted before, my son ran a 4:29 1500m (~4:50 mile) at the end of a decathlon at 230 lbs. I keep telling him he should be doing these kind of stunts and be an Instagram/Youtube star.

does he have the personality for it? He probably could make some money, though I don't really know much about that end of it.
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
alfonso132 wrote:
off topic, please forgive.... Does anyone here have a 300w FTP AND 300lbs bench? That's a bucket list goal for me.

I think it is more fair to frame it with w/kg and your bench.

I know Zwift has a lot of fake junk going on, but there at tons of 100kg dudes on Zwift constantly cruising at 3w/kg all day long. I'm sitting there doing 260w on the TT bike at like 3.7w/kg and get passed standing still by dudes on TT bikes only doing 3w/kg. Take a peek at their workout display...........300w. Whew.

3w/kg is absolutely nothing up a hill. Whereas 300w is a lot of power for an hour. To me at least.

I probably do.

Haven't tested bench in a while though. Maxed out at ~400 pounds with a pause on chest at 100kg body mass 3 years ago. Video on instagram (or it didn't happen, of course!!).

I would imagine I can put up 300-315 pounds right now.
20-min best recorded = 309 W, and have only tested once (only recently got a power meter).
94kg body mass.

Yes, I get destroyed by smaller mediocre riders when the road turns uphill.

Great work!

I can't complain much on Zwift at all. I've done 305w for 20min at 71kg. Probably 72, but the sweat on trainers is nuts and I weighed afterwards. I usually input my "hydrated" weight into Zwift.

Either way, real life I can contort my body into a TT position that more than makes up for the heavy/strong set of riders. Zwift just isn't very generous on that front. I'm a lot faster IRL on the TT bike than Zwift allows me to be for equal power.

If I tried a bench right now.........I probably couldn't do my own weight. But, I can do 50 pushups! Lol.
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [alfonso132] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, but a friend's father set himself the challenge of a 330 bench press and a sub 3:30 marathon.

At 60.

Not a bloke to mess with.

One of his sons did a 380w 2 hour ride on Zwift a few weeks ago. Good genes.
Last edited by: altayloraus: Jan 15, 21 1:51
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since this thread has become about hybrid performances in general.... has anyone here done a sub-3 marathon & a 1000lb combined lift (eg total bench + dead + squat)? Allowing for recovery but not re-training between them. That to me (mid 30s male, mid 80s kgs) feels like an interesting stretch goal on the outskirts of realism.

Chop Nutrition http://www.chopnutrition.com (UK only)
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
HardlyTrying wrote:
TriNewbieZA wrote:
Um, quads are definitely not the dominant muscle used for a deadlift.

Or the mile.

As I've posted before, my son ran a 4:29 1500m (~4:50 mile) at the end of a decathlon at 230 lbs. I keep telling him he should be doing these kind of stunts and be an Instagram/Youtube star.

does he have the personality for it? He probably could make some money, though I don't really know much about that end of it.

Not really. He's been a college track coach for a few years and the athletes love and worship him. He would get a lot of followers quickly if he did it, but he doesn't seem to have the ambition for it.
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [StanMcKenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StanMcKenzie wrote:
Since this thread has become about hybrid performances in general.... has anyone here done a sub-3 marathon & a 1000lb combined lift (eg total bench + dead + squat)? Allowing for recovery but not re-training between them. That to me (mid 30s male, mid 80s kgs) feels like an interesting stretch goal on the outskirts of realism.

i have... if you count that in the same year. its possible
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick Symmonds is training to do the 500 lb deadlift and sub 5 min mile this year. Starting from a 335 deadlift and 4:50 something mile. He's "only" 37 years old and although retired from competitive running for a few years he's always going to find a way to go sub-5; so it is going to be interesting to see if he can lift 500 with a few months training.
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
Nick Symmonds is training to do the 500 lb deadlift and sub 5 min mile this year. Starting from a 335 deadlift and 4:50 something mile. He's "only" 37 years old and although retired from competitive running for a few years he's always going to find a way to go sub-5; so it is going to be interesting to see if he can lift 500 with a few months training.

335->500 euvalent effort of someone just barely breaking 7:00 mile going for sub 5:00. will take 2 years of work imho.. ryan hall is probably closer to that effort, but he needs to do it without straps
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:

A few months? He won't get to 500 in a few months from 335.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mean to be a conspiracy theorist but the video on the IG link ends after he's run only about 300 meters of the first lap. In this one posted on YouTube his splits on the first three laps including the deadlift time in the first lap are more like 69-70-75 (the IG story says 65-68-81-76):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEuzXkXCr0Q

This one stops with ~300 meters still to go and his pace is slowing pretty badly, the first 100 meters of the last lap takes him about 20 seconds. With 400 meters to go he's at about 3:40. So maybe he does it, <80 seconds is very possible on ~66-70-75. Just not sure why there doesn't seem to be video of the whole thing.

I can chalk the discrepancies on the first two laps up to errors in my estimating from the video or from YouTube not necessarily playing in real-time but 75 vs. 81 is a big difference (and I doubt he "mixed up" the the third and fourth laps).
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [rosshm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rosshm wrote:
Just not sure why there doesn't seem to be video of the whole thing.

