Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swim wearables that capture a workout file... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
mgreer wrote:
Are you including watches (of which there are a ton that do this) or for things that are explicitly not watches?

i'm including everything. so, for example, a swimovate watch would do it. and i would imagine a garmin 945 would do it. but, i'm naive to how the distance is calculated. and, whether (for example) intervals are tracked. but, i'm including everything, such as, electronics by finis, like the tempo trainer, and there's a new goggle finis has just come out with i think, or any of the headphone devices.

Both the Garmin Fenix and Vivoactive lines record swims.

The old Finis Swimsense (below) did as well (though the file xfer was via wire/cradle). The newer one is wireless.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Swim wearables that capture a workout file... [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I see that. It looks like it breaks the strokes out by lap, so if you aren't pushing the lap button everytime you switch strokes it just says mixed strokes. I thought it auto detected a bit better, same for the rest times if you don't push the lap button.

Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim wearables that capture a workout file... [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will automatically detect stroke for each length, regardless of whether you push the lap button. If you switch strokes mid-length, it can't do much with that, But, if you maintain the same stroke during an entire length, it will generally do a pretty good job detecting the stroke type.

Minor edit: The mobile app only displays interval-level swim metrics, where an "interval" is defined by lap button presses or auto-lap if you have automatic rest turned on. However, the web app will go down to the length level independent of interval delimiters.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Nov 3, 20 5:42
Quote Reply
Re: Swim wearables that capture a workout file... [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had no issues with the 945 and heart rate in the pool. So glad I was able to stop wearing the Garmin swim HRM strap as the strap itself kept stretching.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim wearables that capture a workout file... [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:

The Apple Watch (I have series 5) works very well tracking HR in the pool.

Thank you for this! I have an Apple Watch series 5 and never even thought to try swimming with it. I just assumed it wouldn't be very good. With the 935, workouts will go to Garmin Connect, which then feeds to Strava and TP. I'm assuming I could do the same with swim WO's recorded on the Apple Watch?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
With the 935, workouts will go to Garmin Connect, which then feeds to Strava and TP. I'm assuming I could do the same with swim WO's recorded on the Apple Watch?
If you have the Strava app on your phone and it is connected to Apple Health, it will automatically detect a new workout and import it into Strava. Not sure about TO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
If this is what you are asking, I don’t know that it is: I could easily game a Garmin to say I swam a 500 in 4:50. So a virtual race using the recorded swim would be dubious in my opinion.

( And the splits would look legit - no I am not talking about using the drill mode).

sure. you can game a zwift race as well. so, there's an element of honor required here. but, assuming you put the pool length as 25 yards instead of the actual length of 25 meters, or some such thing, that's my interest. of course garmin could sort of self-police the thing, couldn't it, with its GPS?

Garmin actually will record the number of strokes taken per length (see Garmin connect screen shot below -- I use a 935). However, it's wrong! I take 12-13 strokes per length, so even if it's only tracking the one arm the watch is actually on, it's way off. It does sort of accurately track that I have a different stroke count on alternating lengths due to the slight current in the pool. If a baseline is established it could be used to show if someone decided to cheat the distance like by changing pool length from 25y to 25m (maybe an additional activity just before a race could be used to verify GPS coordinates of a known pool).

I have also found that the watch doesn't reliably track distance if you go really fast (like under 1:00/100y) or in a really short pool (20y). I don't know if newer watches are better at this, but I don't think it's an issue with something like the Phlex.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

yeah. i guess that betrays the kinds of pools available to me. they put pools indoors?

I'm with you - only options here are outdoor. I might even start swimming this week as the Sun is finally doing it's job of warming up the water.

As Tom said - no GPS data from pool swims on Garmin. Also no ability to fine tune the lap distance when your pool builder gave you an extra 7cm.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim wearables that capture a workout file... [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Optimal_Adrian wrote:

Garmin actually will record the number of strokes taken per length (see Garmin connect screen shot below -- I use a 935). However, it's wrong! I take 12-13 strokes per length, so even if it's only tracking the one arm the watch is actually on, it's way off. It does sort of accurately track that I have a different stroke count on alternating lengths due to the slight current in the pool. If a baseline is established it could be used to show if someone decided to cheat the distance like by changing pool length from 25y to 25m (maybe an additional activity just before a race could be used to verify GPS coordinates of a known pool).

I have also found that the watch doesn't reliably track distance if you go really fast (like under 1:00/100y) or in a really short pool (20y). I don't know if newer watches are better at this, but I don't think it's an issue with something like the Phlex.

I did a 50 set where I was turning at the flags on one side (cutting off 10 yards per 50) and trying to blast out from a deadstop. I was holding 30 flat on 34 flat effort (other than the first few seconds after the turn). I was reviewing the workout a few weeks later and was perplexed. It took me a while to remember what I did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
Amnesia wrote:

The Apple Watch (I have series 5) works very well tracking HR in the pool.

Thank you for this! I have an Apple Watch series 5 and never even thought to try swimming with it. I just assumed it wouldn't be very good. With the 935, workouts will go to Garmin Connect, which then feeds to Strava and TP. I'm assuming I could do the same with swim WO's recorded on the Apple Watch?

I have never tried to upload from my Apple Watch to Garmin and TP.....the app in development will send to TP in the future. What I have been doing is swimming with both my 935 on one wrist and the Apple Watch on the other. The 935 is annoying in that you need to pause with each interval (although the screen metrics on the pause screen are good for reviewing, ie last lap time and total distance so far and seconds in the current rest interval)....the Apple Watch (and Garmin Swim 2) auto pause each rest period so you don't need to worry as much.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another option would be to use an Apple Watch with either the Tri2PEAK (free test) or the Workout Planner Pro ($9) app. it measures HR via the watch or an external sensor and uploads to strava or emails you the .fit file to use where/how you want
Quote Reply

Prev Next