Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Does training slower really make you faster? [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duncan wrote:

This touches on something that I've been wondering about often recently – namely, while there is extensive data indicating that a high volume of LIT is effective/essential for maximising endurance performance, is there an "intensity floor" below which training is simply unproductive or useless? Here, I'm thinking more about cycling rather than running, since in cycling it is quite possible for a decent rider to tool along at very low relative intensities. Or, does no such floor exist?

On a connected point, some years ago I started doing winter sessions on the bike in which I base my intensity level on Lydiard's description of "aerobic conditioning" for running. Since for me this involves holding an average power of 250+ W for up to 3 h, there is no way that this is consistent with a typical interpretation of an easy, low intensity session. Arguably it has, however, proved to be an effective training strategy.

I think if you're consistently going out and riding at 50% of FTP that's probably too low too often. Now that's not to say the occasional ride at 50% of FTP is bad, it's not. In fact if you're shelled going out for a very easy hour such as this can provide many benefits.

On your connected point that sounds like a lot of tempo to sweet spot work. What % of your FTP is 250+w for 3h?

One way, and there was a thread alluding to this recently, to really boost your fitness is to do just what you said. That's very good for half/im racing. probably leave a bit of spring out of your legs for oly/sprints.

yet I'd rather have a FTP of 300 having done a ton of tempo/ss work than have a FTP of 275 having done a lot of vo2 & threshold work

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Does training slower really make you faster? [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There seems to be a lot of stuff going on in this thread. I hope to address two topics:

- It’s hard to hit fast paces in a race you haven’t hit in training.
- For slow/casual workouts to make you faster, you have to have high volume.

You can’t just run slow with little volume and expect results. It doesn’t work like that.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Does training slower really make you faster? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not disagreeing with what you are trying to point out here but you are pretending everyone is already at the point end of the field and has the time to get all those hour in to properly prep for a plus 3 hr race.

What about trying to say is one program / % structure doesn't fit all. hence why good coaches get results with every type of athlete not just the work horses.

My main point was everyone needs the quality work first in the week and then easy fillers around it. The more volume you get in ratios change of course.

alot of Top guy will do 90/10 some weeks and 70/30 other week. Some slow beginners are basically 50/50 on 7 hours a week and can only do easy work on the bike. due to lack of skill.

Also a heavy runner can not go by the 80/20 rule as all those slow miles are so much harder on their joint load. they will spot running due to injury before they lose wt.

A fast runner that does an easy 10 miles in 1:20 has less stress then a heavy runner doing 10 miles in 1:20 or even1:50.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Does training slower really make you faster? [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google steven seiler in fact he's posted on here. google that thread

I pressed the easy button for you: https://scholar.google.com/...is=1&oi=scholart

ETA: here's one of the threads on it. Since this was first posted Seiler himself has modified his position a bit on this topic. There's a large body of work out there you need to watch to help you really grasp it, or at least start with the most recent. Included are several threads on ST as well.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...o__P4931310/?page=-1

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Oct 31, 20 17:48
Quote Reply
Re: Does training slower really make you faster? [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:

I then tried one quick km to see how bad it was, and the answer was really bad. I couldn't hold 4:30/km for more than a few hundred meters.

So in summary, lots of slow running ruined my running.

Reading the replies here convinces me that we are very much individual in our needs.

Were you adequately rested for that one quick km? Seems to me that you weren't or you would have been able to hold that pace for more than a few hundred meters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
duncan wrote:

On a connected point, some years ago I started doing winter sessions on the bike in which I base my intensity level on Lydiard's description of "aerobic conditioning" for running. Since for me this involves holding an average power of 250+ W for up to 3 h, there is no way that this is consistent with a typical interpretation of an easy, low intensity session. Arguably it has, however, proved to be an effective training strategy.

On your connected point that sounds like a lot of tempo to sweet spot work. What % of your FTP is 250+w for 3h?
Just under 80%. I think of it more as tempo than sweet spot, on the Z2/Z3 border if taking threshold (FTP) as Z4.

My races are mainly hilly and alpine gran fondos and cyclosportives. One hard tempo ride per week through winter has proven to be an effective strategy at building functional endurance to transfer to my longer target events during the season. If I can support over 3 hours straight averaging 260 W (actual average power, not normalized, so pretty much never not pedaling), then a 5 hour ride ridden in a regular way is not so challenging. I live in Switzerland and, compared to LIT, tempo pace also makes it much easier to stay warm on the cold winter days.
Quote Reply
Re: Does training slower really make you faster? [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kat_Kong wrote:
Hi all,

A friend has stated that by training easy all of the time that they will develop speed in the long run. I disagree and cite experts in the tri coaching industry who recommend phases of training such as Base training, race specific, etc.

