Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM FL 2020 if you exceed 1hr 10 mins on first swim loop you will be considered DNF at the end of the day WTF ? [slowbutmoving] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Decided to chime in one last time as I try to find something to do to avoid the election coverage tonight - not that it will swing the debate either way...

Had a personal experience with a similar situation a few years ago. My (much) older sister (lets just say she qualifies as "senior) had finally convinced me to do a sprint tri with her, so she could accomplish a longtime goal of doing a tri "just once." We were the last people off the swim, bike and run courses a lonnnng time behind all of the fields - I mean everyone had already long cleared out of transitions and they were driving behind us pulling up the cones as we approached the finish line (I came in DFL that day so she wouldn't).

I'd been a volunteer team/course manager for that event for a number of years, so I knew first-hand the logistics delays we were causing and all the people we were keeping from going home. But through all that no one ever hustled us along and when we finally reached the line, it was all smiles and cheers for the last two sprint finishers who came in long after everyone had already gone home.

Would I have pulled us off the course as an RD? Absolutely.
Did we cause a huge inconvenience to a whole lot of people by not "doing the right thing" of pulling ourselves off the course? Absolutely.
Would I trade letting all those people go home earlier for not seeing the look of pure joy on my sister's face for accomplishing her lifetime goal? Not on your friggin life!

I'm off the fence now. I'm siding with the idea that while there are many "competitions" out there to be had, unless you have a shot at the money, IM is indeed a "participants" race. The reason the pro's, elites and god-tier age groupers have an event to go to is because of all the duffers lining up to have their go. I say, let 'em have it...
Quote Reply
Re: IM FL 2020 if you exceed 1hr 10 mins on first swim loop you will be considered DNF at the end of the day WTF ? [insulinpower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
insulinpower wrote:
Decided to chime in one last time as I try to find something to do to avoid the election coverage tonight - not that it will swing the debate either way...

Had a personal experience with a similar situation a few years ago. My (much) older sister (lets just say she qualifies as "senior) had finally convinced me to do a sprint tri with her, so she could accomplish a longtime goal of doing a tri "just once." We were the last people off the swim, bike and run courses a lonnnng time behind all of the fields - I mean everyone had already long cleared out of transitions and they were driving behind us pulling up the cones as we approached the finish line (I came in DFL that day so she wouldn't).

I'd been a volunteer team/course manager for that event for a number of years, so I knew first-hand the logistics delays we were causing and all the people we were keeping from going home. But through all that no one ever hustled us along and when we finally reached the line, it was all smiles and cheers for the last two sprint finishers who came in long after everyone had already gone home.

Would I have pulled us off the course as an RD? Absolutely.
Did we cause a huge inconvenience to a whole lot of people by not "doing the right thing" of pulling ourselves off the course? Absolutely.
Would I trade letting all those people go home earlier for not seeing the look of pure joy on my sister's face for accomplishing her lifetime goal? Not on your friggin life!

I'm off the fence now. I'm siding with the idea that while there are many "competitions" out there to be had, unless you have a shot at the money, IM is indeed a "participants" race. The reason the pro's, elites and god-tier age groupers have an event to go to is because of all the duffers lining up to have their go. I say, let 'em have it...

Your sister chose a sprint distance, even if you kept everyone from going home, it was for maybe an extra hour? If organizers were to let everyone do the same thing for an IM distance we would have folks taking over 24 hours to complete the race taking many breaks. That seems like a logistics' nightmare.

To illustrate my point: at one of the local running races here, there is a 5k, half, and full marathon. It is always a competitive race with elite north American and African runners. A few years ago, a friend was watching me at the line and noticed that shortly after two South American runners came in for the win on the half on like 62 minutes, it was announced that the women's winner was on her way to finish the race on like 68 minutes. Considering there are elite runners, this did not seem far-fetched for the announcer. My friend, who is not a runner, noticed something wrong as she was really jogging and she seemed a bit old to be an elite female runner.

Turns out that this senior/middle aged lady signed herself up for the half marathon. Last minute she decided to run the 5 k instead and just worked her way to the start somehow with a half-marathon bib. The 5k course uses the last 5 km of the half marathon course but it is launched about an hour and half before the half and full marathons to ensure all 5k runners are cleared. If you do the math, her time on the 5 k was 2.5 - 3 hours.

