Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
It is a pity the River Channel path is a barren wasteland with few services as I'd prefer to run down and back to Skaha with the floating bikini parade as a distraction but I guess they want to keep the spectators fed and watered along Main St.

One thing that will have old time IMC people wide eyed is just how much Penticton has grown since the last time IMC was in town.

I did a couple of the races that used the river channel path. Wasn't bad, but terrible for spectators. No shade and kinda boring too. Except Elvis!
Also, I'm pretty sure it's reserve land requiring another layer of approvals.

Last time I was in Penticton was 2017... I'm sure it hasn't changed too much since then. :-)

I have some holidays in lieu in 2021, maybe I'll head out to spectate.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed in terms of city growth. I moved here in May 2013. Its nuts the growth! But with that growth comes amazing brew pubs (Bad Tattoo, Neighbourhood brewing is now open, SlackWater) wineries (Time and Lakeshore wine centre) and food destinations and cafes like Wayne and Freda's.

general to thread as for KVR a few things IMO for no loops
- out and back there is room. Multiple laps there is not.
- after 10K is when people start to really drop and more medicals occur. while KVR accessible, not nearly as accessible as main street a block from hospital
- gets everyone off the KVR before dusk so no light generators required then athletes are in town with street lights
- and just FYI there is occasional wildlife at dusk on KVR as I have run into coyotes on that stretch!

Run in town will give athletes some mojo especially the tailgate party that will be lakeshore twice!

I have to say well done by Susy and team at Ironman on the course designs for bike and run.

the swim apparently is rumoured to change and go around the pier like the ITU world's did as that is where T1 is.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The KVR(T?) seems like a great idea, but the multiple in-town loops, not so appealing. I sure liked the epic journey of the run along Skaha Lake to OK Falls and back...when looped runs started to appear as the other ironman races cropped up they just seemed so...prosaic in comparison. I know 26 miles is 26 miles, but it was fun(?) to feel like you were actually going somewhere - even when the field got bigger and more crowded, Eastside Road was sure to take you pretty deep inside yourself, and only then would you be rewarded with the bustle of town.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my wife and young kids will be at Spanish Villa - so this is really cool spectator wise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was one of the four folks who did the (race) Covidman this year. Quite a different experience from the journey to OK Falls and back. The 1st third is tough going indeed. Even the downhill from the KVR t-around is no fun. But, the last third, if you pace yourself, seemed to me to be easier than the old run course.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
I was one of the four folks who did the (race) Covidman this year. Quite a different experience from the journey to OK Falls and back. The 1st third is tough going indeed. Even the downhill from the KVR t-around is no fun. But, the last third, if you pace yourself, seemed to me to be easier than the old run course.
I love a nice hard course..Most folks seem to have forgotten the old Peach Classic course in the 90s when we had to,not only ride out to Painted Rock but run up the 2k'ish climb to West Bench. Makes me proud of my 2:07 and top 10 finish back in the day. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That town loop with the three turnarounds looks a lot like the run course from world long-distance ITU in 2017, that was a 10k loop I think. I remember coming round on my second lap and being passed by Lionel Sanders doing what looked to me like 5k pace at the end of his 30k. He's not smooth looking when he runs but holy crap he is fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, everyone's talking about going up Vancouver hill, but I'm way more concerned with coming down it...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [samtridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed - that is going to be a quad crusher.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
perhaps we can a few winery aid stations
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the course update. Not on Facebook and IMC organizers don’t seem bothered to utilize the event mailing list.

First IM after upgrading from cancelled 70.3 Victoria.

Love a spectator friendly run course.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Run Course? [writersblock12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
writersblock12 wrote:
Thanks for the course update. Not on Facebook and IMC organizers don’t seem bothered to utilize the event mailing list.

First IM after upgrading from cancelled 70.3 Victoria.

Love a spectator friendly run course.

I got into Penticton through the same path as you (upgrading from Vic 70.3) and I did get the email on Friday afternoon (Dec 11). Look in your inbox or maybe your spam folder for the subject: 2021 Courses Now Available

They did utilize the event mailing list.

Cheers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next