Does anyone (or do you) train exclusively at an 'easy' pace and then miraculously are speedy on race day?

I have a theory that people whom this type of training works for are 'naturally fast' and then there is the rest of us....and that we need a training progression from base training (long slow easy training) to more race specific training.

Thanks!

KK

I don't know about 'exclusively' but it sure seems like doing 86% of all of the work easy doesn't hurt :-)

https://journals.humankinetics.com/....X5LReDgRp-I.twitter

" The improvement in performance of the participant was mainly determined by the progressive increase in training volume, especially performed at low intensity"

Just the latest in the papers supporting the "go slower to race faster" method. And, it should be noted, 7% of the balance was strength training, so only ~3% of all the training was between LT1 and LT2 and only ~4% above LT2 for the most successful Biathlete of recent times (5x Olympic Champ and 13x World Champ)!

Another interesting note, when he did increase the intensity in 2019, despite maintaining similar volume, his performance deteriorated.

IME, while 'exclusively' going easy isn't the best idea, most significantly underestimate the benefit of really eazzzzy mileage.

Alan Couzens, M.Sc. (Sports Science)
Exercise Physiologist/Coach
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Alan_Couzens
Web: https://alancouzens.com
Last edited by: Alan Couzens: Nov 1, 20 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: Does training slower really make you faster? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
I am not disagreeing with what you are trying to point out here but you are pretending everyone is already at the point end of the field and has the time to get all those hour in to properly prep for a plus 3 hr race.

What about trying to say is one program / % structure doesn't fit all. hence why good coaches get results with every type of athlete not just the work horses.

My main point was everyone needs the quality work first in the week and then easy fillers around it. The more volume you get in ratios change of course.

alot of Top guy will do 90/10 some weeks and 70/30 other week. Some slow beginners are basically 50/50 on 7 hours a week and can only do easy work on the bike. due to lack of skill.

Also a heavy runner can not go by the 80/20 rule as all those slow miles are so much harder on their joint load. they will spot running due to injury before they lose wt.

A fast runner that does an easy 10 miles in 1:20 has less stress then a heavy runner doing 10 miles in 1:20 or even1:50.

Well, an overweight, beginner runner probably Can’t do zone 2 runs at all - it’ll be walking. But then again, 80/20 doesn’t really make much sense unless you’re running at least 4 times/week (for a single sport), depending on the duration, of course. I mean, running 5k 3 times per week Can get you in decent “beginner”-shape and if that’s all the time you have, increasing intensity would definately make a difference. However, running more often would probably be better in the long run, so it’s a little out of scope for this discussion.
Quote Reply
Re: Does training slower really make you faster? [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are defining zone 2 with HR then you'll be walking.

If you define zone 2 with pace then probably not
Quote Reply
Re: Does training slower really make you faster? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on your HR & pace zones And the terrain?
On a flat surface, they should correspond pretty well...
The point was that for people out of shape, there MAY be no zone 2 “running”. Technically you could run, But just getting started would you really run at a walking pace?
Quote Reply
Re: Does training slower really make you faster? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:

Were you adequately rested for that one quick km? Seems to me that you weren't or you would have been able to hold that pace for more than a few hundred meters.

Hi Mark,

Maybe not, which could have had an effect.

More annoying was the months of running, a lot of running, and seeing my speed slowly drop for the same HR / PE. I was careful to build the distance up slowly, never adding more than 10% a week.

After Christmas I went back to 'normal' training - fewer kms and intervals / tempo work and was running much better within a few weeks.

Everyone is different :) I had read a lot about aerobic only running, and gave it a try.

For reference (someone wrote above I wasn't running slowly enough), my HM HR was 173 Avg, recent max was 196 and my 'slow' running around 135. My pace just declined the whole time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I suppose it would take and experienced and well acquainted coach to realize how much higher end training could be utilized.

I think the one benefit coaches with some time under their belt have over the self coached athlete is when you're self coaching 1 yr of self coaching = 1 year of skill set development. Your tool box isn't that big. One year for some coaches = 20-50yr of skill set development. (although I'd argue if you're coaching 50 triathletes you're writing schedules and not really coaching. that's a different argument for a different day though)

When you've been coaching for 10 years your tool box barely fits in a 26ft panel truck. The self coached athlete can put their tool box in the back of a ford ranger after 10 yr of coaching themselves and have room left over for their bike.[/quote]
I think this analogy explains the benefit of coaching far better than anything I have come across (thus, why I decided to comment). I self-coached for years and was reasonably successful, given my limitations. When I started coaching high school runners, I trained them the way I would train. My ability to help them succeed four years later was so much greater for having added so many more tools to my box after working with 20-30 runners, both male and female, during those eight seasons of XC and track. And that was a small high school where I was lucky to fill out a full boys and girls XC team in some years. The smallest, least-important part of coaching is making a training schedule.