Bottom line: don't underestimate how much time people take to complete any distance. If the range for a 5k is 14 min to 3 hours, you can imagine what would it be for a 3.8 k swim or a full distance Ironman. Hence, I think it is reasonable to use time limits.
Quote Reply
Re: IM FL 2020 if you exceed 1hr 10 mins on first swim loop you will be considered DNF at the end of the day WTF ? [slowbutmoving] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That has always been the first loop cut off as far as I know...my first IM was in 2004, and that was the cut-off then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does not take much effort to get to a mediocre swimming ability. A few YouTube videos on form, hot the pool 3x a week for a few months and you should be more than fine. Had never swim in my life until 26 and within 2 months I had a 38min 70.3 swim and 1 year in a 1:15 IM swim. I get it’s a participation sport but so is bodybuilding. Any one can enter and most don’t care about the results. Doesn’t mean that out of shape dadbod should enter after walking in the gym a few times and downing a protein shake. Ditch the instant attempt at gratification and show the sport some respect.
Quote Reply
Re: IM FL 2020 if you exceed 1hr 10 mins on first swim loop you will be considered DNF at the end of the day WTF ? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're misunderstanding the point of my question. Not asking for myself. Was just a theoretical question where athlete surpasses first cut off, makes second 2:20 cut off, finishes race say in 15 hours but gets DNF for missing first 1:10 cut off. I looked at the official Florida athlete guide and it says this-

SWIM CUT-OFF
The swim course will close 2 hours and 20 minutes after the last age group
athlete starts the swim. Each athlete will get the full 2 hours and 20 minutes
to complete the 2.4 mile swim regardless of what time they enter the water.
Athletes who take longer than 2 hours and 20 minutes to complete the swim
will receive a DNF. IRONMAN officials reserve the right to pull athletes off the
course who exceed any established course time cut-offs.

No mention here of that first loop 1:10 requirement in order to not DNF. I think maybe what they meant to say was exceeding 1:10 might get you pulled out of the water for your own safety.

TRIATHLON ART FOR YOUR PAIN CAVE: https://tinyurl.com/ydefvjhq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the 70 min loop is being established as a time cutoff for the swim and is consistent with the same treatment of cutoffs on the bike and run. Unless you are physically pulled from the course these DNFs only show up in the official online results after the race. The individual who beats 17 hrs but is DNFd for missing an internal cutoff still crosses the finish line, is called an Ironman, and collects the finisher medal and SWAG. This has been a debate topic since the intro of rolling starts.
Quote Reply
Re: IM FL 2020 if you exceed 1hr 10 mins on first swim loop you will be considered DNF at the end of the day WTF ? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Ironman isn’t hard.

If 70 year old men and women can finish them, its not hard.

It is hard to qualify for Kona. But the distance isn’t hard.

The average person should be able to swim 1km in 20 minutes. 4km in 1hr 20.
The average person should be able to bike 180km in 7 hours (being generous)
The average person can walk 42km in 6 hours.

Where the times blow out is the pity parties and stopping. Or doing zero training.

However even then, 17hrs is generous and Again if 70yr olds can do it, anyone can.

Ironman isn’t hard to finish. And certainly isn’t a race for most.

I can't comment for the bike. But I will not be able to reach T1 in this race even after putting more than a year of serious marathon swim training into it. I currently expect to swim 4 km in 1 hour 30.
Quote Reply
Re: IM FL 2020 if you exceed 1hr 10 mins on first swim loop you will be considered DNF at the end of the day WTF ? [T2LV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T2LV wrote:
It does not take much effort to get to a mediocre swimming ability. A few YouTube videos on form, hot the pool 3x a week for a few months and you should be more than fine. Had never swim in my life until 26 and within 2 months I had a 38min 70.3 swim and 1 year in a 1:15 IM swim.

I am so jealous - but - this is not happen on me.

I didn't swim in my life except occasionally until 23. Starting 2 years ago I watched a lot of YouTube videos on form, then hit the pool 3x AND open water 1 - 2x per week, then get into a club squad, then get video analysis from that coach. Still over 1:20 for an IM swim. Then I started to show sign of improvement after a winter of marathon-level swim training. Then pandemic interrupted my training and all my improvement has lost. I have nearly lost my hope already but I still have a challenge next year which I booked just before the pandemic and can't be postponed, and my training is seriously lagging behind.

Either you are talented or I am dumb.
Quote Reply
Re: IM FL 2020 if you exceed 1hr 10 mins on first swim loop you will be considered DNF at the end of the day WTF ? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Dr. Triax wrote:

I can explain it to you: An Ironman should not be easy. Should be hard. Ironman should not be ride in the park. Should be a race. If you get "kicked in the face, your leg cramps up, your goggles leak, or your heart rate spikes on the first loop", maybe Ironman was stronger than you. Ironman was not meant for everyone. I would make cut-off times even harder. Much more. Age dependent, of course.

I’ve done multiple ironmans and Kona once. And I would say now that Ironmans are more a participation sport rather than a race for 80% of entries. Maybe even higher.