That is odd. Either film it or don't.
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [rosshm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rosshm wrote:
I don't mean to be a conspiracy theorist but the video on the IG link ends after he's run only about 300 meters of the first lap. In this one posted on YouTube his splits on the first three laps including the deadlift time in the first lap are more like 69-70-75 (the IG story says 65-68-81-76):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEuzXkXCr0Q

This one stops with ~300 meters still to go and his pace is slowing pretty badly, the first 100 meters of the last lap takes him about 20 seconds. With 400 meters to go he's at about 3:40. So maybe he does it, <80 seconds is very possible on ~66-70-75. Just not sure why there doesn't seem to be video of the whole thing.

I can chalk the discrepancies on the first two laps up to errors in my estimating from the video or from YouTube not necessarily playing in real-time but 75 vs. 81 is a big difference (and I doubt he "mixed up" the the third and fourth laps).

i watched the whole live feed. guess the saved recording didnt completely take. but he did indeed do this, under 4:50
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please tell me how this has anything to do with triathlon?
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:

+1000, I've never heard any top tri guy saying "ya, when it got tough out there, I just kicked in my 500 lb deadlift legs and found another gear." :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:

No
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:

why do you have to hate? this is a multisport event. i find it interesting athletes who are dynamic rather than one trick pony. sometimes even on SBR we need to mix things up to not get burn out. this is a new challenge. what do you think you can do?

*** Edit addition: also with pandemic, we need to find other things to do. Finding an open pool here is very difficult for me, and I can't handle 55* open water
Last edited by: synthetic: Jan 18, 21 10:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alfonso132 wrote:

Presently have a 320W FTP and 275lb bench at 176lbs. Not 300 but just starting doing bench while trying to get to 1000 club. 300 bench will get me to 1000 so hopefully soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alfonso132 wrote:

The only hard part of that is 300# bench. If you can bench 300 and do any kind of legs I don't think 300W FTP is that impressive. If you weighed 100 kg, that's only 3 W/kg, untrained level of fitness for a lot of people. Now if you said 300# bench and 4.5 W/kg FTP then maybe it gets a lot more difficult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:

Everything

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw in a Runners World article that Ryan Hall is aiming to do a 500 lb deadlift and then go faster than 4:49 in the mile. It’s crazy to see his body transformation - up 70 lbs since his running days. He’s currently able to deadlift 510. A 4:49 mile was about his marathon pace back before retirement so I don’t think it should be too hard for him to get into good enough running shape to pump out one mile at that pace

https://www.runnersworld.com/...tion-ryan-sara-hall/

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
synthetic wrote:
I just saw it live, the result is 4:49

Here is his instagram link. https://www.instagram.com/michael.sgx

i feel like crap now, i cant even reach 75% of either of these effort levels in 1 week!

I wonder what Mo Farah could do with all his fast twitch (he has a 48 second 400m time). Is this a single 500 lbs dead lift or cumulative (example 10x50 lbs in 30 seconds and go run a 4:30 mile or 1x500 in 5 seconds and go run 4:55)

Farah's 400 time is more like 50.
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Earlier the 300w thing was mentioned about 100kg and bench pressing 300lbs.

I did a little informal polling of "bike dudes" on another forum and that topic wound up going for a few days and several pages.

Generic consensus was that the commonality of this depended a lot upon what crowd you hang out with. If you hang out with mostly 3/4/5 racers and clubbies and mostly "finisher" triathletes........the occurrence is next to zero doing 300w for an actual hour on any kind of trustable measurement device. Your best chance being among the larger sized Cat 3's.

But if you hang around P/1/2/3's and pointy end triathletes, it can become pretty common place, as it is necessary.

I fall into the 3/4/5 clubbie and finisher folks of who I follow mostly on Strava. I've seen some impressive 20min numbers, but I've NEVER seen a single one those people out of about 200 I follow do 300w for an honest hour.

There are about 10 out of the 200 who could certainly do it, and likely have............all of them are current pros from the team our company sponsors OR local regional pros or Cat 1/2 folks.

So, we concluded that it was not something done as often as Zwift would lead us to believe. As the ratio of the pointier end people is a lot lower than the middling folks down through "untrained".

Not scientific whatsoever.......but remember that ST is a weird subset of reality.........you've a bunch of folks nuts about endurance sports hanging out on an internet chat forum together...........yeah, I'm willing to bet that ratio is a LOT higher on here than the actual norm.
Quote Reply
Re: The bar has been raised! 500lb deadlift and 1 mile run all in under 5:00 [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Saw in a Runners World article that Ryan Hall is aiming to do a 500 lb deadlift and then go faster than 4:49 in the mile. It’s crazy to see his body transformation - up 70 lbs since his running days. He’s currently able to deadlift 510. A 4:49 mile was about his marathon pace back before retirement so I don’t think it should be too hard for him to get into good enough running shape to pump out one mile at that pace

https://www.runnersworld.com/...tion-ryan-sara-hall/

I follow hall on insta/FB. yesterday he was in san diego training with this guy who set the record. I cant wait for the epic battle between nick and ryan to happen. hopefully one goes for it soon. One thing to mention on 510 of ryan, he uses straps. That adds 30-50lb of lifting capability. But he still closer to reach this goal than nick
Quote Reply

Prev Next