As for the OPs question, yes, it is very possible to run at comfortable day-to-day pace and then run fast. At the peak of my fitness, I did about 140 hours of aerobic-only riding and 115 hours of running in a Dec-February timeframe back in 07 and 08. At both of the duathlons I did in March 08, we opened up with sub-5 min miles and I was super comfortable. Unfortunately, I was too all-or-nothing then. I'm sure I would have been some percentage faster had I incorporated some threshold or steady running/cycling. Nearly 15 years later, my coaching toolbox is much larger than before and I'm much better at self-coaching and thus, a lot faster relative to my age/limitations, than I was then.
Quote Reply
Re: Does training slower really make you faster? [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When i started running it was at a13.5 min mile pace. It wasn't walking but not really running either.

I interpreted your post as a new person trying to run to HR and not being able to stay low enough. Running to a pace in zone 2 wouldn't pose that problem. Perhaps i was mistaken.
Last edited by: jaretj: Nov 1, 20 17:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Does training slower really make you faster? [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
reading through the links provided by Desert Dude, i found thios snippet posted by Steephen Seiler interesting.

"Hi,

Research I did with Arne Guellich at the German Sports Federation on 51 national team junior track pursuit riders suggested that that which distinguished responders (increased power at 4mM blood lactate) from non responders to a 15 week training period was actually that the non responders trained more in the lactate threshold to MLSS intensity range. Wacky I know, but that is what the data showed. Responders had more sub threshold training volume. Also, our interval training study on recreational cyclists suggested that accumulating 32 minutes of work at 90% HR max (9 mM blood lactate) induced positive changes in both fractional utilization and VO2 max. So, my thought would be to move some of the threshold trainin to long interval training. I find that interval durations of 7-10 minutes "force" athletes into the appropriate intensity. Rest duration 2 min. Two time gold medalist single sculler Olaf Tufter had 6 x 10 minutes at 90% as a bread and butter workout. For example, in his 2008 gold medal year, he performed that training session 27 times.

The two articles I refer to and many more are actually available to anyone interested on Researchgate.net."
Quote Reply
Re: Does training slower really make you faster? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
just terminology. sorry.

I am referring to anaerobic being at 4 mmols ( threshold) or about. As I pointed of a 7.5/ 10 effort of the scale of RPE. That said yes alot of good intervals are done in under 2 min 400 m intervals , 100 swim, and 1 km bike intervals.

Thanks

4mmol is still not really relevant for this sport
For my personal example - my best ever HIM power (some years ago) matches my 2mmol power from long ago when I thought lactate tests were useful - 300w.

For an example of an athlete much better than me

She came off the bike with a 16min lead in her last IM
FRC is the zone you would class as Vo2 effort
There were two FTP level structured sessions in the year shown - 1 as prep for an IM VR and one as prep for cycling national champs (won the TT and 3rd in RR). All the rest of the FTP and FRC/FTP time is incidental (bike racing, having a dig on hills etc) and some progressive extensive sets.
Engine was built by lots of structured Tempo and Sweetspot/extensive

My ITU athlete has a lot more time in Recovery zone and a bit more time in the over FTP zones, because that is relevant to her events. But still building the aerobic engine is the focus as even a 20min MTR race is predominantly aerobic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to reconcile a few things in your posts.

Are you a single sport runner, or a triathlete?

Your HM time of 1:28 is quite good, especially on such a small amount of volume: stated as 40km/week. That's barely enough volume to run much more than 10km in a a few times a week, if you have any frequency at all. Frankly, I'm not really sure how I'd put together a "reasonable" HM plan on 40km / week. A 15k long run only leaves 25km for the rest of the week.

I find it barely imaginable, that someone capable of stringing together 20km @ 4:10/km, after a couple months of building up to 80km/week that you couldn't even manage a single km at 4:30/km.

For a pure runner, 80km isn't really all that much (let alone 40km/week). All of the above makes much more sense to me in the context of a triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Does training slower really make you faster? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:

For my personal example - my best ever HIM power (some years ago) matches my 2mmol power from long ago when I thought lactate tests were useful - 300w.

She came off the bike with a 16min lead in her last IM
FRC is the zone you would class as Vo2 effort
There were two FTP level structured sessions in the year shown - 1 as prep for an IM VR and one as prep for cycling national champs (won the TT and 3rd in RR). All the rest of the FTP and FRC/FTP time is incidental (bike racing, having a dig on hills etc) and some progressive extensive sets.
Engine was built by lots of structured Tempo and Sweetspot/extensive

My ITU athlete has a lot more time in Recovery zone and a bit more time in the over FTP zones, because that is relevant to her events. But still building the aerobic engine is the focus as even a 20min MTR race is predominantly aerobic.

