Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Winterizing bikes
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about this yesterday as I was washing off my mountain bike.

I probably only have 2-3 weeks before full on winter and snow sets in. The mountain bike will go on the wall, gravel bike will go on the trainer and fat bike will wake up from its hibernation.

Is there any maintenance you do before 1) storing a bike that won't be used for 5 months 2) go indoors

Besides giving the bike a bath and drivetrain a good cleaning I'm not sure what else should to be done.
Quote Reply
Re: Winterizing bikes [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put a drop of lube on all pivot points (there are less now with disc brakes), clean and lube the chain of course and check any cables for smooth operation. Change old cables now so your bike is ready to go when that first warm day pops up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your last rides are when they salted the road for ice then a good warm water wash with several rinses to keep paint shiney

A dab of petroleum jelly or grease can block air/oxygen which prevents rust spots and oxidation on the allen bolts, exposed thread, exposed cable, the springs of caliper brakes. then just wipe it off when going to use

And dust caps for inner tubes if usually ride without
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Nov 4, 20 22:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
I was thinking about this yesterday as I was washing off my mountain bike.

I probably only have 2-3 weeks before full on winter and snow sets in. The mountain bike will go on the wall, gravel bike will go on the trainer and fat bike will wake up from its hibernation.

Is there any maintenance you do before 1) storing a bike that won't be used for 5 months 2) go indoors

Besides giving the bike a bath and drivetrain a good cleaning I'm not sure what else should to be done.

Lube or replace cables is a good one.
Also, depending on materials, when you live around salty air or higher humidity, is a slight coat of wax on metal surfaces (excluding brake surfaces ;-) to prevent corrosion.
Quote Reply