Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
nope.. Denver is on the edge of overloading ICUs again, probably going to close gyms here in the next month.
Ice is what stops me running outside, snow isn't a problem, and I have a large wardrobe of gear for staying warm..

Well, there goes that. Denver is back down to Level 3. All indoor gyms are closing (i think?). I need to find somewhere to swim once or twice a week.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't run in the snow? You're missing out!
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our local gym has closed off every other treadmill. I am fine with running on the mill where other people are running. I don't have any issues with that. Mentally, I have a hard time doing long runs on the mill. I try to reserve it for speed workouts and fartleks. Long runs are always outside, even when it is bitter cold.
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Gym I go to - Earth Treks - in Englewood has reduced its capacity to 100 and the reservation system is challenging. It does not look good for the short term future....Time to hunker back down at home. Glad I just got a bunch of lifting equipment.
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Salomon Snowcross shoes or Icebugs are great for running outside in the winter. Running snowshoes too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using the treadmill a ton over the past year or two. There is no substitute for outdoor runs but my work schedule and dark neighborhood streets (and Karen's in white SUVs) makes the outdoor running a bit edgy during the winter. No way I'd have made the progress I've made without BarryP and a treadmill. I've ran through three NordicTracks and finally bit the bullet on a Woodway since the replacement part was 3+ months out.

Due to an injury right now (L4-L5 extrusion), I haven't been able to use it to the fullest extent yet...but dang, is it a dream come true! Here's to hoping I continue to make progress and get back to running ASAP!
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [bikerun247] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bikerun247 wrote:
I've been using the treadmill a ton over the past year or two. There is no substitute for outdoor runs but my work schedule and dark neighborhood streets (and Karen's in white SUVs) makes the outdoor running a bit edgy during the winter. No way I'd have made the progress I've made without BarryP and a treadmill. I've ran through three NordicTracks and finally bit the bullet on a Woodway since the replacement part was 3+ months out.

Due to an injury right now (L4-L5 extrusion), I haven't been able to use it to the fullest extent yet...but dang, is it a dream come true! Here's to hoping I continue to make progress and get back to running ASAP!

Actually, I'd. say the TM,if used correctly, can be a true substitute for outdoor runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gyms are all closed here for the next wave and foreseeable future. Plus they’re dropping like flies - regular gyms and spin gyms. Soul Cycle didn’t last too long.
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [insulinpower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had a light dusting and I realized my running shoes were no good for the season. I can't bring myself to go to the gym to run on a treadmill with a face mask on and have already spent a ton on toys this year so treadmill probably won't happen until new house (and I'd still prefer outdoors as much as possible). I went and bought a pair of gore-tex trail running shoes (Brooks Cascadia 15 GTX).

If Rogue ever gets stuff back in stock I'll be buying a full power rack, plates, bar etc from them though. Getting to point where I'm sick of going to gym. Just with the time wasted it's worth having my own strength training equipment.
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I have only done some quick walking on the TM ( WITH a mask) to get warmed up before my weights session, and haven't yet tried to ramp it up to a legit run

That being said, with a La Niña forecast for this Winter (warm & rainy) I think I can keep running on the road

FWIW: I did a pretty powerful hi rpm one-hour ride on the stationary bike at the gym last night WITH a mask

It fucking sucked

Not only was breathing a bitch, but the sweat dripping off my noggin rolled down and soaked my mask

Yeah, I'll do it again, now that I know how it's gonna go, and prepare accordingly [bring a couple/change of masks?]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switch to trail shoes for more traction in the winter and bust out the fat bike. No treadmill for me.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a follow up:

I snagged a Precor 956i from a local outlet. I paid a decent amount of money for it, but it is *totally* worth it. I ordered the Runn sensor, too (which I'm still waiting on). Super stoked as the ease of rolling out of bed and having a treadmill eliminates any excuses for me.

However, I fully intend to still do my Z2 work outside in the snow with train shoes (as long as I'm not dealing with ice).

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [Dinsky11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dinsky11 wrote:
I have escaped to Texas but spent 40 years running in Minnesota. The only time I resorted to gym treadmills was if it was below 0 F or if work interfered. Otherwise layer so that you are somewhat chilled to start and wear cleats when icy. Embrace winter and run outside as often as is feasible.

This is me too - Edmonton, Alberta. I run outdoors year round.
Quote Reply

Prev Next