Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Xterra Bike - Options? [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think so. I'd shy away from any bike that has "proprietary" major components (i.e. Supercaliber's rear shock and, to complement that, laughable amount of travel).

I LOVE the Epic model lineup, but dislike that the Brain is absolutely required to be serviced by Specialized themselves.

I think the best XC "race" bike is probably the Epic (probably the Evo for me), but my go to list to check out would include the Pivot Mach 4, Scott Spark RC, Trek Top Fuel, BMC Fourstroke (probably the LT model for more general all around capability), and a few others that I cannot think of off the top of my head.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Bike - Options? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
I think so. I'd shy away from any bike that has "proprietary" major components (i.e. Supercaliber's rear shock and, to complement that, laughable amount of travel).

I LOVE the Epic model lineup, but dislike that the Brain is absolutely required to be serviced by Specialized themselves.

I think the best XC "race" bike is probably the Epic (probably the Evo for me), but my go to list to check out would include the Pivot Mach 4, Scott Spark RC, Trek Top Fuel, BMC Fourstroke (probably the LT model for more general all around capability), and a few others that I cannot think of off the top of my head.

The bolded above is key, goes for c-dale on the scalpel, amazing bike, but service nightmare for the lefty (rides like a dream, sucks to service).

I am rather partial to my Orbea Oiz.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Bike - Options? [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sulliesbrew wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

The bolded above is key, goes for c-dale on the scalpel, amazing bike, but service nightmare for the lefty (rides like a dream, sucks to service).

I am rather partial to my Orbea Oiz.

Agree with you on the Scalpel Lefty fork, I found a place in NY that does the service and it's a quick turn around.

Any good fork is going to need service. I've found that servicing a Fox fork to be painless. You can go to their website and type in your serial number and it gives you part numbers and instructions for your fork, even if it's many years old. I was very impressed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Herbie Hancock wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
What are the fastest bikes for racing?

Supercaliber
A
So that's what I was torn btw ...... A super caliber and top fuel

Another vote for the Supercaliber.

Always been a committed hardtail fan (for both east and west coast riding), but this convinced me to cross over and this will most likely be my next MTB.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Bike - Options? [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats a sexy bike.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Herbie Hancock wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:

Supercaliber

I own the 2019 Top Fuel 9.9 (the one before the lasted gen that launched second half of 2020).

I had an Epic before this bike, but it was stolen from my LBS. The shop paid for my Top Fuel.

The Top Fuel is a good bike, but when I first got on it I missed my Epic. After a lot of tweaking to the suspension settings and many miles of riding, I got used to the Top Fuel and it feels fast now.

I will say that the Epic always felt "clunky" to me because of how the rear brain functions, but it felt fast and didn't seem to require as much fiddling around. Didn't have (or need) a lockout to clutter up my cockpit/cable routing and take focus away from riding. It allowed for two waterbottles to fit inside the rear triangle, unlike my trek which is tight with one.

Personally, if i had to get a new trek today, it would be the Supercaliber. No doubt. It suits me well. Your style of riding and trail might be different than mine, so maybe you'd like the Top Fuel. It's hard to know without throwing your leg over on and riding. If you happen to live in Oklahoma, you can borrow my Top Fuel any time.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Bike - Options? [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
Herbie Hancock wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:

Supercaliber

I own the 2019 Top Fuel 9.9 (the one before the lasted gen that launched second half of 2020).

I had an Epic before this bike, but it was stolen from my LBS. The shop paid for my Top Fuel.

The Top Fuel is a good bike, but when I first got on it I missed my Epic. After a lot of tweaking to the suspension settings and many miles of riding, I got used to the Top Fuel and it feels fast now.

I will say that the Epic always felt "clunky" to me because of how the rear brain functions, but it felt fast and didn't seem to require as much fiddling around. Didn't have (or need) a lockout to clutter up my cockpit/cable routing and take focus away from riding. It allowed for two waterbottles to fit inside the rear triangle, unlike my trek which is tight with one.

Personally, if i had to get a new trek today, it would be the Supercaliber. No doubt. It suits me well. Your style of riding and trail might be different than mine, so maybe you'd like the Top Fuel. It's hard to know without throwing your leg over on and riding. If you happen to live in Oklahoma, you can borrow my Top Fuel any time.

Thank you for the insight!

I am in Austin, close but to far for a test ride :-(

I think I just need to pick a bike a bike find the best deal I can and go with it. I can get a S Works Epic Evo by next month or a Top Fuel by next month. Super Calibers seem to be longer lead times.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply

Prev Next