Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Latex Tube with short valve stem?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a sub-40mm valve stem on a latex tube? It seems like all latex tubes available are over 45mm in length.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Latex Tube with short valve stem? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could be wrong but I don’t think a sub 40 mm stem exists for a latex tube. Silca tubes are 42mm which is perfect for a super9 disc. I believe vittoria are 48 mm ( silca is a rebranded vittoria with a shorter valve stem and its aluminum).

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Latex Tube with short valve stem? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I checked with Dan, but for the Premier Bike disc wheel he suggested a 35mm. So I'm guessing I'll have to run butyl?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
I'm looking for a sub-40mm valve stem on a latex tube? It seems like all latex tubes available are over 45mm in length.

x2 on Josh's Silca tube at 42mm. I think that is about as short as you are going to find. I used a few VRED at 42mm which was as short as I could find before Silca. Course being the extreme weight weenie I was, I wanted the short stem mostly for weight reasons and not because of restrictions with clearance.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michelin has the shortest i could find when I last was shopping for latex tunes. They have 40mm and works just fine for my HED Jet Plus rear disc wheel with a Silca Hiro "crack pipe".
Last edited by: loxx0050: Nov 2, 20 10:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t know the dimensions of his wheels but based of pictures, I don’t see any reason why a 42mm or even a 48mm stem wouldn’t work. The opening looks rather long and wide and I would highly doubt you will have any clearance issues. Unless you have an abnormally large crack pipe. The super9 disc has one of the smallest openings to fit a crack pipe in it. I severely doubt the premier is smaller than that.

Also... I don’t think I’ve ever seen a butyl tube with a 35mm stem. It might exist but I would think that’s rare (someone will correct me if I’m wrong). I think you can easily get a 35mm stem for a tubeless setup but that’s another discussion.

Edit: if you have to run butyl on a disc wheel, then that kinda defeats the purpose of a disc.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Nov 2, 20 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: Latex Tube with short valve stem? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I eyeballed the Vittoria 48mm last night with the Silca crack pipe and it definitely wouldn't fit once the tube was inflated. I'll try tonight because maybe my eyes were lying to me. Appreciate the help, everyone!

ETA: Crisis averted. 48mm is perfectly fine with the Silca crack pipe.

Last edited by: cloy: Nov 2, 20 12:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shortest is Michelin 18/20 @ 36mm, it's pretty small on paper but it's actually not as thin latex as a Vredestein Light for example so it easily expands safely to tires up to 26-27mm real measured width in my experience. https://www.probikeshop.fr/...resta-36mm/8336.html

Then Silca @ 42mm would be my second choice of course ! Short alloy valve stem is great for better wheel balance.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex Tube with short valve stem? [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the Michelin Aircomp Latex. I have had them at 36mm and 40mm to fit in the inflation hole on my Renn disc wheel. No complaints.
Quote Reply