Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Galen Rupp nose plasters
Quote | Reply
Rupp ran a 60:22 HM...with awkward nose plasters on his face. I get the idea (actually do I?) but do you think it’s really beneficial?

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Last edited by: captainolek: Oct 30, 20 12:21
Quote Reply
Re: Galen Rupp nose plasters [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d think so, though very marginally. I do know he has had minor breathing issues in the past, even wearing allergen masks pre-race. Id think any way of keeping airway passages open wide would provide a benefit, albeit slight

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anatomically I would say that it’s very unlikely that this exerts any meaningful effect on airway diameter. The majority of your nasal airway is defined by bony structures (turbinates, hard palate, maxilla) which are not going to be stretched or influenced by tape or adhesive. The mucosa certainly can become swollen and edematous, with upper respiratory infections (that’s why you get a stuffy nose with a cold) or allergies, but clearly this is not going to be affected by a strip of tape either. A squirt of oxymetazalone (Afrin) probably has more influence on airway diameter than a strip of exotic tape.
Quote Reply
Re: Galen Rupp nose plasters [eblackadder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the tape directly relates to a specific part of the airway path. Just the nose skin/connective tissue. This is a part that’s really flexible enough to cause some restriction, especially if it gets inflamed. Tape helps force it open, so you limit any of that restriction

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Galen Rupp nose plasters [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It makes a good marketing pitch, but the data supporting it is at best neutral.
1. O’KROY, JOSEPH A.; JAMES, TODD; MILLER, JOSHUA M.; TOROK, DONALD; CAMPBELL, KATHERINE Effects of an external nasal dilator on the work of breathing during exercise, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise: March 2001 - Volume 33 - Issue 3 - p 454-458

2. Dinardi R, de Andrade C, da Cunha Ibiapina C. External nasal dilators: definition, background, and current uses. Int J Gen Med. 2014;7:491-504

This second source is a reasonable review of the topic. Essentially, although there may be a change in the total cross-sectional area by using a nasal strip, the actual effects on subjective and objective work of breathing, Vo2, and spirometric parameters show at best mixed results. Galen Rupp has been using a nasal strip since he ran at Oregon in the early 2000’s, so I imagine he feels it gives him some benefit. We are all subject to similar types of placebos, particularly in the über-type A triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we not certain he is playing to become a wide receiver?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Galen Rupp nose plasters [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As we know Galen competing wearing face masks for pollen

It seems like a risk if you are pollen intolerant to stretch your nasal holes wider making the mucous layer and hairs less efficient for filtering... Maybe only on low pollen index days? I remember his coach was watching the pollen app to know which days Galen could leave the hotel in Atlana
These new strips remind me of clockwork orange

Basically bonnet scoops for your face

Then why not cut out the nasal bone bottle neck and go straight to the trachea?
(picture is in next post due to attachment limit)
Quote Reply
Re: Galen Rupp nose plasters [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Galen Rupp nose plasters [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:

in baja mexico there is a former pro still sub elite guy spamming this mouth piece product
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He'd benefit more from taping his ears.
Quote Reply
Re: Galen Rupp nose plasters [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
He'd benefit more from taping his ears.

OhSnap

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team