I'd wager a guess that a fair bit of these people are the same ones that don't like when children get participation trophies for losing a soccer match. When I race and don't place, I don't keep or display the finisher medals. Before ST goes crazy with this, just because I say that I do something does not automatically mean I judge or care what anyone else does with their medals.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: IM FL 2020 if you exceed 1hr 10 mins on first swim loop you will be considered DNF at the end of the day WTF ? [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:
T2LV wrote:
It does not take much effort to get to a mediocre swimming ability. A few YouTube videos on form, hot the pool 3x a week for a few months and you should be more than fine. Had never swim in my life until 26 and within 2 months I had a 38min 70.3 swim and 1 year in a 1:15 IM swim.

I am so jealous - but - this is not happen on me.

I didn't swim in my life except occasionally until 23. Starting 2 years ago I watched a lot of YouTube videos on form, then hit the pool 3x AND open water 1 - 2x per week, then get into a club squad, then get video analysis from that coach. Still over 1:20 for an IM swim. Then I started to show sign of improvement after a winter of marathon-level swim training. Then pandemic interrupted my training and all my improvement has lost. I have nearly lost my hope already but I still have a challenge next year which I booked just before the pandemic and can't be postponed, and my training is seriously lagging behind.

Either you are talented or I am dumb.

A 1:20 IM swim (2.4 miles) is totally reasonable. The 1:10 cutoff is for 1.2 miles..........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM FL 2020 if you exceed 1hr 10 mins on first swim loop you will be considered DNF at the end of the day WTF ? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
PJC wrote:
Dr. Triax wrote:

I can explain it to you: An Ironman should not be easy. Should be hard. Ironman should not be ride in the park. Should be a race. If you get "kicked in the face, your leg cramps up, your goggles leak, or your heart rate spikes on the first loop", maybe Ironman was stronger than you. Ironman was not meant for everyone. I would make cut-off times even harder. Much more. Age dependent, of course.

I’ve done multiple ironmans and Kona once. And I would say now that Ironmans are more a participation sport rather than a race for 80% of entries. Maybe even higher.

I'd wager a guess that a fair bit of these people are the same ones that don't like when children get participation trophies for losing a soccer match. When I race and don't place, I don't keep or display the finisher medals. Before ST goes crazy with this, just because I say that I do something does not automatically mean I judge or care what anyone else does with their medals.

I’m not sure entirely your point is. Many do see themselves as participants. Sure many of us are “racing” against our own goals but we’re not anywhere close to the leaderboard. Sure there should be a cutoff and I feel like IM, given they’re a business, is trying to attract as many participants as possible while also realizing they can’t keep a course open all day.
Quote Reply
Re: IM FL 2020 if you exceed 1hr 10 mins on first swim loop you will be considered DNF at the end of the day WTF ? [T2LV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T2LV wrote:
It does not take much effort to get to a mediocre swimming ability. A few YouTube videos on form, hot the pool 3x a week for a few months and you should be more than fine. Had never swim in my life until 26 and within 2 months I had a 38min 70.3 swim and 1 year in a 1:15 IM swim. I get it’s a participation sport but so is bodybuilding. Any one can enter and most don’t care about the results. Doesn’t mean that out of shape dadbod should enter after walking in the gym a few times and downing a protein shake. Ditch the instant attempt at gratification and show the sport some respect.

LOL - if it were literally this easy, just go from zero swim training, then swim '3x a week for a few months' and then drop a 38min 70.3 (which is typically in the 50%ish range of HIM swims), literally zero HIM competitors would be finishing the swim slower than 38 mins.

Not saying 38 mins is some blazing time (clearly it's not) but you would literally be the best coach in the world if you could take any triathlete regardless of ability including 60-70 year olds and get them ALL sub-38 mins with 3 months of 3x/swim training.

Similarly, you could take a runner with decent natural talent, and get him under sub-18 with 2 months of 18-20mpw of nonstructured running. Makes it look like everyone should be able to do it. But then you try it on everyone else, and very few can.
Last edited by: lightheir: Nov 6, 20 11:21
Quote Reply
Re: IM FL 2020 if you exceed 1hr 10 mins on first swim loop you will be considered DNF at the end of the day WTF ? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:
PJC wrote:
Dr. Triax wrote:

I’m not sure entirely your point is. Many do see themselves as participants. Sure many of us are “racing” against our own goals but we’re not anywhere close to the leaderboard. Sure there should be a cutoff and I feel like IM, given they’re a business, is trying to attract as many participants as possible while also realizing they can’t keep a course open all day.

My point is that people will simultaneously whine about cut off times and participation trophies for kids soccer leagues.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is pretty common on loop courses. IMFL is a unique swim that you exit the water then re-enter (or was when I did it). Usually this is more common on bike and run due to ease of closing off. Can do at Florida just because of the opportunity.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Their race; their rules. How many athletes will this actually impact? Surely less than 5 total can’t swim 1.2 in 1:10, then negative split the swim, and also finish sub 17?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Nov 6, 20 18:33
Quote Reply

Prev Next