Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: anyone training on bike outdoors throughout depths of winter (in places that are actually get snow and frequently below 0)? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have discovered that the Highline Canal trail is great for easy gravel riding. My favorite stretch is starting at Hampton and Colorado and going South. I use it as just a good Z2+ ride. There are a few street crossings, but during the week, at night, it sure beats anything else in the south Denver area. As an out and back, going 25 Km/hour, I can get in a good 3.5 hour ride.

PM me if you need any more beta.

Db
Quote Reply
Re: anyone training on bike outdoors throughout depths of winter (in places that are actually get snow and frequently below 0)? [Trooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heck in my latitude if its below 45 I'm on the trainer. Zero? No way.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone training on bike outdoors throughout depths of winter (in places that are actually get snow and frequently below 0)? [Trooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am from Denmark. Average temps in winter is about 0-1C and I ride outside all year (my last indoor trainer session was February 2018 :)). We rarely get much snow, but when we do I'll ride MTB or gravel bike.

The winter is hard on the material, especially drive train and bearings: salt on cold days and wet roads on "warm" days.
Chains last 2000-2500 winter-km and cassette 5000-7500 winter-km.
I have Ultegra Di2 on my winter bike and had to replace both front end rear derailleur after approx 25.000km (Di2 is brilliant with cold wet fingers so worth the price). Bottom bracket bearings is replaced yearly and wheel bearings every second year.

I work with IT and have 8-10 hours in front of the screen every day. There is no way I'll do my riding in front of a screen :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there is ice I won't ride outside. Much below 40 I think I'm choosing to either head up & XC ski or ride the trainer. I'm good down to about 40 though. Beyond that I'm not into feeling I need to ride for any particular reason. I can always make it a run day, strength or even that coveted day off. Dry roads & snow on the ground doesn't bother me though.

I don't mind flurries coming down mid-ride, happened before, but not if I'm starting and it starts to snow. I bail on it then.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone training on bike outdoors throughout depths of winter (in places that are actually get snow and frequently below 0)? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live at the footslopes of the Bavarian Alps, winter can be harsh. My available time window is often in the morning. -10 to 0°, plenty of salt on the roads. However, I haven't observed any abnormal wear in all the years. I clean/hose my bike immediately when I get back home. And I use fenders in winter. Proper fenders. And most of the days roads are dry anyway, salt helps with that. I have a dedicated winter bike. Rarely use it these days, electronic shifting on the main bike is simply too nice.

I often combine outdoor and indoor riding, a few hours outdoors followed by some time in the basement. I ride about 20h/week, this means I log some time. Heated overshoes and gloves (Race E-Cover) help a lot in the cold mornings.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone training on bike outdoors throughout depths of winter (in places that are actually get snow and frequently below 0)? [sryke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sryke wrote:
And I use fenders in winter. Proper fenders.
(...)
I have a dedicated winter bike. Rarely use it these days, electronic shifting on the main bike is simply too nice.

Yeah, I also ride with fenders.
My dedicated winter bike has Di2 ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next