One of the most informative posts on ST.....this year!
ETA...Scroll up 2 posts to see the chart

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 2, 20 19:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
Kat_Kong wrote:
Hi all,

KK

Glad you posted this, and the replies are interesting.

My experience is no, it doesn't

Last year I got down to 1:28 for a HM (for me a PB) running 30-40k a week. That's about 4:09/km.

I really wanted to get better and had read a lot about the benefits of just easy running, so I set aside eight months for Z2 only training with the intention of building 10% a week to 80km a week (also seen as some kind of magic level).

This was August. By December I was running the 80k a week easily, but it was clear that I was slow. My HR for Z2 work had increased, not decreased. On training peaks, my efficiency score was getting worse and worse.

I started out running Z2 around 4:50 - 5:10 / km, after four months of the Z2 training I was more in the 5:20 - 5:30 range for the same HR.

Granted, four months is not a full application, but I would expect some improvement.

I then tried one quick km to see how bad it was, and the answer was really bad. I couldn't hold 4:30/km for more than a few hundred meters.

So in summary, lots of slow running ruined my running.

Reading the replies here convinces me that we are very much individual in our needs.

I do most of my running in low Z2, however, putting in some fast intervals works really well for me

Over the winter, I do a one hour interval training session, with program which is focused on 2mmol, 4mmol and VO2 Max pace. Typically each session is around 8km. In addition I run around 30-40km at an easy pace (Some weeks I run less and other weeks up to a total of 70km)

In the summer I don't do a dedicated interval session, however, I add some very fast pace intervals into my Z2 runs.... So I may run 15km with 500m to 1000m in Zone 4/5 every 4km

My Average distance this year is just under 40km per week

I run around 3h20 IM marathon and a 3hr stand alone marthon. My anaerobic capacity isn't great, however, I do run an 18m30s 5km and 39m10s 10km.
Quote Reply
Re: Does training slower really make you faster? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Triathletetoth wrote:
just terminology. sorry.

I am referring to anaerobic being at 4 mmols ( threshold) or about. As I pointed of a 7.5/ 10 effort of the scale of RPE. That said yes alot of good intervals are done in under 2 min 400 m intervals , 100 swim, and 1 km bike intervals.

Thanks

You do have to read into every test differently but learn what you get out of the test. You also cannot come pare numbers from years ago. My 2006 marathon time was slower then my 2009 ironman marathon time so did I under pace in 2006???

I have over 300 athletes data point tests that proves no one has gone beyond the test and those that try fail on race day. Also that of course you don't do ironman at 4 mmol test but if you never train there for a percentage of time you never get faster.

Never seen a power lifter with 10 lb plates going lighter makes you stronger.

I cannot comment on your athletes race performances/training as we do know have any information or knowledge of there issues. But this is the problem you are talking about the elite and fittest athletes some of which there zone 2 effort in 10 watts less then their zone 4 effort.

I AM TALKING ABOUT HUMANS WITH LIVES AND FAMILIES that try to cut corners and get no where.
You are making my point as well that she isn't a 80/20 ratio more 95/5 or less.
Also maybe she is exhausted?? If even on a hard climb she can't hit power past VO2 effort.
She is the opposite of a beginner/ novice/ average ironman athlete.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Does training slower really make you faster? [piratetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
piratetri wrote:
Take a recent example from pro Richard Murray who ripped a 28 min 10k at 4:32/mile. If you follow his Strava his easy run training is 7:30-8:00/mile. In interviews he mentions that other pros drop him in training because he runs so slow intentionally.

Yes, BUT, if you watch RM's YouTube videos (particularly his "run slow" video) he states categorically that he does those runs so slow in order to keep fresh for his HI track sessions, where he then rips out 2:12 / 800m reps...
Quote Reply
Re: Does training slower really make you faster? [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:
piratetri wrote:
Take a recent example from pro Richard Murray who ripped a 28 min 10k at 4:32/mile. If you follow his Strava his easy run training is 7:30-8:00/mile. In interviews he mentions that other pros drop him in training because he runs so slow intentionally.

Yes, BUT, if you watch RM's YouTube videos (particularly his "run slow" video) he states categorically that he does those runs so slow in order to keep fresh for his HI track sessions, where he then rips out 2:12 / 800m reps...

Correct! All those slow and aerobic runs become much more valuable with a sprinkling of high intensity in the training intensity distribution. I am in favor of slowing down the base/endurance/easy runs into zone 1 as it still provides the endurance adaptations compared to z2 which for some runners seems to become more "moderate" than "easy" judging by the talk test.
Quote Reply

Prev Next